Which song was written first... for all of the 16 albums

They are allowed to leave the studio while they record a album. It's not like Rod locks the door for six weeks and doesn't let them out.

Of course, but it seems more like a pre-production pursuit.

They are allowed to leave the studio while they record a album. It's not like Rod locks the door for six weeks and doesn't let them out.
I think you're being naive as regards Rod's methods: each musician gets fed when, and only when, they have finished recording their parts... which explains the recent standards of Dave Murray's output...as well as his girth.

H said he researched the topic in the library, so unless he left the studio to go to the library then I'd say he had worked on it before the studio.

He definitely had, as Bruce mentioned that when he went to Adrian's house to work on some songs for the album Adrian had lots of books lying around for the song he had been working on (i.e. Paschendale).

I think Purgatory from Killers was written before Maiden's first album.

It was based on a song called Floating from before the first album, but it's probably a lot different from waht floating was. Magnus posted a clip of "Endless Pit" recently, which was the original version of Innocent Exile, and it's very different.

I think Purgatory from Killers was written before Maiden's first album.

Purgatory (then ''Floating'') was written around 1975/1976. Innocent Exile was also written around that time, but Steve has said that this is one of the earliest songs that he has written - even before Maiden.

It was based on a song called Floating from before the first album, but it's probably a lot different from waht floating was. Magnus posted a clip of "Endless Pit" recently, which was the original version of Innocent Exile, and it's very different.
Just to be sure to avoid any confusion, it's a 2019 version of "Endless Pit", not the original one.

Just to be sure to avoid any confusion, it's a 2019 version of "Endless Pit", not the original one.

How does it compare to the original do you know, in terms of tempo and arrrangement, i.e. is this new version similar to what was played back in the day

How does it compare to the original do you know, in terms of tempo and arrrangement, i.e. is this new version similar to what was played back in the day
I've never heard the original so I don't know really, but judging from the exchange between Luisma and Dave Smith below the Youtube video, it should be close.

For TXF perhaps Man on The Edge? You had that riff on the White Spirit demo.

For VXI I would guess Como Estais Amigos. Didnt Blaze say he penned the lyrics while in South America 1996?

For TXF perhaps Man on The Edge? You had that riff on the White Spirit demo.

I don't think so. It's the same as to say that 2MTM was written first for Powerslave since the riff is done on White Spirit album (in 1980) - check the song Midnight Chaser./ The first song written for Powerslave was the title track, because Bruce already had the demo of it in 1983.
For VXI I would guess Como Estais Amigos. Didnt Blaze say he penned the lyrics while in South America 1996?

Do you have a source?

We have diverted from the original reason of this post so I want to bring it back to its original purpose.

As I still keep working and researching for my book I just wanted to share a thing or two about my discoveries on the earliest/first songs written for an album.

Iron Maiden - The 2 oldest songs are Iron Maiden (75) & Transylvania (75). Note: Early version of Transylvania still with some lyrics.

Killers - Wrathchild (74) & Innocent Exile (Endless Pit) (74).

The Number Of The Beast - 22 Acacia Avenue (Evil Ways version) (74) & Invaders (Early 81).

Note: From here on, things are a bit more complicated as most songs were completed by the band.

Piece Of Mind - Flight Of Icarus (83) & Revelations (83) Note: The hymn at the beginning was written in 1906

Powerslave - Powerslave (83) & 2 Minutes To Midnight (84)

Somewhere In Time - Wasted Years (86) & Heaven Can Wait (86)

No Prayer For The Dying - Bring Your Daughter... To The Slaughter (89) & 'Run Silent, Run Deep (86) Note: If we consider full songs it will be a tie between Run Silent, Run Deep, Holy Smoke & Tailgunner

Fear Of The Dark - From Here To Eternity (92) & Judas Be My Guide (92)

The X Factor - Lord Of The Flies (94) & The Aftermath (Late 93 - Early 94)

Brave New World - Blood Brothers (98) & Dream Of Mirrors (98)

I have to go thru all the interviews I have for the next albums and I would be incredibly grateful if someone can find that WWWB quote by Steve

More info like this in my exclusive book "Detailed Discography Of The Beast" - Just subscribe here https://www.subscribepage.com/luisma666 and watch a preview here

Last edited:
Back