World Cup of Maidenfans 2.0: Group B Qualifier

Vote for your least favourite bands

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
But if I have to add something to them, then surely that argument can be applied to every band? ;) I mean.. even an autotuned cat probably sounds good, and that's essentially what "honey" is, right? :p

Honey is natural sweetener, like Russell Allen's voice, Michael Romeo's fluid guitar-playing and compositional skills, Mike LePond's aggressively accurate bass playing, Jason Rullo's precise and powerful drumming, or Michael Pinnella's incredible piano textures.

Autotune is like NutraSweet or Equal. It's used extensively by Halestorm, A7X, and modern Aerosmith.

As an avid Dream Theater fan, I don't care for them. The style might be similar, but SX just sound plastic to me.

Plastic?!

:bigsurprise:
:down:
:mad:
:fencing:

I'm just gonna stop replying to this thread, before I get emotional and challenge people to duels.

SX doesn't really sound anything like Dream Theater to me. They have a greater power metal and neoclassical influence and also tend to be more aggressive (especially in recent years).
Even the individual members have a ton of differences. Michael Romeo is very different from Petrucci, Russell is very different from JLB, etc etc.

So I guess I can understand why plenty of DT fans don't like them.
Calling them plastic however, I don't understand.

Everyone except Opeth and Symphony X.

SX doesn't really sound anything like Dream Theater to me.

I completely agree, yet people always try to compare them. Aside from the fact that they both play progressive metal, they couldn't sound any different if they tried.

Pretty much. There have been some moments where I'm reminded of DT, but they're very few. I can't even think of any off the top of my head.

There have been some moments where I'm reminded of DT, but they're very few. I can't even think of any off the top of my head.

The beginning of Through the Looking Glass sounds a bit like Surrounded. There's a few sections on Iconoclast that sound DT-ish, like the solo section of Reign in Madness (kinda reminds me of The Glass Prison), and I seem to recall something in Whispers sounding like John Petrucci, but that's about it. DT definitely has a more diverse sound by far, although they rarely stray into the neoclassical territory that Symphony X does. As a whole, I think Symphony X writes far better songs than DT.

Wow. Looking like Aerosmith could go through.
Guess that means the heights of their early career outweigh the schlock of their later career?
I mean I don't mind a lot of the stuff they did while on drugs.

I like up to Nine Lives (1997), after that I haven't really listened to it enough to remember how I felt. That's a majority in terms of years and albums, plus I saw them a few years ago and I really did think it was a fantastic gig, so I'm certainly supporting them, especially against everyone else up there except for UFO (Who I saw last year, but sadly in a much shorter set).

The beginning of Through the Looking Glass sounds a bit like Surrounded. There's a few sections on Iconoclast that sound DT-ish, like the solo section of Reign in Madness (kinda reminds me of The Glass Prison), and I seem to recall something in Whispers sounding like John Petrucci, but that's about it. DT definitely has a more diverse sound by far, although they rarely stray into the neoclassical territory that Symphony X does. As a whole, I think Symphony X writes far better songs than DT.
Oh right, Through the Looking Glass is what I was forgetting, that does sound like Surrounded.

As for DT vs Symphony X, I prefer DT easily. The only two albums I'd rank with DT's best work are The Odyssey and Paradise Lost. Both are amazing albums. After that, their work tends to get a little uneven for me. Twilight in Olympus is really close though. Most DT albums I can enjoy in full, with Symphony X I tend to go for individual songs. That's definitely a big deal for me, because I'm an albums guy.

Regarding Aerosmith. I'm not a huge fan, but Permanent Vacation is one of my all time favorite albums. It has no bad songs. That's enough for me to let them slide for now.

Pretty much. There have been some moments where I'm reminded of DT, but they're very few. I can't even think of any off the top of my head.
Since Dream Theater are the leading band in Progressive music at the moment all Progressive bands will inevitably be compared to them in some way or another. I suppose that to the casual listener they would sound similar but I don't think there's a huge connection that could be drawn between each band's sound (we're not talking about You Me At Six and All Time Low here :p ). Bands in similar genres will always be compared to each other. For example every Thrash band is compared to Metallica (see Youtube comments).

Back