What is the Rarest Song you've seen Iron Maiden perform live?

You didn't miss much. The 1998 gig was, by far, the worst Maiden show I have attended.
How is your perception of the general vibe back in 1998? I know that the gig in Stockholm, at Hovet in September 1998, has been mentioned as one of the few highlights of the tour (sold out and 8 000 in attendance, and there's also a decent bootleg recording with the audience clapping along enthuastically during the Clansman intro) - but some other gigs in Europe didn't go down well at all, right?

And for me:
The Great Unknown (O2 Arena, London, 2017) - according to setlist FM it was performed just 45 times, compared to 72 for Tears of a Clown, the song that it replaced in the set.

On fora and newsgroups there were complainers, but from the venue where I was and most bootlegs I'm aware of I can't say it did not go down well.
I'm just thinking about the statement from Nicko a while ago in an Classic Rock article that dealed with the whole back catalouge, in which he said something like that the Virtual XI tour were mixed feelings for him, and that "some nights it was great, and some other it wasn't."

Maybe that wasn't just because of the audience then.

Last edited:
I'm just thinking about the statement from Nicko a while ago in an Classic Rock article that dealed with the whole back catalouge, in which he said something like that that the Virtual XI tour were mixed feelings for him, and that "some nights it was great, and some other it wasn't."

Maybe that wasn't just because of the audience then.
Nicko was referring to Blaze and his well documented problems on that tour (which ultimately resulted in his sacking from the band).

For the record my first Maiden show was VXI and it was a great show.

Maiden as a whole or does Bruce count? In which case Empire of the Clouds and also Benny Hill theme on kazoo

Another Life, I'm pretty sure anyway, at the Hammersmith 2005 Clive Aid gig. My first Maiden gig. Then again I suppose for me at least, a large chunk of that tour's set list could be considered "rarely played".

Yeah, if you look at the statistics, songs from the last couple of albums would be rarest. But then again...
These songs were played on stadiums during world tour, which makes means millions saw them live. On the other hand, some from the earliest album were played more often but to a smaller audience. And now, even some of that audience is gone. So I'm going to put Charlotte the Harlot here. Damn, that Chorzow setlist in '05 was amazing (and what an introductory to see Maiden live for the first time.)

Still waiting for someone to say Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Bruce singning nine Killers tracks back in 1981 must have been rare too. Twilight Zone, Innocent Exile and Purgatory sung by Bruce, wow!

Last edited:
Still waiting for someone to say Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner. Bruce singning nine Killers tracks back in 1981 must have been rare too. Twilight Zone, Innocent Exile and Purgatory sung by Bruce, wow!

Back