Who's next?

Invader

Ancient Mariner
The second half of the XXth Century saw therefore, after the first US atomic test in 1945 and that of the USSR in 1949, the entry of various other countries into this insane nuclear race: the UK in 1952, France in 1960, China in 1964, and India in 1974 – incidentally with a bomb code-named "smiling buddha", a desecration of the name of Buddha who is normally the most peaceful deity you can find in human religions and who would find there certainly nothing to smile about! Even almost a decade after the official end of the Cold War, a country like Pakistan did its first nuclear test in 1998. Who's next, one may wonder...

From the IMC: Brighter Than a Thousand Suns.  I just noticed this today, and that made me feel sort of weird.  Only about two weeks after this commentary article was added, North Korea carried out a nuclear test.  Scary... 

It reminded me of a similar incident in my own life.  We (I and some classmates) were discussing the prospect of North Korea getting nuclear weapons; or more like arguing, because one of my classmates is chinese, and he supported the idea.  Why the hell he did, I don't know...  But anyway, the very next day I read from the newspaper about North Korea actually having nuclear weapons. 

The point of this post?  Nothing really, just wanted to point that out.

What is so scary about it? Sure these countries are testing bombs, but that is merely to show off might. Nuclear energy has beneficial consequences as well, just ask Japan, most of it's energy is nuclear.

I didn't say nuclear energy was scary, I meant that the coincidence was scary, or weird.  I'm not against nuclear power, I see it as a viable alternative in many countries where there isn't enough wind power, solar power, etc.  However, there are people that will debate that and that kind of discussion belongs in another thread.
But using nuclear power as a means to defend nuclear weapons is not really smart, in my opinion.  You don't need nuclear weapons to use nuclear power.

Back