Why I hate people

IronDuke

Ancient Mariner
I hate people because they have no respect.
Some background information is important here: I'm in graduate school, far from my home and (importantly here) my fiance.

My department hosted a "mixer" in which people get together, have a drink, socialize, and get to know each other outside of an academic setting.

At the one toninght, I had had a few beers (4 pints, to be honest), so I'm not exactly at my peak judgement.

This girl who knows I'm in a happy relationship decided to try to flirt mercilessly with me. She all but threw herself at me, and I'm ashamed to say that I was tempted. My good sense got the bette rof me before anything drastic happened, though.

So here's my question - why would she do such a thing, knowing I'm in a happy relationship and already a bit imparied in my judgement? Was she deliberately trying to wreck things?

(As I type this, I've jsut arrived back at my apartment. I had to leave early I was so pissed off. My roommates are gone, so I can't vent at them.)

Congrats on having a good, happy relationship, but that is why long-distance relationships suck and most of the time don't work. Was she under the influence as well? Not that it fully excuses her behavior, but it does enable people to do things they wouldn't otherwise, she probably likes you, she was feeling good and flirted a little too much. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

IronDuke said:
This girl who knows I'm in a happy relationship decided to try to flirt mercilessly with me. She all but threw herself at me, and I'm ashamed to say that I was tempted. My good sense got the bette rof me before anything drastic happened, though.

So here's my question - why would she do such a thing, knowing I'm in a happy relationship and already a bit imparied in my judgement? Was she deliberately trying to wreck things?

girls they are jealous Duke you should have known that....they think "what is his secret to keep a girl like this" and things like that... so they want to discover this secret !!
anyway, I am not the most appropriate person to answer to this question...  :innocent:

...I think that girl was just jealous, and I want to believe that she is not very beautiful  ;)

Not sure this totally explains your situation, but I was reminded of it when I read your post:  I had a roommate in college who had the philosophy that the only women worth dating were the ones who already had boyfriends.  His theory was, if they are cute but not in a relationship, there must be something wrong with them.  So, he only hit on women who had boyfriends.  He was serious, not simply putting us on.  And, he had a remarkable success rate.  When confronted with the potential paradox that, if he only dated women who already cheated on and then broke up with their previous boyfriends, they must not be very good girlfriends, he responded: "no, they just must not have had boyfriends as good as me."  Interesting world view, and while I never really bought it, it was difficult to rebut.  Maybe the girl at your mixer had a similar world view. 

cornfedhick said:
Not sure this totally explains your situation, but I was reminded of it when I read your post:  I had a roommate in college who had the philosophy that the only women worth dating were the ones who already had boyfriends.  His theory was, if they are cute but not in a relationship, there must be something wrong with them.  So, he only hit on women who had boyfriends.  He was serious, not simply putting us on.  And, he had a remarkable success rate.  When confronted with the potential paradox that, if he only dated women who already cheated on and then broke up with their previous boyfriends, they must not be very good girlfriends, he responded: "no, they just must not have had boyfriends as good as me."  Interesting world view, and while I never really bought it, it was difficult to rebut.  Maybe the girl at your mixer had a similar world view. 

You must have had a very big living area if you, your friend, and his ego could all fit in there at once. :innocent:

cornfedhick said:

I guess the fact that even though he had a high success rate (which is debatable to begin with) goes to show that they were not worth dating as you make it seem he went throught them like tissue paper.

Onhell said:
I guess the fact that even though he had a high success rate (which is debatable to begin with) goes to show that they were not worth dating as you make it seem he went throught them like tissue paper.

But, presumably, he wasn't looking for a long-lasting relationship; he just wanted short term fun and the 'thrill' of stealing someone else's bird.  If he tried to do it with me (although I don't have a girlfriend), I'd give a long-term broken nose.  And a kick in the 'nads.

*Rereads description of guy*

Make that several...arrogant bastard.

... or the guy has trouble getting a date, so he needs to hit on girls w/ b/f so the upcoming rejection can be easily rationalized.  :p

Back