What the F%*! is wrong with the East Coast?

Black Dragon said:
Kerrang! also once said that Iced Earth and Meshuggah were "black metal's most underground bands" you know. Oh, and let's not forget when they said Trivium were "the saviours of thrash metal". ^_^ They're not even thrash metal. Seriously though, how can you thrash with weak, rehashed In Flames riffs?
Kerrang! used to be good when Geoff Barton (the reputed originator of the phrase NWOBHM for you younger readers) was at the helm. Or was that simply because I was young and impressionable? :huh:

Speaking of crap metal mags, has anyone seen the 2006 Metal Hammer awards?  What a joke.  There are about three half-decent musicians shortlisted (Page, Hetfield, King, McBrain) and some half-decent bands (DragonForce, Within Temptation (but not for their decent stuff!  No, for their new commerical album!), but Avenged SevenFold and Trivium show up in about every category, which just goes to prove the oft-stressed point...Metal media sucks (unless it's extremely anti-mainstream, in which case it's doomed to failure and obscurity) :(.  In fact, the more I think about it, there's such a dilemma among good metal bands.  Stick to what you know and like, and not get that much acclaim, or go commercial to try and get in with the MTV crew?  Well, looking at bands like DF, WT and Metallica, it appears the allure of cold hard cash is very attractive...although I don't blame them, it is a chance to make good money, it's just a pity that they'd compromise on their fans' expectations to get more fame (and crappy nominations in a shit metal mag....)

Silky said:
Speaking of crap metal mags, has anyone seen the 2006 Metal Hammer awards?  What a joke.  There are about three half-decent musicians shortlisted (Page, Hetfield, King, McBrain) and some half-decent bands (DragonForce, Within Temptation (but not for their decent stuff!  No, for their new commerical album!), but Avenged SevenFold and Trivium show up in about every category, which just goes to prove the oft-stressed point...Metal media sucks (unless it's extremely anti-mainstream, in which case it's doomed to failure and obscurity) :(.  In fact, the more I think about it, there's such a dilemma among good metal bands.  Stick to what you know and like, and not get that much acclaim, or go commercial to try and get in with the MTV crew?  Well, looking at bands like DF, WT and Metallica, it appears the allure of cold hard cash is very attractive...although I don't blame them, it is a chance to make good money, it's just a pity that they'd compromise on their fans' expectations to get more fame (and crappy nominations in a shit metal mag....)
Silky, whenever you are a guitar maestro, and you have the "choice" to make, I think you'll be very hard to persuade to stick to your traditional roots.

Back