Why old things are so damn good?

Metal_made

Trooper
I don't know if you have noticed, or if you think the way I think, but the old stuff (well not all the old stuff) it's much better than the new stuff. Let me explain myself. Let's start on what this forum's all about, Music: Can you compare King Crimson with Dream Theater? They are both progressive and Dream Theater's musicians are far more skilled than those in King Crimson (I mean, for me it's more difficult to play Dream Theater songs than songs of King Crimson), but King Crimson has an I-don't-know-what that just sounds better!!!, or what about movies?, for example let's bring up Star Wars the old trilogy and the new trilogy: The new one has far, FAR, better special effects than the old one but I just happen to love the old one. Can you tell me if I'm nuts, or someone else thinks the way I think? [!--emo&:blink:--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/blink.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'blink.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

About the star wars thing you are absolutley right but star wars 3 is quite epic and becouse of all those epic moments it becomes immediate the tied 1st place film.

What it all boils down to, is your taste. I personally, like Dream Theater better, because they have that "I-don't-know-what that just sounds better" you so speak of.

I think the reason "old" stuff seems to be better is that by now we are only getting the most talented and successful bands of the past while the crappy ones have been erased by time. Today we are exposed to everything the crappy and the talented (movies, music, writers) and only in 40 years or more will the crappy be separated completely from the talented. For example in... 1997 I think it was The New Radicals came out with a song.... they have since been forgotton.....

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Dec 16 2005, 12:32 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Dec 16 2005, 12:32 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]the crappy ones have been erased by time.
[snapback]125218[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Some stuff gets remembered because it was so bad it was funny. There's the odd show of "The 50 worst pop songs ever" and that similar style.

[!--QuoteBegin-Onhell+Dec 15 2005, 08:32 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Onhell @ Dec 15 2005, 08:32 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]they have since been forgotton.....
[snapback]125218[/snapback]​
[/quote]

They Might Be Giants? Dixie Midnight Riders? Who? [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Nov 22 2005, 02:48 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Nov 22 2005, 02:48 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I don't know if you have noticed, or if you think the way I think, but the old stuff (well not all the old stuff) it's much better than the new stuff.
[snapback]123721[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I'm 'old' stuff, and I was told I was good. Go wonder! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Dec 16 2005, 05:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Dec 16 2005, 05:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm 'old' stuff, and I was told I was good. Go wonder!  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]125269[/snapback]​
[/quote]

"Old stuff"? You mean bands like Iron Maiden? Those guys are old and so is their music (go figure). Ewww. I'm all about the new Debbie Gibson (wait. that's old), Clay Aikens CD! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maverick+Dec 16 2005, 04:14 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maverick @ Dec 16 2005, 04:14 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I'm 'old' stuff, and I was told I was good. Go wonder!  [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]125269[/snapback]​
[/quote]

You see?, this might be a law, hahahahaha [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Metal_made+Dec 17 2005, 02:25 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Metal_made @ Dec 17 2005, 02:25 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]...this might be a law...
[snapback]125290[/snapback]​
[/quote]Yeah, it's one of the 'Mav rules' - a system of postulates that apply in a whole range of fields, from nuclear physics to brushing teeth [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-charlotte+Dec 17 2005, 03:39 AM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(charlotte @ Dec 17 2005, 03:39 AM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]Yeah, it's one of the 'Mav rules' - a system of postulates that apply in a whole range of fields, from nuclear physics to brushing teeth [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]125308[/snapback]​
[/quote]

He should start writing a book with all of the Mav Rules [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--] It would become a best seller! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maiden Madness+Dec 15 2005, 05:29 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maiden Madness @ Dec 15 2005, 05:29 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]What it all boils down to, is your taste.  I personally, like Dream Theater better, because they have that "I-don't-know-what that just sounds better" you so speak of.
[snapback]125193[/snapback]​
[/quote]

This thread wasn't just about DT you know?, about King Crimson and Dream well, it was just the first thing that came to my mind, and I didn't mean to say Dream Theater was a bad group or something, actually I like them a lot, but, I do prefer King Crimson, because for me they have a better "I-don't-know what", and that's what this forum is all about, giving your opinion about something.

