What five albums collectively represents Maiden's catalogue the best?

Yax

Ancient Mariner
So, it's "silly Maiden thread" time, with a large chunk of serious consideration. I'm currently spinning a couple of tunes from AMOLAD, and this curveball came spinning into my head during the galloping section right before the outro to BTATS. Now, Maiden have made lots of albums and I get it, you can't cover all of that ground with just five albums, but we could at least try. The idea is to show the wide (or narrow, whatever you'd call it) palette of Maiden's discography with just five albums. It doesn't have to be x albums per era, or I suppose, not all eras represented either, but what five albums could collectively represent Maiden's entire body of work?

I would probably argue that the debut, Powerslave, SSOASS, X Factor and AMOLAD would represent the width of Maiden's efforts. AMOLAD for instance, stands with one leg in the BNW realm and the other leaning in towards the TBOS region of things and subsequently covers the reunion era enough in this game. The X factor is, well, more unique than any other Maiden album. The debut represents the roughness of the first four albums, which NPFTD and FoTD tried to recapture, while Powerslave shows the end result of said early roughness coupled with the increasing epic leanings which peaked with SSOASS.

Ah, silly Maiden thread time! But you sold it so nicely, I'm in!
Mind you, some things I'll say should not be taken seriously. Don't know which yet. Let's go! (chronologically)

Killers (1981)
When people describe the debut album with "raw" or "rough" I don't know if they mean production or the songs themselves. Apart from title track and Prowler, I wouldn't say the rest of them are rough. Not even aggressive. Killers on the other hand (apart from Prodigal Son) oozes with that aggressiveness and speed that was noticeable on some tracks on the debut album. But unlike "Iron Maiden", which is all over the place (as is usually with most debut albums since band or artist took a long time to make them) Maiden passed "curse of the second album" with a thumb up by one man solely, and it's a great indicator about the future of the band. More than 40 years later (!!!), that same guy takes more than 50% of the album (of which 25% are awesome). Also, Paul diAnno. To me, vocal plays a big part in music, and it wouldn't be fair to exclude him (or Blaze) if I'm making Maiden palette.

Powerslave (1985)
All you Charlotte-fu**ers calling this one Fillerslave forget what's not "filler" on this album (side note: not a filler to me - I'd take those four middle tracks over majority of 90s Maiden). Anthemic opener, radio hit single, progressive masterpiece (progressive because progresses from great to "OMFG") and an epic which is constantly considered as one of their best. Yes, there is no gallop here and previous two albums also had their hit singles. But NOTB fired is some directions that weren't attempted again or recreated, and POM just keeps dipping in quality as the albums goes, reaching some run-of-the-mill tunes. Furthermore, maybe the next two albums deserve this spot, but then again - SIT has synth, but the formula is still the same as on the previous three. 7th Son maybe has this more focused approach and is definitely a step-up in terms of grandeur, but again, it's more similar to Powerslave than to anything that happened after. And Powerslave came first, so there you go. Earl bird gets the worm.

Fear of the Dark (1992)
Dare I say cock-rock? No. But when you simplify things and move on to topics like money, motorbikes and hooligans - you may not stand out from the rest of the scene, but you're going to stand out from the rest of your discography. Not like that's a bad thing. Venturing into Maiden, I got hooked on some of these tunes, while some later 80s stuff didn't sit well at first (the verdict is opposite now). I dare saying this is maybe the most commercial album of theirs, making it also most approachable, I guess? Also, it has signs of doom and gloom that are going to play a heavy factor in 90s and in some cases in reunion era.

Virtual XI (1998)
I wrote what I wrote - Virtual XI. I said I'm going to include Blaze, so I did. The previous Blaze album kind of merges with FOTD in some aspects, so there's nothing new there. On the other hand, welcome to an era of long choruses, long intros and whoo-hoa sing-a-long parts. And Steve questioning everything around him. Also, it's better when a palette has more color, right? What's more colorful than sticking The Angel and the Gambler with Wratchild, Ancient Mariner and Fugitive?!

