Worth Fighting For

Right. You asked for it....

• One should die proudly when it is no longer possible to live proudly - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • To know what is right and not to do it is the worst cowardice - Confucius
  • What you do is of little significance, but it is very important that you do it - Gandhi
  • It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them - Alfred Adler

And the best one:

• No one ever won a war by dying for his country. You win it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country - George S. Patton

:rolleyes:

I forget who said it, but I've always believed in the motto

"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."

IronDuke said:
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one."
William Stekel

Don't think this as me been educated, rather me been able to do a Google search. ;)

Albie said:
William Stekel

Don't think this as me been educated, rather me been able to do a Google search. ;)

That's being educted, :) some folks can't even do that.

While I like the quote, I don't entirely agree with it, sometimes people are faced with live or die situations involving some ideal they hold dear and many choose death over subjegation, torture, etc.

A good example are the Jews, Many chose to modernize and follow the Jewish Enlightment (Haskala) over what later became known as "Orthodoxy" and other later chose to convert to Christianity, even if they were simply keeping up appearances, to make their life easier.

However, the point being, I doubt any of us have ever been in such a situation or ever will be, so it is easy for us to judge sitting comfortably in front of our computer screens.

I think music is something worth fighting for, let me explain myself:

I used to be in a catholic school when I was in Junior High, but that was the time when Onhell came to Mexico and he showed me a lot of metal, which I proudly love now. So he went back to U.S.A., and I went back to school with the new music I loved and love. 

What happened, is that they called me Satan-worshipper for listening to that kind of music, but I stood up, and said I had a free will, and that I could listen to any music I liked, and no one should try to censore it. If someone likes pop, they are free to listen pop, and so with the other genres.

Unfortunately, (AT LEAST IN MY COUNTRY), metal is often associated with Satan and other demonic stuff.

Metal_made said:
Unfortunately, (AT LEAST IN MY COUNTRY), metal is often associated with Satan and other demonic stuff.
But we all are Satanists :huh:

If you don't like Satan, get the hell out of this forum :wacko:

sarcasm

I think the truth is worth fighting for...although sometimes you may find that you're fighting yourself to make it known

That is very vague and one person's truth can be another person's bullshit (Creationism anybody?)

Onhell said:
That is very vague and one person's truth can be another person's bullshit (Creationism anybody?)
Very, very true; but if you feel strongly about it, fight for it. It may well mean that others will disagree or even try and discredit you, but you still have that right to say "This is my belief". This is what freedom of speech gives us (and I wholly advocate freedom of speech).

After all, our friend - Phillip E. Johnson - still soldiers on.

PRIDE. Yes, that’s what worth fighting for. All your fights are for this simple thing; be it for your pride as the child of your parents, or for serving your country. Albie, even your love for the dogs derives from the pride (subliminally, ofcourse) of helping some poor mutts.

Robin McAuley said:
Are you saying that every act of putting yourself at risk for someone or something is to make you feel good about yourself? Have you ever heard of compassion and unselfishness? How sad... :(

I think it was loosely covered by saying it is subliminal. I believe we do feel better about ourselves if we do fight for someone else, whether that be the motivation or not is down to the individual. But most will fight for others for unselfish reasons.

Serratia said:
Have you ever heard of compassion and unselfishness? How sad... :(

I don't belive that an action can be completely unselfish, with the exception for reflexes, which is of course not something you decide yourself, so I guess reflexes are disqualified. Let me give a few examples. Imagine you are walking down an alley, and some miserable bloke sits there and begs for money. Let us pretend you give..Err lets say you give 10 000 dollars to him, and you can easily afford it. Does that make you feel good? Yes, if you don't have some serious problems. Do you want to feel good? Yes, and everybody knows that each person in the world wants to feel good. Therefore, the action is not unselfish because you are also gained and you are aware of it.

The other example: Imagine you have a girlfriend that you love (or perhaps you don't have to imagine) do you want to make her happy or miserable? Of course happy. Do you feel good by making her happy? Yes. Therefore, the actions to make her happy are selfish, since you recive gain and are aware of that it makes you happy too.   

The name of this topic is "Worth Fighting For", gentlemen. I believe that the meaning of fighting for a cause is not to make yourself feel better or happier. It's just a side-effect. Not to mention the times when you have to make yourself feel bad, to sacrifice something in order to make the other one happy, or to help your cause...

Not getting too philosophical here, but everything we do... even sacrifice is selfish, that is why I didn't bother giving a similar response to Robin's post, because even though I disagree, at some level it makes sense. Plus, sacrifice, in the long run does make you feel better. Nobody wants to feel like shit, even if it is done on purpose. The idea of sacrifice is you suffer now, to be better off tomorrow.

sorry i couldn't post earlier, had a class test you know..
ok, i was probably a bit too frontal to say that all your fights are for pride, but than again, think about it. Serratia, you say pride is just the side-effect. but often this side-effect drives your compassion. you fight for your country's freedom - out of sheer compassion, ofcourse - but you are also proud of your patriotism. isn't that particular pride worth fighting for? worth dying for?

or you save your friend from a rabid dog (no offence Albie -_-). the pride you derive as a result (again subliminaly), isn't that worth fighting for? so i stand on my point, that while not the only thing - but one of the primary things worth fighting for.

I see what you're saying here, but since it is subconcious I think it would be more appropriate/accurate to say that pride is what drives our motivation rather than being the motive itself that we are fighting forth. Thus Pride isn't what we are fighting for, or worth fighting for, but it is what is pushing us to achieve what we ultimately are fighting for, whether it's a dog, Love, country or ants (yes ants need some lovin' too).

Onhell said:
Who needs religion when we have conor and youtube to answer all our prayers? :p

Heresy! Are you denying the Church of H? Are you stating that it is not needed? This calls for some serious inqisition by our leaders. Be afraid, be very afraid. :wacko:

Back