I didn't mean to offend you, Metal_made. What I meant, is that it doesn't matter to me how old it is or what kind of music it is for me. If I like it, I like it (how silly)! I agree with you, though. Old music does have that something to it. But it just doesn't tickle me silly as it might other people. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

genneraly, in nineties, speaking of rock music, we didn't find a lot of things that are as good as highlights from previous times....I would say it is only 3 or 4 albums of death and control denied project, other autohors pretty much insures us that progress has stopped....

can you find a bend in nineties that is as good as iron maiden? no....

[!--QuoteBegin-Stefan Verbal Delikvent+Dec 21 2005, 08:21 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Stefan Verbal Delikvent @ Dec 21 2005, 08:21 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]can you find a bend in nineties that is as good as iron maiden? no....
[snapback]125632[/snapback]​
[/quote]
I think Pearl Jam is every bit as good as Maiden, and Soundgarden wasn't far behind.

Of course, the ability to find other good bands depends on being open to styles of music besides metal. If the only good albums from an entire fucking decade that you can find are death metal, I suspect you're too closed-minded. Dangerously closed-minded, even. Please don't breed; we don't need closed-minded persons like you raising children.

He was talking about bends, SMX. Not bands! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

[!--QuoteBegin-Maiden Madness+Dec 20 2005, 05:04 PM--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE(Maiden Madness @ Dec 20 2005, 05:04 PM)[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]I didn't mean to offend you, Metal_made. What I meant, is that it doesn't matter to me how old it is or what kind of music it is for me.  If I like it, I like it (how silly)!  I agree with you, though.  Old music does have that something to it.  But it just doesn't tickle me silly as it might other people. [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--]
[snapback]125560[/snapback]​
[/quote]

No prob, actually it's me who must apologize, I was a little bit rough with ya'...sorry. [!--emo&:)--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/smile.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'smile.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

The nineties was the best decade for metal IMO.

Bands like Bruce Dickinson, Dark Tranquillty, Iron Maiden, Death and Blind Guardian all released their best album(s) in the nineties. The metal scene got much more variety and entirely new sub-genres emerged. Saying there was no progress in metal that decade is simply wrong.

Having said that, I don't think the metal scene has ever been good. Throughout history there's been some excellent bands keeping it worthwhile, but on the whole it's been quite tedious.

When people say that the 90s was a terrible time for metal, I feel the need to ask them what the hell they're smoking. It was a decade for extreme metal. The kind of music that wouldn't have reached the charts regardless of whether metal was in or not.

Okay, sure Maiden, Priest and the likes dropped in popularity but they still wrote great material. I actually like the fact the Grunge eliminated Metal from the mainstream. There were too many posers and poser bands at the time. Let's face it, the glam metal trend was milking metal music for all that it was worth and giving it a bad reputation. Most people who say that metal was at its peak in the 80s are just nostalgic elitists who claim that (insert popular thrash metal band name here) reached the peak of musical prowess. The Florida death metal scene gave birth to Obituary, Deicide, Morbid Angel and Death who all made ground-breaking albums. The infamous Norwegian black metal scene produced fantastic albums such as Empeor's In The Nightside Eclipse, Immortal's Pure Holocaust and of course, Transilvanian Hunger, Darkthrone's minimalistic masterpiece of raw black metal (which also spawned numerous clone bands, but that's another story). Athiest, Cynic and Pestilence combined jazz fusion with death metal making for some very interesting twists to the genre (although many death metal fans didn't react too well to these works).

Yes, there's lots more where that came from but it's great when a genre is rendered unfashionable because it weeds out the bandwagon hoppers from the serious artists. So, yes Shadow, I agree that the 90s were great for metal! [!--emo&:D--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/biggrin.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'biggrin.gif\' /][!--endemo--] Even amongst Maiden fans, I think Bruce's solo works are fairly underrated. When everybody was screaming "Bring Bruce back", hardly anyone bought The Chemical Wedding. [!--emo&<_<--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/dry.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'dry.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

Back