Senjutsu (2021)
Brave New World is my favorite album. It's definitely the "new" Maiden. But if I include it here, Senjutsu would be out and Senjutsu has more to offer. Taking anything you want from reunion era - Senjutsu has it. Hell, take everything from their discography - Senjutsu has it. Aggressiveness, goofiness, prog-influenced elements, ballads, epics, short rockers, anything really that Maiden had done - it's here (and in some cases it's taken to a whole another level). Hell, just skim around threads when Senjutsu came out, there'll be term "self-plagiarism" on every page.

Brave New World was really something new, something different. Some say it's a continuation of VXI (and not just because Dream of Mirrors was made during those sessions) and I see what they point at. But since then, every album has been a step further in that direction (AMOLAD being an exception, but more on that later). I've read once that BNW played it safe while on Dance of Death band fired on all guns, and I somewhat agree with that (although some of those were blanks). You couldn't find Paschendale on BNW or any previous albums, same as you couldn't find Starblind on Dance of Death (I still think The Final Frontier is a great continuation on Dance of Death in terms of upping their game in certain areas). AMOLAD is something different (and no way I'm saying it's a conceptual album. The best you can get from me is 'coherent'). But that doomy/depressive atmosphere was done before, those prog and epic elements were done after so, to me, AMOLAD really isn't presentable as 'different color' in a pallet. After all, AMOLAD only uses those army colors, not much to draw with there.

Reviews for Senjutsu were mostly positive (except those couple of individuals who got extremely disappointed with Senjutsu, and wrote it's their worst and some other fairy tales) and there is a reason for that. No matter, what your favorite Maiden song, album, era is - there has to be a riff, lead melody, lyric line, drum fill take reminded you why you love listening to Iron Maiden (please, no Legacy/Talisman/Time Machine jokes here - if you rehash your jokes about Janick rehashing his parts then he's the kettle, and you're smoking pot. Or Janick called you pot. Or you're kettle. Something like that.) Anyway, nothing to do with topic anymore, but Senjutsu rocks. Since it came out, I think I listened to at least a song from it every week (high chances that song might be The Parchment)

Oh, and if anybody pulls that TNOTB-7th Son string of albums in this thread - ban them.

I’m giving a a simplistic (also currently drunk) opinion so here it is:

Killers: Murders in the Rue Morgue also Wrathchild and the ridiculously awesome title track. Are you kidding me with this talent?

Powerslave: It May piss some people off when I say this album is awesome but not at the top of my list.

Somewhere in Time: fucking brilliant. My favorite IM album.

Senjutsu: the ‘array tracks on disc 2 make Rush and Yes blush. Seriously, how are you this brilliant late in the game?

Killers
I´d pick Maiden´s sophomore over their debut. Offcourse it doesn´t have a masterpiece song like Phantom Of The Opera but with the title track and Murders In The Rue Morgue you have 2 songs that almost come as near. There’s also more variation on Killers: from Prodigal Son to Purgatory and anything inbetween.

Powerslave
For the Golden Years Era I didn´t pick TNOTB because it has some mediocre stuff you don´t find on Powerslave. Even Piece Of Mind was a big step forward in quality (yes, I like Quest For Fire and Sun And Steel alot! I take those two over Invaders and Gangland any day of the week) The sound of Powerslave is fantastic and is all killer. Even my least favourite song here (Back In The Village) is a terrific song.

Somewhere In Time
No big surprise here: Somewhere In Time is my alltime favourite Maiden album, a 100% perfect album for me. A blend of classic Maiden with future Maiden.

The X Factor
Maiden´s black pearl! The atmosphere is unique and has to be included in this list of 5. Minor complaint is the album is quite long but it is what it is.

Senjutsu
Maiden´s most recent album is the pinnacle of the reunion era. It´s the best of both worlds and has an amazing flow.

Iron Maiden
The origins of Maiden's sound.

Powerslave
An album from the Golden Years, showing the evolution of the band and their classic sound.

Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
The keyboards are important part of the band's sound (especially during the Reunion era), so this album is a must.

The X Factor
A unique album that introduced the structure and lengths of the songs during the Reunion era.

Senjutsu
I didn't add BNW or AMOLAD, because the aforementioned album is more varied and it's the pinnacle of the Reunion era.

