Your age, your life, your music and your turning point?

Hmmm, Turning points, good 'un

Life:- Lifes to serious to be taken seriously
Music:- Mostly rock/metal, throw in a little country now and then for a change

Turning points:-
Hearing my brothers prog rock stuff in the mid 70's, Floyd, Yes, Genesis, that type of stuff
Hearing The Nile Song by Pink Floyd, I wanted more of that loud crunching guitar and heavy drumming and wild screaming vocals
Going to my first rock concert, Camel, it's the only way to see live music
Seeing Judas Priest on Top Of The Pops performing Take On The World, now there was music with POWER!
Number Of The Beast released, now made me an Iron Maiden obsessive
Bruce leaving Maiden  :(, kinda lost interest in Maiden for a long while, got into acid dance/trance type stuff, did a lot of drugs/drink, in fact the whole of the 90's seems a bit of a haze now.
Moving to Canada, discovering Canadian rock legends, old and new, Bruce reuniting with Maiden  :bigsmile:, getting back into the whole live music scene again. Oh, and country music, I can only listen to the same 4 AC/DC and Led Zep tracks on the radio so much, so switching over to country music stations is always good for a giggle, some of those songs are just downright tooo funny!!!
Message boards, rekindling my interest even furthur in old bands loved and finding new bands through other peoples recommendations on these message boards.

Urm, so the most major turning point I think reading back over that little list is probably hearing Pink Floyds Nile Song. Hope I never reach that turning point when I lose interest in new and/or live music.

P.S. The Trews live are amazing! and they still play the small club circuit here in Canada, highly recommended!

Forostar said:
Who of you people owns one or more CDs of an artist whose discography has started in 2000 or later?  ;)
Biomechanical & Raging Speedhorn spring to mind.

Although I do have a one or two albums from emusic of artists that fall into this category as well like Lamb of God.

And does Beatallica count? :D

My turning point: My brother got Dance of Death for Christmas in 2003. He then kept telling me that I had to listen to one song, and (unfortunantly) I did, but only half ear so I didn't exactly go nuts... I probably just stood with my arms crossed waiting for a chance to go back to my room or something. It was Paschendale that he played to me. I went back to borrow the CD a few days later, and THAT'S when I got impressed. So basically, I started to get as much Maien as possible... First burned CD's and then I bought 'em. Before this, I listened to the kind of music that's not -to-be-named. But this is the day I got into Metal.

Turning Point: Well, back then we all listened to those radio friendly stuff, but then eventually I got disinterested due to repetitive stuff and I then delved into the world of heavy metal. I heard from others that it was bad or evil or stuff like that, but when I gave it a try, there wasn't anything that didn't get my interest. I slowly got into Scorpions, Metallica, Megadeth, but I wanted to explore more. Then my mom got me Dance Of Death, and I met good old Maiden. Maiden became a gateway, going through power metal, their classical roots, and of course Priest. Needless to say, I commend my skeptical nature for making me listen to timeless music like this. My musical taste can be summed to lyrics that help tell a story, and of course musicsmanship that can be anything as long as the tune carries the theme of the music, like a balance between technicality and style.
Maiden has made my life so much better.

VodaWolph said:
P.S. The Trews live are amazing! and they still play the small club circuit here in Canada, highly recommended!

*I* saw the Trews when they were still One Eyed Trouser Snake in Antigonish, where they are all from.

First Turning Point:  First, as a child I used to listen to whatever my parents were listening, which were a lot of ballads (favourites of mum) and funk & reggae (favourites of dad), but then a cousin of mine introduced me to Iron Maiden when I was like 8 more or less, and all the "classic stuff" such as Metallica, Def Leppard, AC/DC, and I also used to listen to the hard rock on MTV when I was 11 such as Limp Bizkit, and all that kind of things that they used to play.

