Which song was written first... for all of the 16 albums

Also, I only just noticed when ripping my own seven inch, that after the end of I've got the Fire if you leave it playing, someone, it sounds like a fan, comes on shouting "ooh Iron Maiden ooh!":lol: You can hear it at 9.32 on the first video I've linked in this post https://forum.maidenfans.com/thread...st-for-all-of-the-16-albums.71395/post-842061

Yep, that's another reason why I put this in the up coming single book, this version can only found on the original UK Sanctuary 7"

Is a fan that says: Yeahhhh, Iron Maiden, wuhooooooo

Last edited:
I also remember reading somewhere that Isle Of Avalon was the first song written for TFF album./ <-^I have to research again to find where I've read that.

I found where I've heard about that. In the video below, Dave says that Isle Of Avalon was the first song that they worked on (around 3:24 minutes).

Last edited:
Considering all of the reunion era albums have had leftovers from previous album sessions, I don't think we can conclusively say anything for the ones that haven't been directly confirmed by the band. For BNW we do know what the leftovers were but for the rest it's a mystery. AMOLAD definitely, absolutely has leftover material from DoD since Adrian actually mentioned it in an interview. Whether those were complete songs is another question.

Had Paschendale been placed on AMOLAD, it'd be my number 3 album.... it's number 5 because it's not...

For BNW we do know what the leftovers were but for the rest it's a mystery. AMOLAD definitely, absolutely has leftover material from DoD since Adrian actually mentioned it in an interview. Whether those were complete songs is another question.

any source for this?

For the BNW part or the AMOLAD part? In all of my research I have not find anyone saying that AMOLAD had leftover material from DOD
Recommend you dig through the Maidenfans news archives, cos that's where I found it. I don't have it on hand but you have my guarantee I did indeed read an interview with Adrian mentioning it, alongside another obscure interview where Nicko explains he and Steve had a row over him not wanting to use a double pedal on Lord of Light which I'm frankly still confused about.

Recommend you dig through the Maidenfans news archives, cos that's where I found it. I don't have it on hand but you have my guarantee I did indeed read an interview with Adrian mentioning it, alongside another obscure interview where Nicko explains he and Steve had a row over him not wanting to use a double pedal on Lord of Light which I'm frankly still confused about.

Hmmm let's see. There's seems to be a mistake in quotings here. Adrian supossedly did say that there were 4 leftover songs from VXI in BNW. I say supposedly because no one has ever been able to produce the original interview where he supposedly said that. Years ago I even traced the paper/magazine that supposedly did the interview and never received any answer.

On the other hand, I do have interviews of Steve & Blaze (separately) talking about how Blood Brothers was "demoed/written" during VXI sessions, an interview with Adrian where he says that The Mercenary was written during the sessions of VXI, an interview of Blaze talking how he worked closely to Steve for Dream Of Mirrors, and I know that supposedly Adrian said in an interview that The Nomad was also a leftover from VXI, but have never been able to actually see this interview, just people quoting an "interview"

And the only "argument" I know of about Nicko and a double pedal comes from Adrian and Nicko while trying to record Face In The Sand, not Lord Of Light so I still think someone is mixing the facts and interviews

And the only "argument" I know of about Nicko and a double pedal comes from Adrian and Nicko while trying to record Face In The Sand, not Lord Of Light so I still think someone is mixing the facts and interviews

There's a bit in your book (I think that's where I saw it) where Steve wanted Nicko to use a double pedal in a section of Brighter than A Thousand Suns. I don't think the section was mentioned but I assume it was the e=mc2 section.

Hmmm let's see. There's seems to be a mistake in quotings here. Adrian supossedly did say that there were 4 leftover songs from VXI in BNW. I say supposedly because no one has ever been able to produce the original interview where he supposedly said that. Years ago I even traced the paper/magazine that supposedly did the interview and never received any answer.

On the other hand, I do have interviews of Steve & Blaze (separately) talking about how Blood Brothers was "demoed/written" during VXI sessions, an interview with Adrian where he says that The Mercenary was written during the sessions of VXI, an interview of Blaze talking how he worked closely to Steve for Dream Of Mirrors, and I know that supposedly Adrian said in an interview that The Nomad was also a leftover from VXI, but have never been able to actually see this interview, just people quoting an "interview"

Here's Nicko explaining the argument over using a double pedal. I think the original scans still exist somewhere (I remember seeing them) but since I don't know French they were of no use to me anyway. I doubt the forums poster straight up lied about it, though. Maybe a mistranslation at best.