The ''rock'' era of Maiden was only for 2 albums, so no FOTD in my list.

To me Maiden have 4 periods. Since the classic era was from 82-88 and for some 82-92, I would add two albums from that period
so:

• Iron Maiden : Steve has used the Opera riff for almost 40 years now and in most of his songs

• Powerslave; High energy Maiden at its' best

• Seventh Son: Best Maiden prog album

• Dance of Death Highest Energy new Era Maiden

• Senjutsu: Best Maiden album for over 28 years

Aight, I’ve pinned it down to six albums, four studio records and two lives.

Iron Maiden (1980)
The debut is very much a work of amateurs compared to where the band would go, but it’s a perfect representation of just how fiery the band already were. Everyone is blasting on all cylinders, with Paul providing a punky æsthetic while Steve already throws us some prog nods, especially in the seven minute “Phantom of the Opera”. The Maiden blueprint was immortalized here and would only continue to be Ironed out with time.

Powerslave (1984)
The culmination of the early Maiden sound of galloping basslines, blistering dual guitars, epic drum grooves, and, with Bruce on mic duties, soaring operatic vocals. It’s also the band’s most ambitious album up to that point. The seven minute song, for the first time, is not the epic of the album, because it’s overshadowed by the thirteen minute monster that closes things out. You get a sense of the band’s energy, and just how much they continually pushed themselves, bridging the gap between their early material and their longer stuff from later on.

Live After Death (1985)
Classic era live Maiden represented on record. You get several songs from the debut through Powerslave, including fiery renditions of POM and TNOTB songs which I find are pretty important in the band’s history and would be amiss not to mention here. It also showcases a bit of how Bruce’s performances could be a bit hit or miss, but it comes together because of how much energy everyone had and how fun it is to hear these songs in a new way.

Seventh Son of a Seventh Son (1988)
Ever since Somewhere in Time, synths have been a staple of Maiden’s records, and SSOASS is the record that most notably utilizes them. Besides that, it’s also a transitional record that shows the path the band was about to take. Some songs, like the title track, nod towards the Blaze era sound, with a lengthy runtime and never ending choruses, while a lot of the others nod in their simplicity towards the band’s next two albums and the attempted stripped-down approach they tried. Throw in the fact that this is the first record to feature Bruce’s rasp and you’ve got an album that can cover a solid chunk of the ‘90s right there.

Rock in Rio (2002)
Brave New World was really a late ‘90s Maiden record recorded with the classic era lineup (+Janick). A lot of the stuff you heard on Virtual XI carries over onto this album: longer runtimes (but nothing over ten minutes), repetitive choruses, melancholic and dark atmospheres, etc. But I think that Rock in Rio really represents this period even better than BNW does. Firstly, it’s the first live album from the reunion and instantly nails down the burst of energy the band has been given with Bruce and H back in the fold. It also showcases how much the band cares for the new material they’ve released, as six of its ten songs are played here. PLUS, two Blaze era songs are included for good measure. All-together you have a definitive reunion era album that set the standard for the album tours going forward and represents both where the band had been and where they were going to go next.

The Book of Souls (2015)
And finally, The Book of Souls. Both the vibe and the tour of this record hearkens back to the Powerslave era. Maybe not in speed, but certainly in ambition. The album plays with darkness but also doesn’t take itself too seriously and allows the band to have some fun. You get a mix of five minute rockers, seven minute semi-epics, and then three songs that get continuously longer. Throughout it all you get a perfect representation of modern Maiden, with epic instrumental sections, great choruses, and a vibe totally their own, with a fiery ambition still smoldering in their veins. For Chrissakes, it’s the first record to feature more than one song crossing the ten minute mark (three!!!), and Bruce wrote a fucking 18 minute piano ode to a blimp as the album’s finale. That’s so totally different from the Iron Maiden we’re used to and yet it fits right in nonetheless. The band still want to prove themselves, but on their own terms and in their own way. And with the release of Senjutsu last year, they’re still doing just that.

