Which Iron Maiden album does have the biggest number of filler songs to it?

Dick Brucinson

Dave Sustaine
Which Iron Maiden album does have the biggest number of filler songs to it?
For me the answer is Powerslave.
Sure, the definition of what makes a song a filler is quite a subjective thing at last, but when considering Losfer Words, Flash Of The Blade and The Duellists as fillers, this already makes the album 3 fillers facing 5 non-fillers. If I counted Back In The Village in as well, this would even sum up to 50% of the album being fillers.
Discuss.

Last edited:
NPFTD. Not even really filler. Just bad, uninspired songs. I relistened to it recently and had a miserable time. Followed by FOTD.

I think Powerslaves ‘fillerslave’ reputation is a bit undeserved. Though not up to the quality of the bookending songs they’re certainly not bad at all, and all rollick along with good energy and fire.

Easy for me: Dance Of Death.
Wildest Dreams, Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Age Of Innocence, Journeyman.
My least favourite Maiden album too.

Oh and if it wasn´t for The Duellists, I´d never became a Maiden fan. Great track.

A few weeks ago I went on youtube and listened to all 4 studio albums from the 90s in their entirety after mostly ignoring them because I didn't really enjoy the songs that I had heard. After doing so I bought Virtual XI on cd, but don't really have any interest in the other three.

Like Boroking said it might not necessarily meet the definition of 'filler', I just wasn't into them.

On the plus side I've been feasting on the reunion albums pretty much nonstop.

Easy for me: Dance Of Death.
Wildest Dreams, Gates Of Tomorrow, New Frontier, Age Of Innocence, Journeyman.
My least favourite Maiden album too.

Oh and if it wasn´t for The Duellists, I´d never became a Maiden fan. Great track.
yeah, indeed - DOD is full of fillers, that's true. I would even count No More Lies to the list of fillers, and Wildest Dreams is lame and overrated, that's right. wouldn't agree with Journeyman though, that one was interesting live.

FOTD, but still is one of my favorites.

''Fear Is The Key'', ''Chains Of Misery'', ''The Apparition'', ''Weekend Warrior'' - the songs are good, but the best definition of fillers for me is when you remove those songs from the album and the album is still great.

Fear of the Dark obviously, unless people are using the word filler to describe songs they dislike rather than songs filling out the album.
Correct, FOTD is also full of filler.

often heard that opinion, but I think all songs except for Another Life and Innocent Exile are good
60% of the songs on Killers are leftovers that didn't get recorded for the first album because they didn't make the cut. Like 'em or dislike them, it's pretty obvious that most were written before the band had starting honing their sound for the debut.

Correct, FOTD is also full of filler.

60% of the songs on Killers are leftovers that didn't get recorded for the first album because they didn't make the cut. Like 'em or dislike them, it's pretty obvious that most were written before the band had starting honing their sound for the debut.
I'll bow to Mr K's superior knowledge on this one, but otherwise still believe that Maiden albums don't generally have excess padding in them, only songs that people perceive as a bit weak or generic.

This is so easy, even if it wasn’t true that Killers is mostly leftovers that didn’t make the debut’s cut, it still sounds like five strong songs and six shitty ones (if you include “Twilight Zone”).

Also who the fuck is calling Powerslave’s middle section filler? “The Duellists”?? Have you heard those guitar passages? There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that damn album, next.

Powerslave's 'fillers' compared to NPFTD, FOTD, DOD fillers, are gemstones. Diamonds! Powerslave's only minor problem is: two songs about the same topic. As a composition The Duellists is perfect.

Last edited:
I'm not crazy about Face in the Sand, but overall I am a much bigger fan of DOD than a lot of other folks seem to be.
Top 3 album for me, the exact position depends on my mood. I have my favourites from the album of course but there isn't a single song I don't enjoy here.

Back