Why did Steve Harris fire Clive Burr ?

So why the falling out with the press around the TXF era?

It might have had something to do with the (lack of) quality of the material. :D

Joking aside, there was a new wave of journalists who did not enjoy the perks from Maiden’s heyday and probably had different tastes to the old guard. That being said, the latter were not impressed either:

Mick Wall once said that Maiden were a band who had released many albums that were not that great but had not got enough bad reviews…

Last edited:
there was a new wave of journalists who did not enjoy the perks from Maiden’s heyday and probably had different tastes to the old guard.
Absolutely True.
Even in 1993 Kerrang Mag didn't bet for them and Heavy Metal bands. I remember buying those imported magazines from Uk and the classic heavy metal or trash metal bands weren't there. They were like they belonged to other planet or something like that. All that the magazine showed were weird little bands imitating the attitude of grunge or the brit-pop rock music. Hard Rock and Metal was not there.

It's true the X factor didn't reach the level all people were expecting.

I think it also probably reflects on their waning importance in the rock scene. Maiden just weren't interesting anymore in the eyes of the press. That plus the rise of increasingly sensational "journalism" practices and the general change in attitude in the 90s. Being friends with who you're supposed to be reporting on kind of seemed to diminish over time, probably in part due to sensationalism becoming the norm.

Mick Wall once said that Maiden were a band who had released many albums that were not that great but had not got enough bad reviews…
Maybe it was his own fault . Mick Wall was there with the band laughing their jokes every time. even in the most ridiculous interviews in his tv program. I remember one with Bruce…really pathetic. He looked like one of their crew staff.

I think it also probably reflects on their waning importance in the rock scene. Maiden just weren't interesting anymore in the eyes of the press.

Two reasons why I believe classic heavy metal looked old in 90s and got discarded:

1. Non relevant lyrics. History, books and dungeons & dragons started to look ridiculous in comparison with what Metallica, Megadeth & Pantera were writing. Still are if you ask me. Iron Maiden Commentary did a good job restoring Maiden’s status lyrics -wise.

2. Lack of heavy riffs. Once you hear what Pantera was playing or the immense job Bob Rock did on Black Album you cannot unhear it. Once again guitar harmonies looked last century.

Steve was quick to see both coming and tried to adopt, first with No Prayer, second with The X Factor (i.e., Fortunes of War) but songs were weak and uninspired. Players couldn’t adopt their playing, Nicko took another 13 years to play double bass, Dave & Janick didn’t change their playing much.

The thing with Maiden too is that even when they get heavy, riffy or fast (The Reincarnation of Benjamin Breeg, Montségur, Be Quick or Be Dead, etc.), their own production betrays them and these immensely heavy riffs that would blow your nutsack off with good production end up sounding kinda limp.

This is something Steve simply doesn't understand, he just sees everything as an Iron Maiden tune that requires a nebulous Iron Maiden sound (which basically is whatever his preferences are at the time of recording + hearing loss from not using hearing protection on stage) which most often than not robs even genuinely massive riffs of their impact by making them sound far weaker in comparison to much less well-crafted riffs produced by competing bands with great production and especially powerful-sounding guitars.

Yes, Rod had a reputation of treating the press so well that they would not dare print anything negative so they would not lose all the perks that came with being part of Maiden’s inner circle.
Exactly. Something that "in the end" I think kind of hurted Maiden (because they couldn't really know that the press thought about their music) and some of the press (because they were percevied as brown nosers).

Sure, magazines such as Kerrang and Sounds still printed negative letters sent to them and they did (especially Sounds) criticise and negativately reviewed some singles and songs but all in all, they would always say nice things about the band.

Now, different to what most people think, it wasn't in 95 when the press started saying nasty things about Maiden, it was in 1990, got a bit uglier by 92-93 and it got really nasty in 95. Why? People ask, well, because different people, with different opinions come in to write to certain magazine/press and as they don't have a history with the band they write what they really think about them. There's also a matter of musical taste, and the trends of time

I think with Somewhere in Time cracks started to show, some bad irrelevant lyrics, such as Long Distance Runner & Alexander, softer orchestrations, synths.
Seventh Son seems huge in retrospect yet back in the day it wasn’t perceived as Masterpiece. Especially when people had Operation Mindcrime to compare, where the storyline was crystal clear.

Also the shift from UK to US started to happen. By 1990, Maiden looked like 80 years old.
Guns N’Roses lasted a little longer but eventually everything classic metal, glam, anything reminding the 80s got buried.

At the time I thought it was normal but it wasn’t. The world was changing: Berlin’s wall was teared down, Soviet world collapsed and people turned their back to 80s overnight. And it never happened a shift in taste /trend as abruptly as this ever since.

It might have had something to do with the (lack of) quality of the material. :D

Joking aside, there was a new wave of journalists who did not enjoy the perks from Maiden’s heyday and probably had different tastes to the old guard. That being said, the latter were not impressed either:

That's kind of me when I first listened to X Factor, "stunned silence"

I've since learned to like a fair bit of it but I only listen to 2 songs off VXI

While I love all the reunion albums the production is lacking, with the exception of BNW (where it seems Shirley had more influence then.) But it is what it is as Steve is too set in his ways. Hopefully there will be at at least one more album. Wish Steve would take a back seat and just concentrate on songwriting.

Yeah I remember when I listened the single Man on the Edge on the radio (metal channel), I didn't like it, not just for Blaze. In fact I still hate the intro of that song.

Back