Here's the article that references the Adrian interview re: VXI leftovers. No link to the original interview, but it's quoted pretty extensively.

I'm too lazy to keep digging for the post-DoD Adrian interview where he said something about having a couple of songs or riffs written for DoD that they decided to hold back for the next one. I believe he specifically said they were heavier in style too, or something very similar. I wanna say the interview's been discussed on this forum before too.

There's a bit in your book (I think that's where I saw it) where Steve wanted Nicko to use a double pedal in a section of Brighter than A Thousand Suns. I don't think the section was mentioned but I assume it was the e=mc2 section.

Well he wasn't exactly an argument, here's the quote from my book:

"There is one section on 'Brighter Than A Thousand Suns' where Steve wanted this double-bass drum part and he had written this part on a drum machine and he's got it in this CD and he goes 'Ere Nick, can you play that?' and I went 'Fk no! I can't and I won't!' So I came up with something I could do, similar, but without this bass-drum part." (Nicko McBrain for Peter Sundnes of NRK – 2006)

Here's Nicko explaining the argument over using a double pedal. I think the original scans still exist somewhere (I remember seeing them) but since I don't know French they were of no use to me anyway. I doubt the forums poster straight up lied about it, though. Maybe a mistranslation at best.

I definitely think that the person who wrote that mixed the songs, 'cause as seen above (the quote of my book) the only song that did have a sort of double pedal part in it was Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.

Here's the article that references the Adrian interview re: VXI leftovers. No link to the original interview, but it's quoted pretty extensively.

That's the supposed interview that has been quoted ad infinitum and it is in fact the one I was referring before. I did write to the editor of the magazine with no answer and not one Turkish fan I have contacted, had been able to even find the magazine so I still doubt it exists. However, as seen in my book, there are different people who have given answers about the leftover songs

I'm too lazy to keep digging for the post-DoD Adrian interview where he said something about having a couple of songs or riffs written for DoD that they decided to hold back for the next one. I believe he specifically said they were heavier in style too, or something very similar. I wanna say the interview's been discussed on this forum before too.

To bad, it would be awesome to find that interview, 'cause it is the first time I have heard anything like what you're commenting

I definitely think that the person who wrote that mixed the songs, 'cause as seen above (the quote of my book) the only song that did have a sort of double pedal part in it was Brighter Than A Thousand Suns.
I rather think it was probably Nicko who mixed up the songs. It wouldn't be the first time, and I think there could've been a similar drum parts argument with Lord of Light, if we consider how Nicko doesn't play the usual gallop on the bass drum in that song. I think he and Steve might've had a disagreement over the bass drum part in that song and Nicko mixed that up with the BTATS middle section thing in the French interview.

Funny thing though, the double bass drum thing makes a whole lot more sense for BTATS. I wish I could peer into a universe where Nicko just went "alright, well give me a couple of days and I'll learn the part with a double pedal" because that section feels kind of limp drums wise to me. It really does sound like it was meant to have a more intense, burst-like bass drum part originally.

As with 2 minutes to midnight ;)

I would argue that The Mercenary is much closer to that White Spirit demo than anything off 2 Minutes to Midnight to Midnight Chaser. The latter two feature riffs that have been used extensively (were Riot the first to use it?).

I would argue that The Mercenary is much closer to that White Spirit demo than anything off 2 Minutes to Midnight to Midnight Chaser. The latter two feature riffs that have been used extensively (were Riot the first to use it?).

If I'm not mistaken, the first song where this riff appears is White Spirit's Midnight Chaser (1980). The Riot's song is on their album from 1981.

If I'm not mistaken, the first song where this riff appears is White Spirit's Midnight Chaser (1980). The Riot's song is on their album from 1981.

True. My mistake.

That being said, the chances of Riot being familiar with an obscure band from the Northeast of England back then are probably nil.

I came across something - in this thread (click here) was said that the songs ''Judgement Of Heaven'', ''Man On The Edge'' (''Justice Of The Piece'' and ''Judgement Day'') were already written/unfinished sketches/leftovers from FOTD era....

Maybe JOH or MOTE was written first for TXF album.

I came across something - in this thread (click here) was said that the songs ''Judgement Of Heaven'', ''Man On The Edge'' (''Justice Of The Piece'' and ''Judgement Day'') were already written/unfinished sketches/leftovers from FOTD era....

Wasn’t Man on the Edge written by Janick whilst in White Spirit? :lol:

Interesting thread that which says that. How believable is the guy who wrote it? Reading it I just realised that this Stepjan guy repeats this same story, almost verbatim, about the composing of the songs (which makes me think he just copied from here)

Back