Woman loses assisted suicide case

Plesiosaur said:
Yeah.......sad. Did you enjoy your Presidential visit yesterday LC?

Of course I did.  I watched the news conference too.  Obama's awesome, and I'm glad he came.  He has an 81% approval rating up here.

I sort of think that the laws on assisted suicide should be reviewed whereby they should be dealt with on a case to case basis. The laws are there to protect people who, when they find themselves in a vulnerable state, feel that they have become a burden on their loved ones and get to the stage where they believe it is their duty rather than their right to die. This is obviously not the case in the woman of which this thread is about - she strikes me as a strong willed woman and has made her choice - but there will undoubtedly be cases where a more weak willed person could have it put on them.

The only thing we can be when faced by this (being the potential assister) is not to be selfish about it - either way.

Actually, I've never heard the word "euthanasia" used in casual conversation. When someone is going through that, they go from the hospital to a hospice - and when you talk about the person, you just say something like "he's in a hospice" and everyone knows what that means. So all this talk about the terminology seems a bit odd and technical - and interesting, perhaps because those terms don't get used often in real life.

I don't know which is harder for the family ... the idea of removing life support, like a feeding tube ... or hospice. With the first, death comes much quicker - but the family had to make the decision. And that's got to create some guilt to live with. With a hospice, the family's life goes into limbo, waiting for the loved one to die. (I know this - I've been through it.) And every day the loved one doesn't die is another day of mounting stress, which quickly reaches epic proportions. Even though the average hospice stay is "only" around 2 weeks, it seems like an eternity.

But the idea of the hospice is a natural death, controlled to be as comfortable as possible. It's the opposite of guilt. Given the inevitable, you come out thinking "at least we made the end as good as we could."

Meh. Let's just solve all the problems by building some of those suicide booths from Futurama.

SinisterMinisterX said:
But the idea of the hospice is a natural death, controlled to be as comfortable as possible. It's the opposite of guilt. Given the inevitable, you come out thinking "at least we made the end as good as we could."

Soylent Green is made of people!!!!

Back