Which decade of Maiden do you prefer?

• 00's

Votes: 33 62.3%
  • 90's

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • 00's

Votes: 19 35.8%

• Total voters
Two of my three favourite albums are from the reunion era but as a kid growing up in the 80s nothing was more influential upon my life than Maiden. So without Maiden's existence in the 80s would I have existed? Are Maiden fans merely a construct of the bands imagination? Are we all brushstrokes in a Derek Riggs painting?

This really got the gears grinding, but I'll have to say that the music of the new millenium would be my preference. As much as I love the 80's stuff, every album since Bruce and Adrian's return has been killer.

Jeffmetal said:
That's my opinion, too. I voted for 80's due to the string of classic, seminal albums, and specially 'cos it was when I discovered Maiden, then 00's for becoming the best live band in the galaxy and releasing 3 classic albums out of 4, but in the 90's, they made one of my all time fave albums in The X Factor and, they formed in the 1975, and were already dominating back then. So, it's all eras for me, since the 70's.

It actually becomes pretty obvious when, if somebody would ask me to name my three favourite albums, they come from all three "eras": X Factor, Piece of Mind and A Matter of Life and Death. I just don't see why I always have to like something better than something else. I'm a Maiden fan because I love all their music.

1. Brave New World
2. A Matter Of Life And Death
3. The Number Of The Beast
4. The Final Frontier
5. Dance Of Death

I guess it's pretty obvious what my favourite decade is. Mind you, I've been listening to Maiden since 1982.

I took a look at my latest Top 40 rankings. And the result :

80's Songs - 23
90's Songs - 6
00's Songs - 11

So, 80's is my favorite.

80's because that was when I got into them when I got Piece of Mind when it came out.  The decade also had their best and my fav albums.  That was also when I saw my first and fav concert;  Maiden with Queensryche opening at Radio City Music Hall on the Powerslave tour!! 

thats one reason i think it depends partly on the time you start listening because the first album release and show of maiden you experience will always have a special place in the heart (it atleast does with me) :blush:  im still a new millenium boy, i struggle to find a track id skip from those 4 albums... from earlier periods however the filler percentage seems higher (they were churning them out) and i prefer the gritty proggy modern style theyve taken and nobody else does anything similar now.
      Also should i add to maiden blasphemies that i prefer bruces voice nowadays?  :ninja: from live recordings its alot more... listenable were on LAD it grates on me a bit (on studio albums was sublime though, dunno wether it was in the recording). i dont want to come across as an 80s hater though, i still love it all 1980-2010  :lol:

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Two of my three favourite albums are from the reunion era but as a kid growing up in the 80s nothing was more influential upon my life than Maiden. So without Maiden's existence in the 80s would I have existed? Are Maiden fans merely a construct of the bands imagination? Are we all brushstrokes in a Derek Riggs painting?

Bravo! I think it's the same thing with me - 80s were so influential, because that was when I discovered Maiden (at first I was all  :eek: but then I was like  :yey:)

But in terms of consistency, the 00s incarnation wins hands down. I very rarely skip a track on any of the last 4 albums, while some of the early stuff... half of NOTB gets glossed over. I think their consistency in the 00s, coupled with some of their best songs (Talisman, WTWWB, Longest Day, Passchendale) puts the 80s run slightly behind.

Chartwell said:
But in terms of consistency, the 00s incarnation wins hands down. I very rarely skip a track on any of the last 4 albums, while some of the early stuff... half of NOTB gets glossed over. I think their consistency in the 00s, coupled with some of their best songs (Talisman, WTWWB, Longest Day, Passchendale) puts the 80s run slightly behind.

You put it better than me  :lol:  i always sound like im on the warpath with the 80s but this is pretty much what i had in my head word for word              bravo

I cant vote because the option is not there :lol: but I have to say 1986 to 1996 because that is generally when people think Maiden were on the Artistic decline, but I love that era because there are so many good but "unknown" songs from the era that an average fan would never know about

I never thought anything would rival 80s Maiden musically for me, I was just getting into metal and Maiden was the best around.  The only thing that posisbly tops 80s Maiden is 2000s Maiden, but I think the 80s still get the nod, the quality if very similar, but the 80s win out on quantity.

My three favourite albums are from the eighties. But two albums from this decade I like better than all the others.

Travis_AKA_fonzbear2000 said:
The 00's for me. Maiden got much more creative and progressive sounding with their music.

Am I the only one who hears more prog in Phantom of the Opera than on nearly all the 00's albums combined? 

Donner said:
Am I the only one who hears more prog in Phantom of the Opera than on nearly all the 00's albums combined? 

Speaking for myself, yes. Lord of Light alone goes nutty prog, as does S15...TFF. TROBB is also a good prog rocker. Phantom doesn't even begin to come close, seeing as how it was born in an era of prog-rejection. Maybe it was prog hangover?

Back