Your all-time greatest guitarist list

1- I didn't say anything about Adrian Smith, his work imho very different than janick's and Dave's. It has more soul in it. King In Crimson, (and his work on Accident of birth), stranger in a Strange Land being a prime examples.

2- I didn't say Slash's solos are good because it has a bad ass attitude. Instead I say they're good, because they can convey specific emotions (badass attitude being one) and doing it clearly, honestly.

He does solos, not because a fast solo is needed just at the end of the second verse or during interlude (like MOST of the metal songs) but instead, his solos are always as expressive as lyrics. Take estranged, Rocket Queen, November Rain, sweet child o'mine for example. Those solos are more melodic than most of the Iron Maiden solos. And you can feel pain (November Rain), anger (Back Off Bitch), desperation (double Talkin Jive), hope (sweet Child O'Mine), eroticism (Rocket Queen) on his solos. He's playing his solos, the same way a vocalist writes and songs some lyrics.

By the way, I don't deny fast solos have soul in it. Tornado Of Souls, Ashes In Your Mouth by Marty Freidman (Megadeth), Far beyond The Sun by Yngwie Malmsteen or Under A GlassMoon by John Petrucci (Dream Theater) comes to my mind.

3- I know Aldrich, as I listen most of the 80's bands, including Whitesnake and Dio. There are many other guitarists I would be interested before him when it comes to hard rock or blues, such as Richie Kotzen.

eddiesson said:
He does solos, not because a fast solo is needed just at the end of the second verse or during interlude (like MOST of the metal songs) but instead, his solos are always as expressive as lyrics. Take estranged, Rocket Queen, November Rain, sweet child o'mine for example. Those solos are more melodic than most of the Iron Maiden solos. And you can feel pain (November Rain), anger (Back Off Bitch), desperation (double Talkin Jive), hope (sweet Child O'Mine), eroticism (Rocket Queen) on his solos. He's playing his solos, the same way a vocalist writes and songs some lyrics.
Your´re talking about the emotions YOU can feel. I have listened to some of their albums (even tried 'the best of') and they have never made me feel that. That´s why I don´t listen to them.
eddiesson said:
3- I know Aldrich, as I listen most of the 80's bands, including Whitesnake and Dio. There are many other guitarists I would be interested before him when it comes to hard rock or blues, such as Richie Kotzen.
I know Slash, as I ALSO listen to most of the 80's bands. There are many other guitarists I would be interested before him when it comes to hard rock or blues, such as Dough Aldrich.  B)

I know next to nothing about blues so my guitarists are limited to hard rock/metal. In no particular order (except for the first  :innocent:)

Jimi Hendrix
Ritchie Blackmore
Jimmy Page
Randy Rhoads
Marty Friedman
John Petrucci ( dream theater)
Eddie Van Halen
Donald "Buck Dharma" Roeser (blue oyster cult)
Dimebag Darrell
Mark Knofler

fenderhwy1 said:
I know next to nothing about blues so my guitarists are limited to hard rock/metal. In no particular order (except for the first  :innocent:)

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Maybe be you dont know much about blues, but the above two guitarists owe so much to blues and posses a strong blues influence. It was the likes of Hendrix and co that adopted a sort of distorted blues sound and spawned the hard rock type sound that would eventually become metal (with a little help from The Who as well).

Bleh. In descending order:

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi
David Gilmour
Ritchie Blackmore
Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Brian May
Ron Wood
Keith Richards
Vivian Campbell
Steve Morse
Mick Box
Pete Townshend

And so on... I forgot a lot and when I look at the list tomorrow, I will think "Hell, how could I???!!!"

Albie said:
Maybe be you dont know much about blues, but the above two guitarists owe so much to blues and posses a strong blues influence. It was the likes of Hendrix and co that adopted a sort of distorted blues sound and spawned the hard rock type sound that would eventually become metal (with a little help from The Who as well).
said, but they werent exclusively blues guitarists.
Thanks. I actually meant that I didnt know of any great blues guitarists. Hendrix and Page were influenced by blues like you said, but they werent exclusively blues guitarists. I probably didnt phrase it properly in my original post.

