Which live album best represents Iron Maiden

Actual albums: Rock in Rio and Maiden England (so many songs only on one live album)
Wish they made live albums for these - Killers tour with Bruce (the speed and aggression alone was nuts), Somewhere on Tour and A Matter of Life and Death tour

Rock in Rio is just pure energy and an amazing set list!!!
Maiden England is also an awesome set list!

The 1999 live version of Killers sounds quite good! (And in my memory not slower, but I am not sure)

They are not ridiculous. I'm afraid this is just what the band literally said on some relatively recent DVD. No one ever was bothered about it, before they started to openly diss this element from pre-reunion tours.

I also find the "recent" fast riff in Fear of the Dark too slow really. Maybe it's because I am used to (and grew up with) the manner the band played this song in the first 10 years (not that video compilation ;) ). But also there, the speed really attributed to the energy and vibe.
I think those tempos are ridiculous. It's completely subjective. I've never been a fan of LAD or ME, partly because the breakneck speeds at which songs like Revelations and Wasted Years were played just totally killed the vibe of the songs.

Perhaps I am wrong, but The Wasted Years studio version sounds faster than the last tour's live version. If I had to choose, I'd really prefer a faster live version over a slow(er) one.

The 1999 live version of Killers sounds quite good! (And in my memory not slower, but I am not sure)

Those Ed Hunter tour live recordings were fantastic. Some of the best b-side material they've put out I think.

I really don't mind too much about the tempo of some of the 80s live recordings. It's live dammit...It's supposed to be a bit more raw and real and energetic...Yes they play really fast on some tunes but they still play the songs well, so they just rip twice as much as the studio version! :edmetal: If I wanted to hear them do perfect renditions of the studio tracks I'd just listen to the albums...

I really don't mind too much about the tempo of some of the 80s live recordings. It's live dammit... It's supposed to be a bit more raw and real and energetic...Yes they play really fast on some tunes but they still play the songs well, so they just rip twice as much as the studio version! :edmetal: If I wanted to hear them do perfect renditions of the studio tracks I'd just listen to the albums...
Hell yes!

Those Ed Hunter tour live recordings were fantastic. Some of the best b-side material they've put out I think....
I was there! :shred:

Also, some of my other favorite Maiden live releases are all of the Wembley 1990 songs, all released on b-sides. There's almost half of the No Prayer for The Dying album there in live versions....:ok:

"Live After Death" for me, each and every time. Also like "Maiden England" and the "A Real Live Dead One" set.

Perhaps I am wrong, but The Wasted Years studio version sounds faster than the last tour's live version. If I had to choose, I'd really prefer a faster live version over a slow(er) one.

you are correct. Live version riff is slower except as the video above shows in 99 and in 86-87 during the original tour

I think a good example in terms of tempo is Revelations from LAD and from Flight 666. SO much better in the second one!

Those Ed Hunter tour live recordings were fantastic. Some of the best b-side material they've put out I think.

I really don't mind too much about the tempo of some of the 80s live recordings. It's live dammit...It's supposed to be a bit more raw and real and energetic...Yes they play really fast on some tunes but they still play the songs well, so they just rip twice as much as the studio version! :edmetal: If I wanted to hear them do perfect renditions of the studio tracks I'd just listen to the albums...
I don't expect perfection, but I don't want to hear sloppy renditions either.

Wasted Years (and another particular song that slipped my mind) was played very slow on the latest tour. Not nice.
However, Wasted Years and The Trooper sound particularly awkward now, and many of the tunes have lost some energy live because of the slower tempos.
It wasn't something that was only brought to light with the Maiden England doc, this has been discussed on this very forum before.
Perhaps I am wrong, but The Wasted Years studio version sounds faster than the last tour's live version.
I'm pretty sure, as Mosh says, the pace of Wasted Years was spoken about before (can't be bothered to look for a link); in fact, Forostar, I'm sure it was you (again) that was talking about how slow it was played on ME 2012/13/14. But when we actually compared the running time (of whatever example we found on YouTube), the live version wasn't any slower than the studio version.
If I had to choose, I'd really prefer a faster live version over a slow(er) one.
You are, of course, perfectly entitled to prefer them faster; I don't personally have any objection to this at all. But as I say, I'm just not sure if it's factually correct that Wasted Years, for example, is being played live, these days, slower than the studio version. Do you have any (measureable) examples of it?

Yea the intro is slow but when the band kicks in it's pretty much normal tempo. I always interpreted that as a "fuck you' from H to Steve. :p

^ yeah. Considering it was Adrian that didn't like them playing the songs faster. His "choking the life out of them". If you listen to live version from the first 2 albums, those are choking the life out of them

Back