What is Maidens signiture Sound and Song?

Mysterio

Invader
I was playing my MP3 player to a friend of mine.  He is not a Im fan, he more into the pop sceane.  I played him Powerslave and it was only for about 20 seconds.  I laughed when he said, "thats not Iron Maiden is it".  I was wondering what do you think is IM signiture sound and song. 

I say its Run to the hills.  The sound and song to me has all levels of IM, the galloping base line the up and down tempos.  They can't go a show without playing this song.

Mysterio

Re: What is Maidens signiture Sound amd Song?

Mysterio said:
I say its Run to the hills.  The sound and song to me has all levels of IM, the galloping base line the up and down tempos.  They can't go a show without playing this song.

Yes, they can and did.

Iron Maiden is their signature song.

Most played and rather iconic, I agree, but I think Fear of the Dark or Hallowed Be Thy Name represent the Maiden sound and style more.  Both are long, atmospheric, and epic songs (which especially modern Maiden is), absolutely amazing live, and some of their best ever songs (which Iron Maiden and Run to the Hills aren't, IMO).

"Iron Maiden" is one obvious choice for a signature song. But I'd say "Hallowed Be Thy Name" is a better choice.

Both IM and Hallowed have been played at every full-length concert since their release. I think only TNoTB shares that distinction.

I recall their Live At Abbey Road thing from a year or two ago. They played BTATS and Hallowed. BTATS was a new-ish song then ...  so when the band themselves had to choose ONE old song, they chose Hallowed.

The Trooper says it all for me. Galopping bass, harmonies, the vocals, solos.

However, Hallowed has more atmosphere, which is another important side of the band.

Invader said:
Most played and rather iconic, I agree, but I think Fear of the Dark or Hallowed Be Thy Name represent the Maiden sound and style more.  Both are long, atmospheric, and epic songs (which especially modern Maiden is), absolutely amazing live, and some of their best ever songs (which Iron Maiden and Run to the Hills aren't, IMO).

That's not what a signature song is. Most played and iconic is exactly what you're looking for in a signature song.

In fact, the more I think about it, "Run To The Hills" probably is the Maiden signature song for people who are only casual fans (at least in the US, where it is still their biggest hit). As more devoted fans, we might choose a different song. Or as I noted above, the band may choose a different song. But the great unwashed masses would likely pick RTTH.

(OK, I'm done with all the unnecessary italics now.)

SinisterMinisterX said:
I think only TNoTB shares that distinction.

Nope, that wasn't played on the AMOLAD tour.

Well we all know that Bruce considers Phantom of the Opera as essential Maiden.

SinisterMinisterX said:
That's not what a signature song is. Most played and iconic is exactly what you're looking for in a signature song.

In fact, the more I think about it, "Run To The Hills" probably is the Maiden signature song for people who are only casual fans (at least in the US, where it is still their biggest hit). As more devoted fans, we might choose a different song. Or as I noted above, the band may choose a different song. But the great unwashed masses would likely pick RTTH.

(OK, I'm done with all the unnecessary italics now.)

Fair enough, but I was also thinking about the original background of the post, i.e. trying to get a pop fan to listen, and to show what Maiden are all about.  For me at least, Hallowed is far more what Maiden is about than Iron Maiden or Run to the Hills.  Iron Maiden isn't even a good song if you ask me, it was definitely the most boring song on the last tour (though it did have Eddie).  In my opinion, of course.

And if you play either the Real Live Dead One or Rock in Rio versions of Fear of the Dark, I don't think you can get much closer to Maiden signature sound.  It needs that audience-band synergy that the beginning melody of Fear of the Dark has more than any other song.

In that case, I must confess that I always use a more offbeat choice of song....

When I introduce new people to Maiden, I like to do it with "Genghis Khan".

If that's the case, I got several people into Maiden by playing No More Lies to them.

Invader said:
Totally agree, I think those songs are the ones that represent Maiden the most.

Perun said:
Iron Maiden is their signature song.

And I like soo much that there is no solo inside  :)

Plesiosaur said:
Well we all know that Bruce considers Phantom of the Opera as essential Maiden.

You got them, Dean  ;)

Phantom for me, as well

Here's the signature:

2345373666_7f35f61681.jpg

I think "Hallowed" is definitely Maiden's signature song.  It has every trait that one might ascribe to Maiden jam-packed into 8 minutes of awesomeness.

I'm going to go with the majority here and say Hallowed be thy name. From personal experience I've got three people that don't like Metal/rock at all to say that Paschendale is one of the best songs they've heard :yey:.........and LC I got one from Bruce with ED force one  :)(He even gave me his best wishes)  :blush:

I've managed to get people into Maiden using a variety of songs:
The most popular one that most people have heard is Run to the Hills.
Another almost as popular song is Bring Your Daughter...to the Slaughter

Then the usual suspects (generally singles):
2 Minutes to Midnight, Aces High, Hallowed Be Thy Name, Fear of the Dark, Can I Play With Madness? The Wicker Man, Rainmaker, The Trooper and The Number of the Beast.

I normally introduce the band using a full album rather than a specific song or greatest hits, so I suppose the songs that I introduce people with are stuff like Invaders, Moonchild, etc. My fave to play to people who haven't heard any of their songs though is Phantom of the Opera, that usually gets people going "wow".

As for their signature sound, I'd have to go with the natural gallop that appears in so many of their songs and also their typical lyrical style and the interesting and intricate guitar work. I won't say Bruce is part of the signature sound, because people can even tell its Maiden with Paul or Blaze on vocals. Many a time I've put Man on the Edge on the jukebox and people have asked "is this Maiden?" without being prompted.

Back