These 3 guys are my favourites:

1. Ritchie Blackmore
2. Victor Smolski
3. Michael Angelo

These guys are also awsome:

Tony Iommi
Steve Morse
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Janick Gers
Dave Mustaine
Al Pitrelli
Criss Oliva (R.I.P)
Michael Romeo
Paul Quinn

Here is another list of best guitarists - Top 200.  It is from 2005, but BLABBRERMOUTH.NET had it on its front page.

http://www.digitaldreamdoor.com/pages/best_newguitar.html

Iron Maiden boys don't make it until #74 and #75.  :(
Judging by the top 10, the voters were mostly into classic rock.  As usual, these things are completely personal and are almost impossible to present are objective.

74. Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
75. Dave Murray - Iron Maiden

96. Glen Tipton - Judas Priest

173. Dave Mustaine - Metallica, Megadeth  :(

1. Jimi Hendrix* - Jimi Hendrix Experience
  2. Eric Clapton - Yardbirds, Cream, Derek & The Dominos, Solo
  3. Jimmy Page - Yardbirds, Led Zeppelin, The Firm
  4. Jeff Beck - Yardbirds, Jeff Beck Group, Solo
  5. Eddie Van Halen - Van Halen
  6. Stevie Ray Vaughan* - Stevie Ray Vaughan & Double Trouble
  7. Joe Satriani - Solo
  8. Ritchie Blackmore - Deep Purple, Rainbow, Blackmores Night
  9. Steve Vai - David Lee Roth, Whitesnake, Solo
10. David Gilmour - Pink Floyd, Solo

Genghis Khan said:
Iron Maiden boys don't make it until #74 and #75.  :(

74. Adrian Smith - Iron Maiden
75. Dave Murray - Iron Maiden
144. Janick Gers - Iron Maiden

1.tony iommi
2.adrian smith
3.eddie van halen
4.steve vai
5.alvin lee
6.stevie ray vaughn
7.dave murray
8.jimi hendrix
9.chuck schuldiner
10.jimmy page

1. Randy Rhoads
2. Either Davey or H
3. either Davey or H
4. Glenn tipton
5. K.K. Downing
6. Dave Mustaine
7. Janick Gers(I really like him, just not as much as Davey or H)
8. Yngwie Malmsteen
9. Eddie Van Halen
10. Jimmy Page

In no particular order:

R. Blackmore
Y. Malmsteen
J. Hendrix
J. Beck
S. Vai
J. Petrucci
Gary Moore
Dave Murray
Randy Rhoads
E. Van Halen
John Pollard (from Phantanima) - a new name!

Tony Iommi
Alex Lifeson
Ritchie Blackmore
Adrian Smith
Randy Rhoads
Bill Steer
Denis D'Amour (Piggy - R.I.P.)
James Hetfield
Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmour
Rory Gallagher
Larry 'Rhino' Reinhardt
Eddie Van Halen
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Jimmy Page
Pepeu Gomes
Michael Schenker
Uli Jon Roth
Rudolf Schenker
Eddie Van Halen
Muddy Waters
Bo Diddley
Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Johnny Winter
Eric Clapton
Pete Townshend
Martin Barre
Wes Montgomery
George Benson
Django Reinhardt
Rik Emmett
Jeff Beck
Garry 'Gaz' Jennings
Michael Amott
Gregor Mackintosh
Chuck Schuldiner
Andy Summers
Robert Fripp
Vernon Reid

Update:

Adrian Smith
Dave Murray
Glenn Tipton
K.K. Downing
Kai Hansen
Alex Lifeson
Roy Z
Mark Knopfler
Per Nilsson
Isaac Delahaye
Jon Schaffer
Hendrik-Jan de Jong
Mark Knopfler
Tony Iommi
Janick Gers
Craig Goldy
Vivian Campbell
Nils Norberg
Django Reinhardt
Lars Johansson
David Gilmour
Grant Green
John McLaughlin
Steve Hillage
Andy Powell
Ted Turner

1:Nuno Bettencort
2:Eddie Van Halen
3:Alex Lifeson
4:Richie Blackmore
5:Adrian Smith
6:Dave Murray
7:Roy Z
8:David Gimour
9:Micheal Schenker
10: John Petrucci

My 10 favourites in no particular order :

Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Tony Iommi
Richie Blackmore
Jeff Beck
Dave Murray
Adrian Smith
Tom Morello
Zal Cleminson
Angus Young

My greatest guitarist list differs considerably from my favorite guitarist list... top 10 in no particular order...

Jeff Beck
Jimi Hendrix
Jimmy Page
Edward Van Halen
Chet Atkins
Les Paul
Django Reinhardt
Alex Lifeson
Duane Allman
Barney Kessel

Back