Wheres the 80-81 tunes?

I understand this is supposed to be the somewhere back in time tour starting from 80? Where is the representation from Iron Maiden and Killers?
Only Iron Maiden was played nothing else. That is horrible. I would have loved to have heard Phantom of the Opera or Wrathchild or maybe Purgatory, Sanctuary, Charlotte the Harlot. Nothing. They need to stop ignoring the first two albums and give them some respect.

1. The tour is supposedly meant to focus on the period 1984-1988,
with 9 songs in total coming from those three albums
. There was a certain tour called The Early Days tour - and then they played many songs from these two albums.

2. When talking about the setlist on this current tour, use spoiler tags whenever you mention song names please ...

Sorry about the spoiler thing, well the early days tour didn't go through the States then. And if it is focusing on 84 to 88 then why are they playing
Fear of the Dark and the NOB tunes? NOB came out in 82, Piece of Mind 83?
They may just want to re adjust the way they are advertising this.

The questions you are asking have been asked by many on here. Many think that
Number of the Beast, Run to the Hills, Fear of the Dark, Revelations, The Trooper or at least a couple of those songs should've been exchanged for more songs from Seventh Son and Somewhere in Time.

The thing that the Early Days tour didn't include as many US dates as the current tour doesn't matter since if it should matter, they would have to change the set list for the US venues they didn't play on the Early Days tour. And as we all now, Maiden don't change their set list very often (if at all) during a tour.

I think when they first came up with the idea for this tour, they intended to focus on the three albums from 84 to 88. But it seems like they realized they had too many songs from the previous albums that they just couldn't drop for another tour (remember, they played only 5 songs from other albums than AMOLAD on the last tour). So from a tour focused on Powerslave, SIT and SOASS, it has evolved to simply being a "greatest hits" tour. Which is nice. All the songs they are playing are good songs in a live setting. Of course, I would love to hear songs like
Stranger in a Strange Land, Caught Somewhere in Time or Infinite Dreams
, but I haven't heard many songs from the current setlist live before anyway, so I'm looking very much forward to it.

PS: I suggest you modify your two posts in here - just mark the sentences including song names and click the "spoiler" icon.

PPS: Fuck it, I'm only 25 and haven't got 400 posts yet, and I'm already starting to sound like a grumpy old fart ...

I am sorry but I don't see a spoiler icon anyhwhere so for now I won't post anymore songs. I guess you are right but in my opinion I feel they played too much from 7th son. And for some reason they always disregard Killers. Like they want to forget about it or something. I think it's one of their best if not their best besides Number of the Beast.

The Ides of March said:
I am sorry but I don't see a spoiler icon anyhwhere so for now I won't post anymore songs. I guess you are right but in my opinion I feel they played too much from 7th son. And for some reason they always disregard Killers. Like they want to forget about it or something. I think it's one of their best if not their best besides Number of the Beast.

When you write a post you have the toolbar right above the field where you type, right? Starting with the buttons for bold, italics and underline and ending with the smileys. Almost all the way to the right in the second row you have the spoiler thing. Just below the red "A".

I'll put everything regarding my setlist opinion in the spoiler tags to be safe:

When considering the song listing, I agree that they could play Killers more often. You mean the song, right? If you mean the album, I also agree there are several songs on there that deserve to be played more often. However, I disagree very much on the Seventh Son thing. They play only three songs from that album and that includes two of the shortest ones. I would personally love to see Can I Play With Madness replaced by Infinite Dreams or the title track (yeah, right - as if they're ever going to play that again). But more than that, I'd like to see one of those songs replace Run to the hills or Number of the beast. Good songs, but so damn overplayed ...

Spoiler tags look like this:
Code:
[spoiler]I R SONG SPOILER[/spoiler]

Consider this an official warning.
Also, Ides, you missed your tour.  It happened in, what, 2005?  Sadly, I doubt we'll hear much from IM or Killers again.

I don't actually care if we miss those songs.

Ides, the Early Days tour portion for America was done while they were co-headlining (some would say correctly, headlining) Ozzfest here. Sorry you missed it.

If I had my preference, they would have played only songs off of Powerslave, Somewhere in Time, 7th Son of a 7th Son and No Prayer for the Dying on this tour since they played the first 4 albums on the other go around. It was still a great show though.

GuineaPig: I don't think spoilers are necessary when discussing a tour that happened several years ago.  But, better safe than sorry I suppose.

The Ides of March said:
...well the early days tour didn't go through the States then.

Maiden headlined Ozzfest for about 20 shows in the summer of 2005. That was the Early Days tour. My condolences for your failure to notice. As for me, I saw that tour and it was great.

cornfedhick said:
GuineaPig: I don't think spoilers are necessary when discussing a tour that happened several years ago.  But, better safe than sorry I suppose.

Isn't a spoiler by definition information that "spoils" your enjoyment of a future event because you know too much about it? :blink:  Unless they invent a time machine, no one's going to go back and see the Early Days tour again.

Unless they invent a time machine, no one's going to go back and see the Early Days tour again.

I don't know, after the next tour to $upport their next album they may ju$t do another one. It wouldn't $urpri$e me at all.

Invader said:
Isn't a spoiler by definition information that "spoils" your enjoyment of a future event because you know too much about it? :blink:  Unless they invent a time machine, no one's going to go back and see the Early Days tour again.

Well, on the first few posts Ides of March mentioned songs that were played on this tour ... and questioned why other old songs weren't played instead.

Invader said:

Someone could discover the Ullevi DVD for the first time.  :bigsmile:

I heard that they're gonna do a tour for the next CD and after that, another best of (farewell?) tour. From what I gathered, they don't have much planned after 2011-12, which could be a bad sign.

Tap_Legion said:
I heard that they're gonna do a tour for the next CD and after that, another best of (farewell?) tour. From what I gathered, they don't have much planned after 2011-12, which could be a bad sign.

Well, I do remember Bruce or Steve mentioning that they basically planned the next ten years when they got back together in 1999, so I wouldn't take it as a bad sign really.
Although, perhaps they are leaving it in the air at the moment because they're not sure they want to keep playing to such a scehdule, but I dont think we will know that till then. In other words, who knows? Lets just enjoy them while we can!

Invader said:

That's pretty much what I said in my post.  The "better safe than sorry" line was meant to convey that, particularly in a thread comparing this tour's setlist to an earlier tour's, it may be better to err on the side of adding spoiler tags even if you think they're probably unnecessary. 

cornfedhick said:
That's pretty much what I said in my post.  The "better safe than sorry" line was meant to convey that, particularly in a thread comparing this tour's setlist to an earlier tour's, it may be better to err on the side of adding spoiler tags even if you think they're probably unnecessary. 

True, but the whole title of this thread is already provocative in terms of spoilers, and I don't think anyone who is afraid of seeing the setlist would even look at this thread.  True, it's better to be safe than sorry, but I think there's a line somewhere and spoiler tagging *previous tours'* setlists crosses that line in my opinion.

I missed it then. Ok. Aside from this tour and spoilers, Maiden seem to not really give many props to Killers or Iron Maiden on compilations either. I am not sure if it is because Paul sang on them or not but it seems like they never give any credit to killers. Which is my most fav metal album of all time. It was just my first time seeing them and it was a great show and all, I guess I misinterpreted how far back they were going.

Back