What's so great about Killers?

Everytime the original Maiden line up gets brought up, most people automatically say 'oh yeah Killers thats a great album". Sorry I don't get it. I thought the first album was way stronger. The songs on the 1st album were way better. To me Killers had too many filler tracks. Where as on the first album almost every track was strong.

Now if you were to say Killers had the best cover then I would agree with you. Best songs "Iron Maiden" hands down.  :edmetal:

Killers has the problem of being full of songs that were excluded from Iron Maiden. However, that doesn't make it a bad album. Firstly, it has much, much better production, and the addition of Adrian Smith on guitar, which makes each track sound better than Iron Maiden. To some people, this is a big deal.

It also has some incredible tracks - "Wrathchild", "Murders in the Rue Morgue", and "Killers" are all timeless Maiden classics. However, it has weaker tracks - "Drifter", "Innocent Exile", "Purgatory" - that do harm it a bit. Most people would agree that Iron Maiden is the better album, despite its difficulties, but I don't think that makes Killers bad. Killers has some incredible moments.

So, to answer your question: Production, H, and "Killers" is what's great about Killers.

LC, Purgatory is weak?  Really? 

I have to disagree. It's my favorite track on that album, and in my top 20 of all time.

Each to their own of course, but I'm curious, why the lack of love?

Yeah. First album is better. But Killers has great production and great sound. Killers is the beginning of the classic Iron Maiden sound I think. Debut album has classic Maiden sound too but Killers is the peak of it. Heavy Metal is changed with Killers. Look at Metallica's first album. Kill'em All. That's pure thrash but you can see "Killers" parts on that album. Killers influented so many bands. That's the difference of the first and second albums.

mozzle said:
LC, Purgatory is weak?   Really? 

I have to disagree. It's my favorite track on that album, and in my top 20 of all time.

Each to their own of course, but I'm curious, why the lack of love?

I'm with you Mozzle. It's my favorite track off of the album for sure as well.

It never clicked, mozzle. Sorry. I far prefer the sound of Killers to any of the shorter songs.

Innocent Exile is one of my fave of all times! Can't forget getting my mind blown away, in 1986, listening to it at mere 5 years old. What a moment!!! Purgatory, Prodigal Son... UP THE IRONS!!! :edmetal:

I also just happen to really love how 'Arry sounds on this album. The intro to the title track makes me involuntarily nod my head, but I'm sure I'm the only one who's ever experienced this scientific anomaly.

I'll take Killers over Iron Maiden the album as well. Purgatory, Killers, Murders in the roux morgue, innocent exile, prodigal son- all classics and I think all these are better than anything on I.M.  Ides of March and Wrathchild as well....no comparison here guys.  

mozzle said:
LC, Purgatory is weak?   Really? 

Count me in the pro-"Purgatory" group.  Love that song.  I do agree that Iron Maiden is a more consistently excellent album, though in my opinion, "Killers" and "Murders in the Rue Morgue" are 2 of the 3 best songs from the Di'Anno era (the very best being "Phantom"). 

LooseCannon said:
However, it has weaker tracks - "Drifter", "Innocent Exile", "Purgatory" - that do harm it a bit.

Whoa whoa LC, speak for yourself  :ninja: Those are some of my favorite songs off of that record, especially Innocent Exile! I would consider Another Life and Twilight Zone to be the more weaker songs. But as for the topic, some people prefer Killers to Iron Maiden and others would list Iron Maiden over Killers. I happen to like Killers just a bit more than Iron Maiden, I personally prefer the production of the album, and feel the songs are written better and pack more of a punch than that of Iron Maiden, plus it as Adrian Smith on guitar! But at the end of the day, it's just a matter of opinion. You've just happen to come across Maiden fans who all have a different opinion than yourself, that's all. I respect your opinion though. Iron Maiden is definitely a terrific album.

By the way, Welcome to Maidenfans  :hello:

HallowedBeMyName said:
Whoa whoa LC, speak for yourself  :ninja: Those are some of my favorite songs off of that record, especially Innocent Exile! I would consider Another Life and Twilight Zone to be the more weaker songs. But as for the topic, some people prefer Killers to Iron Maiden and others would list Iron Maiden over Killers. I happen to like Killers just a bit more than Iron Maiden, I personally prefer the production of the album, and feel the songs are written better and pack more of a punch than that of Iron Maiden, plus it as Adrian Smith on guitar! But at the end of the day, it's just a matter of opinion. You've just happen to come across Maiden fans who all have a different opinion than yourself, that's all. I respect your opinion though. Iron Maiden is definitely a terrific album.

By the way, Welcome to Maidenfans  :hello:

Thanks for the welcome and I respect your opinion as well.

Hey differance of opinion or not I think it sparked a pretty interesting discussion. Thanks guys for the input.

Yamasidious said:
Thanks for the welcome and I respect your opinion as well.

Hey differance of opinion or not I think it sparked a pretty interesting discussion. Thanks guys for the input.

...I officially love this forum.

My god, it's as though I'm talking with civilized adults about metal. I never thought I'd see the day :p

Most Metalheads are very intelligent, it's just that they opt to embracing passion instead of debating with other intelligent people like in these forums. The problem are the idiots in disguise, like on mfu.

Jeffmetal said:
Most Metalheads are very intelligent, it's just that they opt to embracing passion instead of debating with other intelligent people like in these forums. The problem are the idiots in disguise, like on mfu.

I was slightly teasing. I'm part of a few communities, but it's always nice to have civil insightful discourse on the internet. (That's far rarer than well-rounded conversation with metalheads on a whole)

Back