When did Janick start going 'freestyle'?

Spaldy

Ancient Mariner
Was there a specific point where Janick thought "fuck it" and began freewheeling his solos over playing them as they are on the records?

Listening to much of the NPFTD and FOTD live material (including ARLDO) he seems to have more adherence to how the solos should actually sound vs how we know his live playing style to be now.

To be honest, I think his playing became much more accurate once Adrian re-joined the band!

I couldn't help but feel during the 90s that he was consistently butchering Adrian's solos (and this comes from someone who really appreciates Janick's contributions to the band).

To be honest, I think his playing became much more accurate once Adrian re-joined the band!

I couldn't help but feel during the 90s that he was consistently butchering Adrian's solos (and this comes from someone who really appreciates Janick's contributions to the band).
It really started in 1992 I think. On the No Prayer on the Road bootlegs, Janick's pretty on point and doing some really nice runs I've never heard him do since. Rough around the edges as is his style, but Sledgehammer for example I'd say even the solos that would normally be unlistenable like 2MTM or NOTB sounded pretty alright to me. I guess once he felt his spot was secure he started letting loose a bit more and improvising?

I suppose he could 'perform' even more once there were 6 in the band. But I'm not sure.

His A Real Dead One solos are something crazy to behold at times.

Back