What made Clive so special?

Last time I saw British Lion I brought TXF and BNW cd booklets to get signed, guy in front of me had a fuckin replica bass. Steve asked if he played and he said no. I reckon he needs to get out more but each to their own.

Last time I saw British Lion I brought TXF and BNW cd booklets to get signed, guy in front of me had a fuckin replica bass. Steve asked if he played and he said no. I reckon he needs to get out more but each to their own.

:lol: :lol:

If I finally go to the London gig, I might bring an umbrella for Steve to hold.

What made Clive so special?

He played drums for Iron Maiden. Duh.

Seriously, though, he was ok. A pretty good rock drummer, with some flashes of above average technical skills.

The first 3-4 seconds of Where Eagles Dare served notice that there was a new sheriff in town.

I don't know if Maiden's songs expanded because of Nicko, or they got Nicko because they were expanding.

I'm just saying, Maiden was growing, their songs were getting more involved, and they needed a drummer capable of keeping up. Clive had simply reached his limit.

Clive was certainly better than a lot of drummers out there that get showered with praise for being great drummers.

I'm not a drummer. I hear lots of drummers on a regular basis though. My question is literally in the subject: why was Clive so well regarded as a drummer? When I listen to Nicko, he just blows away Clive in every sense, and most other drummers as well. In an age where everyone is trying to one up each other with double bass, no one sounds like Nicko. When I listen to the first three Maiden albums, which I've been doing for over 30 years now, I just don't hear anything super special or standout about him.

To be clear, this is not a knock against Clive. I'm asking because I'm ignorant on his place in the drumming world and want to understand so I can better appreciate his work. He's a very solid drummer, but nothing stands out to me regarding his playing.
@chaosapiant since you did not react since Thursday, I was wondering if you now get what is special about him. In my first post in this topic I mentioned the stuff he is good at, and you know what? He's not not only good at these things: he is better in these things than Nicko. So if you find Nicko a standout, do realize that Clive does several things Nicko (and many other drummers) cannot do that well. Thus, Clive deserves an increase in admiration. Hope to have changed your view and have a nice day.

Back