Which Maiden vinyl pressings are the best- 80s or '14?

DrRocklml

Invader
Can't really find definitive answers for this question. Which pressings do you feel are superior for Iron Maiden's 80s albums, the recent reissues? What I really want to know is about any comparisons between the US Captiol releases of SIT and SS and the US reissues of these two albums since they're the hardest to find. Also hear that the 80s pressings have inner groove distortion aswell. What do you all think? Can never find answers to this, and this is the best place to ask.

Honestly, and even though i prefer the original cd's over the 98 ones, i have to say, to me, the 14 ones sound overall better than the original vinyls.

I think they're clearer and, at the same time, full of life. I was really impressed with those reissues.

But i'm sure some will disagree, it's just my take on it. But i must say i'm really looking forward to the debate :cheers:

I think it varies by album. I prefer the 2014 Parlophone (UK) pressings to my 80s U.S. pressings for s/t, PoM, SiT and SSoaSS, but I prefer the originals for Killers, TNotB, and Powerslave. Nothing scientific about that, by the way, just personal preference.

That's the thing. Now, do the 2014 UK pressings sound different than the 2014 US pressings? Don't want to spend a load to import the UK pressings to the US. Why do so many people which are buying these reissues import the UK ones? Is it really that different sounding? I know the covers are much better, but how about the actual sound quality?

The mastering should be the same. I've heard bad things about the quality control at the pressing plant used in North America. Warping, off-center, surface noise, etc. So I ordered the UK versions. The UK box is too small to hold everything though. I thought we had another thread on this. Anyway, if you have the time, here is a huge thread (it continues in three parts) you can read to research:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...ck-vinyl-reissues-coming-in-september.373388/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...l-reissues-coming-in-september-part-2.388717/

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...l-reissues-coming-in-september-part-3.400538/

As for spending a load, I think the price to import from Amazon UK was comparable to the Amazon US price, at least when I ordered them, but the biggest difference was the longer shipping time.

Last edited:
I actually posted on that thread but nobody replied to my questions. I looked on the Vinyl Engine too, no dice. That's why I came here, being a Maiden fan site.

There are a number of people on that thread who have both the U.S. and UK versions (I guess they have cash to burn) and compare them. If you read the threads, you'll find the comparisons. (Look for the posts by rjstauber, he's pretty informative and a Maiden fan to boot). I won't pretend to have read every post, but I've seen enough to get the general gestalt, which is that the mastering is similar or identical, but the physical pressing quality is better in the UK. I bought the UK versions and I am very happy with them (aside from the box being too small).

Think I'll be getting the reissues of SIT and SS, will stick to the 80s US issues of POM and undecided on Powerslave. But now I have a problem with LAD. I've gone through 3 of them now (replacements from Amazon... my original and so far 2 replacements) and all either have skips at the beginning of the Trooper and/or a scratch across Wrathchild. Ugh! So far I've found 1 copy of Disc 1 which doesn't skip, still struggling with the scratched Side 4. Anyone else have this problem with their US LAD?

This is a rather odd thing to compare as many of us who are young cannot compare a "new" vinyl from the 80s so I have to compare to the used I have to the new ones I actually opened and played. I prefer the originals that I have but don't have any experience with the first 3 albums in old, just new. I am in the USA and bought the box thingy being led that it had all of the 80s albums only to find it had the first 3 and that was it :uhm:

Hello everyone... My first post to this great forum. Just purchased the US "Piece Of Mind" reissue today. Just finished listening, and here are my findings. Excellent gatefold cover The artwork, although a scan, which is no issue for me is great. The vinyl is perfectly flat, and the sound is superb. I have owned several original US pressings in varying degrees of condition from mint, to VG+; and just recently heard an original UK press. This one played flawlessly throughout and I could not be more pleased. Love the total balance of sound, that both equals and surpasses all of the previous copies I have owned and heard.
IronMaid1_zpsd6feb305.jpg
IronMaid3_zps5071cdf3.jpg
IronMaid2_zps58baf89d.jpg
IronMaid4_zpscd57a1e4.jpg

For Piece of Mind, I've heard alot of complaints (and I'm one of them) that the channels are unbalanced. The right channel is significantly louder than the left, and this is prevalent in both the US and European reissues. This was very annoying so I returned it and purchased an '83 US pressing.

I've found a fault on the 2 Minutes to Midnight single reissue. It cuts out before the final "Midnight, it's all night", so the song doesn't actually finish.

For Piece of Mind, I've heard alot of complaints (and I'm one of them) that the channels are unbalanced. The right channel is significantly louder than the left, and this is prevalent in both the US and European reissues. This was very annoying so I returned it and purchased an '83 US pressing.
On the UK pressing perhaps... Not this one. I have no issue with it whatsoever.

Well I'm in the US and I most definitely heard it. Not only that I ran it through the EQ and sure enough the right channel was louder.

Originals all the way...

I purchased the SSOASS reissue, and I think it sounds muddy and pretty awful, and don't get me started about the blurry artwork!. I really don't see the point in buying a reissue when you can get a clean copy of one of the originals at roughly the same price.

I actually heard the SS reissue was really good. As for roughly the same price, I hardly ever see vinyl copies of SS in the US, and usually go for $30 or so like every other Maiden vinyl album.

Really cheap vinyl alert:

Amazon (in the US) currently has SOMEWHERE IN TIME on vinyl (2014 reissue) for $11.79. Yes, it's new and there are 14 copies left (as of my post).

Back