World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Opening Round 18

Which is the better artist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mckindog

Living for Sanctuary from the law
Staff member
Previous round (Beatles versus Symphony X) remains open for voting here
http://forum.maidenfans.com/threads/the-world-cup-of-maidenfans-2-0-opening-round-17.27839/

As usual, vote for your favourite. The winner advances, the loser goes home.

In the red corner, from Birmingham England, weighing in with 11 solo albums on top of his groundbreaking work as the frontman of Black Sabbath

Ozzy logo 2.jpg

In the blue corner, from Seattle Washington, weighing in with 5 albums of grungy metal that helped redefined the heavy rock scene in the '90s

alice_in_chains.jpg

Not particularly a fan of neither band, Alice in Chains has one song that I really love (Would?), Ozzy has two songs that I really love (Mr. Crowley and Crazy Train). But for Layne Staley's awesome voice, I'll go with Alice in Chains.

Ozzy. Besides the work he did with Sabbath, his work in the 80s was awesome, and he had Zakk Wyldedled before he was lame. You can instantly recognize Ozzy's voice when you hear it.

Also, AIC was part of that insufferable grunge trend, and for some reason have hung around. Well, I guess they dropped the grunge part, but still. There's nothing that makes them stand out to me.

You mean you can't instantly recognise Layne Staley? :huh:

Only because I've heard Man In The Box a billion times on the radio.
Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to differentiate him from any of the other crooning, radio rock vocalists. But to be fair, they did leave a legacy in that regard. They set the standard for grunge/hard rock and post-grunge.
Also, he's.. kinda dead. So I feel like that hurts AIC even more in this poll. As nondescript as his vocals were, he was the defining part of AIC to me.

Bands labeled as grunge are either hard rock or metal... Grunge is a myth, like speed metal, viking metal etc.

Bands labeled as grunge are either hard rock or metal... Grunge is a myth, like speed metal, viking metal etc.

It's a subgenre of alternative rock. There are enough defining characteristics to make a separate genre.

Speed metal is a thing.

Viking metal is.. loosely a thing. Not in the way most people use it (OMG AMON AMARTH), but it's a mix of folk metal and black metal, with, obviously, Viking and Pagan lyrical themes.

I have to agree with Luke here. All those genres listed in the previous posts aren't massive in size, but they are still sub genres of rock and metal.

Back