Second Turning Point: When I was like 13 or 14 Onhell came to visit his father and introduced me to a lot of metal bands, and I mean a lot, very rare and unique music, and I thought I'd never listen to any other music, silly me... By this time it was when I discovered In Flames, Opeth, Dream Theater, Rhapsody, Icecd Earth and I found another few bands on my own such as Kreator and Cannibal Corpse.

Third Turning Point: When I was 16, my interest for music grew and grew since I was playing on a band, and I realized metal was not the only path to follow (even though It's still my favourite), but I got into Miles Davis, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Jamiroquai, Rage Against the Machine, B. B. King, Stevie Wonder, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin,  The Doors, The Monkeys, Nina Simone, Jimi Hendrix, Red Hot Chili Peppers and a lot, a lot of new metal, (not the genre Nü Metal, I mean newer Metal bands). 

Now I can listen almost anything, however I'm a little bit closed to the Happy Punk and Emo scenes, I just can't stand them, but appart from that, I really love Jazz, Funk, Classic Rock.  I'm still very young and I know I can still find many many other bands and new forms or music, unlike you old guys who fall asleep everywhere and are on a wheelchair lol, just kidding, please don't take it seriously haha. :)
Albie said:
And does Beatallica count? :D

HELL YEAH!

Good 'un.

I'll never reach that stage where I'm not interested in listening to new stuff. I can put JP on, then my beloved "Mighty Rearranger", then Deep Purple, then, G. Moore, then "On An Island" [David Gilmour] So many reviews said that album was boring. Why? It's great. My favourite track on it is "This Heaven" :innocent:

Turning point 1: When I bought an MP3 player, two years ago.  (I know some people here might have less than positive opinions on MP3, but bear with me.)  It really got me listening to music; before that, I didn't really know what I liked and I didn't really listen to music at all.  I somehow got into rock, then hard rock, and metal.  This was an eye-opener for me, and got me interested in music.
The first bands I listened to properly were Guns 'N Roses, Deep Purple, and Metallica, all of which I listened to from CDs.  I can't quite remember where those CDs came from, though...  I certainly didn't buy them.  I guess they were my parents', but my parents aren't exactly metalheads.  Now I have no idea where they are, as I just copied them on my PC as MP3s and forgot about the CDs afterwards. 
But anyway, I got more of these bands as MP3s from my friends.  In addition, I also got into AC/DC and Maiden at this point, also as MP3s.  For a long time, these five bands were the only music I listened to.  After that, I expanded into some other bands, eg. Priest, Megadeth, Sabbath, Iced Earth, and Bruce.  Most of these bands still form the core of my favourite music today.

Turning point 2: When I started buying CDs instead of downloading, about a year ago when AMOLAD was released.  This didn't really change my musical tastes, but it got me supporting artists.  Actually, just today I bought two albums (Angel of Retribution and The Razors Edge), and also discovered a music store which I had passed numerous times but never entered.  It's got loads of music, and a lot of bands and albums I hadn't even seen in other stores.  Some of my friends don't understand why I buy music (why spend the money when you can download?), but the sheer thrill of being in a music store buying a new album is already something you don't get with MP3s.  Plus, the sound quality is so much better.

I'm still looking for a turning point 3 that would get me exploring more new music.  At the moment I'm limited almost exclusively to metal and relatively few artists.  There are a lot of bands and albums I would like to explore, but can't really find the time for.  At the moment, I'm quite content with the music I listen to, but it wouldn't hurt to broaden my musical tastes.

Take On The World" was the 1st JP song I ever heard & I still love it today.Invader, I notice you've bought "Angel Of Retribution" -- put track #8 [Hellrider] on LOUD !  :bigsmile:
I agree you can't force somebody to share your taste but you can't force <i>yourself</i> to like something if you don't. I think "Made In Japan" is the best live album ever [that version of "Strange Kind Of Woman" is amazing] & nobody is going to tell me otherwise. :yey:

Why are people, including myself, still talking about , say, Zeppelin now? They were bloody good, that's why. This is coming from someone who [sadly] wasn't even around to see them, they'd disbanded before I was even thought of :(

Ok, old topic, but a good convo!

