World Premiere of "Different World" for IMOC members

I enjoyed this new album opener. As others mentioned, it's better than Wildest Dreams but doesn't quite nail it like The Wicker Man. The two songs that have been released on the net off the new album have really shown me that  The Matter of Life and Death has something to offer.

ABandOn said:
To me it doesn't sound as "new" as Benjamin did, although it's a very cool song :D
I'd have to agree. This sounds more like the Maiden we've come to expect. I personally love Benjamin Breeg - I think it's a great song and it may well end up on my top-10 list. The new song is more middle of the road, but Maiden does have a very high "lowest standard" if you know what I mean so I can't say it's bad. Needs a few listenings, though.

I´ve listened to it 5 times in a row now and all I can say is:

Rock´n´roll! This is what Maiden is all about!  -_-
Though, it feels like I´ve heard this before (Wickerman, Rainmaker) etc...

I liked Benjamin too, but I think Different Worlds should have been the first single, since it´s more "direct".

After about the fifth listen I still think it's OK. I am glad that old Benjamin Breeg got an airing before this as I do think that is a song I could get enthused over, but Diferent Worlds? My opinion could change over the course of the next few months.

SinisterMinisterX said:
How does it rate against other openers?
Middle of the pack.
Better than some (e.g. Tailgunner, Wildest Dreams).
Worse than others (e.g. Moonchild, Futureal).
It's more in the neighborhood of Where Eagles Dare. Good, solid, the kind of song I won't mind hearing again and again but still not quite A-list material.
One of those things that I love about Maiden is that for a band that some say have "stagnated" :rolleyes:, they still have a diversity about them that will divide their fans opinions. Aside from Sign of the Cross, from a personal point of view I think Where Eagles Dare is possibly the best opener of any Maiden album.
Was there ever a poll for the best opener? If there isn't, maybe we should have one in around 6 months to allow us time to digest AMOLAD.

The chorus is great, but the intro and verse sound like 'Judgement Day' (is that just me?), so as with my Benjamin Breeg comments there's an element of heard it before. That's not necessarily a bad thing but neither song has grabbed me yet.

It's much better than Benjamin Breeg.
Much better.
I got it in the first listen... the melodies, the solos, the riffs.  It was good.  The bridge (pre/post chorus yoke) is excellent although it sounds like it was lifted directly from "Rainmaker".

Much. much, much better than Benjamin Breeg.
In TROBB, Maiden tried to make the song sound deep and progressive but it was far from prog metal.  The lyrics stank and the song was boring.

With "Different World", we know what we are getting.  The song is a 4-minute rocker... it isn't trying to be anything more.  5 stars!

Bloody hell...I go away for a few days and the entire album starts to get leaked online! :(

On first listen, I have to say I'm very pleased with this opener.  It hits all the right spots in the vein of 'Rainmaker', and say what you like about 'Wildest Dreams', but I loved that song, and I love this one.  It's got the rock attitude the past few album openers have possessed, it gets straight to the point and really works much better than Ben Breeg, in my opinion.  Still, if these are going to be the singles, I hope there's still a couple of 'Paschendales' or 'Face in the Sands' on the album...if the two leaked tracks are as good as it gets, I might be a little dissapointed... :(

Don't worry Silky, there will be better tracks, all the reviews and interviews posted here seem to point in that direction anyway...

Onhell said:
Don't worry Silky, there will be better tracks, all the reviews and interviews posted here seem to point in that direction anyway...

I haven't read any of them.  I hate hype, and I want to approach this album with an open mind...

...and for those of you who are shouting 'hypocrite!', listening to leaked tracks does not constitute clouding my mind! :D

Silky said:
...and for those of you who are shouting 'hypocrite!', listening to leaked tracks does not constitute clouding my mind! :D
That's not hypocritical. At least it's the music your listening to and not someone else's spiel.

Darn, I can't hear it I just get a error message.

'Windows Media Player cannot play the file. If the file is on another computer, vertify that you are connectec to the network. If you typed a path, vertify that it is correct. If the problem persists, the sever might not be available.'

Shaun056 said:
No, I tried Quicktime and Realplayer but neither would play. Any other suggestions?
What version of Media Player are you using (out of curiosity)?

Windows media player 10

It doesnt bother me that much, I mean I can wait until the 28th, and TROBB is out on monday but... it'd be nice to hear it.

Mostly I see this error message is when you have Media Player 6 (or something like that) and no matter how new the latest Media Player you have, if the WMV file (which is what is been streamed) is associated with the old version of Media Player - this error can occur. Common in Win98/WinME OS's.

Still, waiting until the actual release is a good idea.

Back