Who did the voice over at the start of Alexander?

I always wondered about that.

I had found a picture from a facebook fan page, in which it says that the spoken prologue intro on ATG was done by the late Graham Chapman (it's on the ATG thread: click here)

I always wondered about that.

I had found a picture from a facebook fan page, in which it says that the spoken prologue intro on ATG was done by the late Graham Chapman (it's on the ATG thread: click here)
Yup, that's the info from the Metal Archives (Somewhere In Time entry, Additional notes). But I have no idea what it's based on.

I think it's Q.E.D. that it's not Chapman simply by the fact that it doesn't sound like him but there's two circumstantial bits of evidence that I think point to it not being him, whoever did the voiceover there's only two possibilities, either the quote is taken from some pre-existing material or they came in and recorded it especially for Maiden.

If it's the first option, is there any evidence of Chapman being in any production that might have had such a quote? Realistically he'd have to have been playing Philip of Macedon to have read those lines. If it's the second option, you'ld think Maiden would have made a song and dance about getting Graham Chapman to do a voiceover when they were promoting the album, and you'ld imagine some evidence of this would remain.

I think it's Q.E.D. that it's not Chapman simply by the fact that it doesn't sound like him
Perhaps he was good at impressions?
you'ld think Maiden would have made a song and dance about getting Graham Chapman to do a voiceover when they were promoting the album, and you'ld imagine some evidence of this would remain
I agree. I'm sure someone in the band would have mentioned this by now, or at least Rod would have.

I wish someone had submitted this question to Bruce on the neverending book tour rather than the same banal questions he probably got each night.

You might also think Nicko would have mentioned it in Listen with Nicko! IX.

But if somebody were finally able to provide a picture of this credit from the album liner notes, it might end up being a different story.

I wish someone had submitted this question to Bruce on the neverending book tour rather than the same banal questions he probably got each night.

I was going to, but I got the wrong bus to the venue and was late getting there, and by the time I arrived the show had already started.

Back