When I was a kid, my dad always had the radio on, but I kept thinking that there must be something bettet to listen to.  When I the 12-13 age, one of my buddies turned me onto 'hard rock'-- he was older than I was, but had me listening to Van Halen, Dokken, Crue, and the like (this must have been '86-ish).  That seemed to be pretty good for me, the kind of thing I really enjoyed (Hair metal stuff, I guess).

When his brother came back from Germany, we were all fearful, because he had become a 'Metal Head'-- he listened to Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Ozzy, and the like.  However, that was the real start to my life, cause I hadn't heard music before that.  In a short time we became good friends and he told me that I was going to see Maiden's SSOASS concert-- I didn't know much about them, so he gave me a Maiden mix and I was a changed person!  From that point, my ideas of what music were clarified for me.

Now, as time went on, about 5 years later, I had kids and didn't have any contact with anyone that knew good new music.  I lived for about a solid decade with nothing but old tapes that I had around, no new music, and a waning interest in what I had been listening to.  I thought that music that I liked had died. 

So, new turning point for me:  I was watching ESPN and saw the advert for Dance Of Death!  I said 'hey that is the shit I like!'  -- at that time I was in college, while working 60 hours a week, dealing with 3 kids and trying not to kill my wife.  After class, I stopped into the record store and grabbed the disc-- it is about an hour drive from school to my house, so I listened to it all the way home.  I remember reading a post by SMX about how he was so moved by Paschendale that he had to stop along the road and read the lyrics.  I was about the same... I remember driving along at night, listening to the album, and I just had to stop along side the road and read the book, cover to cover.  I felt reborn!!

Not too long after, I got divorced and had the ability to listen to more of what I liked--- I got AMOLAD and took my kid to the concert... joined this board and you guys have been great at shoveling new and old (new to me) stuff down my throat ever since!! 

So, to Foro's (old) post, I can dig where the friend came from, sometimes there is a point in life that nothing seems new.. but with just the right spark, it is all good again.

Sure, you bet!

I always find that my mood is much better when I'm listening to music that I like... my tunes will sometimes fit my mood, but on occasion, when i'm feeling 'down', I'll put on something that I know I listen to in a good mood and that helps!

Wasted CLV said:
I remember reading a post by SMX about how he was so moved by Paschendale that he had to stop along the road and read the lyrics.

Actually, that was "Ghost Of The Navigator" the day Brave New World came out. :bigsmile:

The day Dance Of Death came out, I listened to the first half in the car on the way home. Didn't hear "Paschendale" until I was home - but when I did hear it, I played it about five times in a row, utterly amazed for every second of all five plays.

Oh, OK... still makes sense.  I just remember seeing you make that statement, about pulling over and remembering having a similar feeling!

Age 48.

Turning points, just going through one now actually.
I started off with Slade, Sweet etc, then bang, someone bought me Sabbath Vol 4 and that was the start of the slippery slope.
Then it was Sabbath, I saw Rush's first UK tour in '76, and around that time also saw Motorhead when Larry Wallis(Pink Fairies )was playing with them, before Fast Eddie Clark joined.AC/DC's first UK tour with Bon Scott, Aerosmiths first UK tour on the release of the Rocks album.I saw Blue Oyster Cult, branched out into Wishbone Ash. then saw Robin Trower a week later.I've seen Thin lizzy, UFO with Schenker, Budgie, Led Zeppelin at Knebworth, Judas priest several times, 1st was the Sin after Sin tour and others i,ve forgotten about.

1st turning point:-

I wanted something heavier.Fortunately the NWOBHM came about, where I got into Iron Maiden, Angel Witch, Diamond Head etc etc and saw all of those bands.Another legendary gig was the 'Heavy Metal Holocaust' at Port Vale football Ground.It was billed as the loudest gig ever in the UK, and featured Riot, Triumph, Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush, Blizzard of OZ, and Motorhead.
Unfortunately with the possible exception of Maiden, most of the NWOBHM bands couldn't cut it on record, also Judas priest went out of the equation when I saw them on Top of the Pops with "Hell Bent for Leather" utter embarrassing shite.