Reactions: Yax
While I am mentioning the Legacy of the Beast tour for the sake of discussion, I don't necessarily think that I'm spoiling songs from the set list at all. But I will stand corrected if someone would take exception to this.

It's known for a fact that the Legacy of the Beast is based on four concepts that are recurring in Iron Maiden's discography:

* War
Combat, conquest, vanquishment, fighting in general etc.

* Religion
Defined, specific religious references etc.

* Hell
Fire and flames, a place of punishment condemned to etc.

But at the end of the day, it's just four out of more than that. Some other concepts than those are:

* Humanity
Following the footsteps of those that became of us, trailing our own path, going astray? etc.

* Spirituality
Undefined religion - Where we come from, where we go, what the deeper meeaning to it is, who runs the show that we are acting in, etc.

* Voyages
Journeys into the unknown, journey for the sake of an adventure, journey for the sake of going from point A to point B

* Pop-cultural retelling
Own rendition(s) of stories already told by someone else, based on an already existing work such as cinema, literature, TV, etc.

* History retelling
Based on historical references rooted in reality

* Abstract storytelling
Not necessarily on historical references rooted in reality

I don't necesseraily believe that there is an album that represents every single one of this. Five albums below where at least half of these are represented individually, or just a potpurri of everything:

The Number of the Beast:
War:
Invaders
Gangland
Run to the Hills

Religion:
The Number of the Beast

Spirituality:
Hallowed Be Thy Name

Pop-cultural retelling:
Children of the Damned
The Prisoner

Abstract storytelling:
22 Acacia Avenue

Somewhere in Time:
Spirituality
Wasted Years

Voyages:
Sea of Madness
The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner
Stranger in a Strange Land

Religion:
Heaven Can Wait (I put this here because the Angel of Death is mentioned specifically here)

History retelling:
Alexander the Great

Abstract storytelling:
Caught Somewhere in Time
Deja-Vu

The X Factor:
War:
Fortunes of War
The Aftermath
Blood on the World's Hands

Religion:
Sign of the Cross

Humanity:
2 A.M.
The Unbeliever

Spirituality:
Look For the Truth
Judgement of Heaven

Pop-cultural retelling:
Man on the Edge
Lord of the Flies
The Edge of Darkness

Brave New World:
Humanity:
Blood Brothers
The Thin Line Between Love and Hate

Spirituality:
Dream of Mirrors

Voyages:
Ghost of the Navigator

Pop-culture retelling
The Wicker Man
Brave New World

Religion
The Fallen Angel

War:
The Mercenary
Out of the Silent Planet

Abstract Storytelling:
The Nomad

The Final Frontier
Voyages:
Satellite 15... The Final Frontier
Coming Home
The Talisman

Spirituality:
Starblind

Pop-cultural retelling
When the Wild Wind Blows

Abstract storytelling:
The Alchemist
Isle of Avalon
The Man Who Would Be King
El Dorado

War:
Mother of Mercy

Reactions: Eli
So, it's "silly Maiden thread" time, with a large chunk of serious consideration. I'm currently spinning a couple of tunes from AMOLAD, and this curveball came spinning into my head during the galloping section right before the outro to BTATS. Now, Maiden have made lots of albums and I get it, you can't cover all of that ground with just five albums, but we could at least try. The idea is to show the wide (or narrow, whatever you'd call it) palette of Maiden's discography with just five albums. It doesn't have to be x albums per era, or I suppose, not all eras represented either, but what five albums could collectively represent Maiden's entire body of work?

I would probably argue that the debut, Powerslave, SSOASS, X Factor and AMOLAD would represent the width of Maiden's efforts. AMOLAD for instance, stands with one leg in the BNW realm and the other leaning in towards the TBOS region of things and subsequently covers the reunion era enough in this game. The X factor is, well, more unique than any other Maiden album. The debut represents the roughness of the first four albums, which NPFTD and FoTD tried to recapture, while Powerslave shows the end result of said early roughness coupled with the increasing epic leanings which peaked with SSOASS.
Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son
Powerslave
Piece Of Mind
Brave New World
Number Of The Beast

I think they have better albums than some on this list, but these five give the most accurate impression of what Maiden is overall.

Back