Your favourite quotes

-“I learned that just beneath the surface there's another world, and still different worlds as you dig deeper. I knew it as a kid, but I couldn't find the proof. It was just a kind of feeling. There is goodness in blue skies and flowers, but another force--a wild pain and decay--also accompanies everything.”

-“Sex is a doorway to something so powerful and mystical, but movies usually depict it in a completely flat way.”

-“People say my films are dark. But like lightness, darkness stems from a reflection of the world. The thing is, I get these ideas that I truly fall in love with. And a good movie idea is often like a girl you're in love with, but you know she's not the kind of girl you bring home to your parents, because they sometimes hold some dark and troubling things.”

-“You're right on the money with that. We're all like detectives in life. There's something at the end of the trail that we're all looking for. ”

-“You can understand conflict, but you don't have to live in it.”

-“I love the French. They’re the biggest film buffs and protectors of cinema in the world. They really look out for the filmmaker and the rights of the filmmaker, and they believe in final cut.”

- David Lynch -

Last edited:
“The Great Architect of the universe never invented a substitute for results.” - Hobart McWhorter

"Do. Or do not. There is no try." -Yoda

Basically the same thing.

can't remember the movie, but I kinda liked that one:

** secretary passes phone to boss ** :

"Sir, here's a phone call from Atlantis for you!!"

"Thank you Katy. But that phone call is from Atlanta."

" 'I wet my lips I thought I had it made/Like Valentino with a handgrenade'? Well, that's what happens when you let the bass player write the lyrics, they get carried away... "

Bruce Dickinson discussing Skid Row's "Big Guns" on his Radio 6 show.

Last edited:
"I know how to make pancakes - I would have got my pancake proficiency badge if my Brownie pack hadn't been closed down for armed robbery!"

- Maid Marian, as "reimagined" by Tony Robinson :lol:

Jimmy Page expounds the virtues of skiffle:

"You could learn one chord and just strum it all day and be having a great time!"

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it, Yngwie :p

Heh, didn't know this existed.

Okay, so of the top of my head there are the two quotes I have in my signature - I copy them here in case the signature gets changed in the future:

“It profits a man nothing to give his soul for the whole world ... but for Wales?...”

- Thomas More in the play and the movie A Man for All Seasons, by Robert Bolt [After Richard Rich falsely testifies against More near the end, while also revealing he has been made Attorney General for Wales as a reward from Cromwell for committing perjury]

"They want to qualify their boys for jobs in the modern world. You can hardly blame them, can you?"
"Oh yes," said Scott-King. "I can and do." [...]
"If you approve, headmaster, I will stay as I am here as long as any boy wants to read the classics. I think it would be very wicked indeed to do anything to fit a boy for the modern world."

- Evelyn Waugh, in Scott-King's Modern Europe

as well as one of my all time favourites (though it's Chesterton, I could fill this whole thread solely by his quotes):

"The modern world is not evil; in some ways the modern world is far too good. It is full of wild and wasted virtues. When a religious scheme is shattered (as Christianity was shattered at the Reformation), it is not merely the vices that are let loose. The vices are, indeed, let loose, and they wander and do damage. But the virtues are let loose also; and the virtues wander more wildly, and the virtues do more terrible damage. The modern world is full of the old Christian virtues gone mad. The virtues have gone mad because they have been isolated from each other and are wandering alone. Thus some scientists care for truth; and their truth is pitiless. Thus some humanitarians only care for pity; and their pity (I am sorry to say) is often untruthful."

- G. K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy

Last edited:
"Remember one thing. Fruit isn't candy" - Swedish Prime Minister Göran Persson interviewed on a kids TV show. I have used the quote in uni paper assignments and seminars for my personal amusement on several occasions.

"Remember one thing. Fruit isn't candy"

This reminded me of the "a clever person knows that tomato is a fruit, a wise person knows not to put it into a fruit salad" quote, but I don't know who said it first.

Aside from the one I use as my signature, I quite like the following one from Nye Bevan, the Minister for Health in Clement Attlee’s post-war UK government who was responsible for the establishment of the NHS:

Illness is neither an indulgence for which people have to pay, nor an offence for which they should be penalised, but a misfortune the cost of which should be shared by the community.

It can be paired with this one:

No society can legitimately call itself civilized if a sick person is denied medical aid because of lack of means.

Back