2nd Turning point:-

still looking for something nastier, fortunately Metallica, Slayer, etc arrived on the scene, along with Venom, who although crap on record, were an amazing live experience.

Still looking for something heavier.Along came the likes of Death Metal. Morbid Angel, Carcass, who I saw supporting Death Angel at the Liverpool Bierkeller, Bolt Thrower, Napalm Death & Obituary etc

3rd Turning Point:-Epicus Doomicus Metallicus(Candlemass) gave me my love of Doom Metal along with ST Vitus, Dream Death, Pentagram, Mercyful Fate etc.

However I still craved heavier music and branched further into the extremities of Funeral Doom/Death with the likes of Thergothon, Ahab, Worship, Catacombs, Moss and my all time favourite band Evoken.

4th Turning point:-

The problem with Funeral Doom is its repetetiveness(with the exception of Evoken) so I became bored with it.Along came Eyehategod and my love of all things Sludge was born.

Latest Turning point:-

I have discovered a love of Stoner Rock and seem to have gone full circle, listening to Nebula ,Lowrider, Kyuss, Eternal Elysium and all things heavy, fuzzy, and sounding like a regenerated Black Sabbath, and with a 70's feel.I will also listen to 'jam' bands like Earthless and Tia Carerra with endless guitar solos and tracks going on forever.

There are some incredible 'new ' bands out there who have started since 2000.Unearthly Trance,Toner Low, Humanfly Sourvein,Sarpanitum,Sea of Bones, High on Fire, Gojira, the list goes on, it just depends what 'strain' of metal you listen to.

Wow I certainly would like to be in your place and experience those seventies gigs! Judas Priest, Sin After Sin, Rush's first UK tour is also very memorable, I guess!

Thanks for the story, and don't forget to check out the new Candlemass, the media are raving about it (still have to buy it myself).

Yes, they're great memories.My wife wants me to sell all my vinyl as they take up a lot of space, but I can't bring myself to do it, even though I'll never play them.I have some pretty rare valuable stuff as well.As well as the Soundhouse Tapes, I have Get yer Rocks off by Def Leppard, Motorheads 1st album with the dogs head in Silver rather than white, stuff like that.

All I can say is don't ever get shot of 'em. I hate myself for getting rid of my vinyl as soon as I got them on CD - stupid mistake.

What can I say , I'm 20 years old and I've been hooked on heavy metal since the age of 14 . VH1 is to blame  :D . I started with the oldies and I'm going to continue in that manor . Aside from Maiden , I listen to Dio , Saxon , Raven , Accept , Judas Priest , Venom , etc. I got to understand the old in order to understand the new , as far as music is concerned . My hobbies are mainly photography and reading ( war novels - Sven Hassel is the best :D ) . Last year my dream came true : i saw Maiden for the first time and also had the oportunity to take some photos of them . I want to take photos with more bands . Next time I see Maiden I'll ask Bruce if he can take take me on tour on Ed Force One :)) so that i can document  their life on the road in photos  :yey:. Yeah right ... like that's gonna happen anytime soon . That's about it for now . Open for more questions . :)

I'm currently 17(it will change one day).
I started with metal when I was 14. My first metal band was... Iron Maiden. And from that point on it became my favourite band. I'm very conservative to "new" bands. Actually I don't play new bands. The youngest band I listen to is Rhapsody(which is also my second favourite). I like the old bands more. Judas Priest, Manowar, Led Zeppelin. I think they are way cooler than most new bands.
I've never been to concert. Yeah it's pretty shame, but I don't think it's something I couldn't live without. I'm looking forward to see Maiden live(hope they'll come soon), but if they won't... well gotta hope.

I was absolutely amazed that I didn't know about Scorpions concert two days ago. I was, let me guess, five minutes from them, and had no idea! That's what I call pitty. But it's good example of how I don't need concerts.

Back