What songs do Maiden change live?

naranja

Educated Fool
I was noticing Metallica cutting out the middle section of Battery or cutting the Blackened solo short.

Which songs have Maiden changed live?

The few I can think of-

Angel and the Gambler definitely got shortened live over the tour.

Lord of the Flies. Transposed into a different key and I think the "whoa" section was twice as long.

Didn't they shorted Phantom?

Pretty sure that at some point after 2010 or so they altered the opening riff to The Wickerman. And while not quite an alteration, Evil That Men Do and Trooper both have harmonized guitar solos.

Sign of the Cross has never had any clean guitars, except during the intro and the interlude with the choir vocals, when performed live. That gives some parts a totally different sound.

Sanctuary we all now that last part was added.
I belive intro of Revelations in 2005 was shorter than studio version.

"Powerslave" had the original studio backing vocal harmonies added in the chorus in 2016-17, sampled and loaded into a keyboard and played by Michael Kenny.

"TFF" and "El Dorado" had their ending and intro combined in 2011.

"Wildest Dreams" had a "crash and burn" ending added in 2010, as did "Wasted Years" in 2016-17 and 2023.

I keep thinking of more!

"Paschendale" was changed in 2010 so that the whole band dropped out leaving Bruce to sing the the lines "So that people know the truth, Tell the tale of Paschendale" by himself immediately before the middle section.

Adrian added a harmony over the end of the verse sections in "Brighter Than A Thousand Suns" in 2007 (and possibly 2006? not sure)

I keep thinking of more!

"Paschendale" was changed in 2010 so that the whole band dropped out leaving Bruce to sing the the lines "So that people know the truth, Tell the tale of Paschendale" by himself immediately before the middle section.
But that was just a mistake on Nicko's part.

Going by that they have changed almost every song they are performing this year

From 2011 and onwards, Dave Murray has played the intro lead melody to Blood Brothers with his distorted lead tone, instead of using a clean tone. Compare En Vivo and Live Chapters version with studio and Rock in Rio for example. He did the same last year.

IM has a different drum beat and the middle section is extended (for big Eddie).
SIASL has an outro instead of a fade out. Same for HOE.

But that was just a mistake on Nicko's part.

Going by that they have changed almost every song they are performing this year
No it wasn't. The entire band played it this way consistently until it was dropped a few shows in. If it was a mistake on Nicko's part, how come Steve and all three guitarists happened to make the exact same "mistake" at the same time?

Bruce played a clean guitar on Revelations on the Powerslave tour, so that they could replicate one part more accurately. Janick has always played that part in later years though.

Last edited:
No it wasn't. The entire band played it this way consistently until it was dropped a few shows in. If it was a mistake on Nicko's part, how come Steve and all three guitarists happened to make the exact same "mistake" at the same time?
I have to check the live recordings, but I thought that only happened at one gig. And Rod talked about Nicko finally getting Paschendale right after maybe 7 or 8 shows that tour. It's on a IMTV episode.

I have to check the live recordings, but I thought that only happened at one gig. And Rod talked about Nicko finally getting Paschendale right after maybe 7 or 8 shows that tour. It's on a IMTV episode.
I dunno, sounds pretty intentional to me based on these recordings from San Antonio and Dallas- the entire band stops early and lets the last note ring out in unison while Bruce finishes his lines. If it was just Nicko making a mistake, how come they're ALL doing it?

Back