What do you think is Maiden's most aggressive/energetic song?

True. Comparing Maiden's songs to stuff like Slayer or Morbid Angel, for instance, gives a certain perspective. Iron Maiden are not trying to be aggressive, but make good, inspiring songs. Yet, in the early 80s, they managed to shock people.

I'd go with Murders in the Rue Morgue, Purgatory, and definitely Be Quick or Be Dead for most aggressive. I think A Matter of Life and Death has Maiden's most aggressive material overall, especially from a melodic standpoint, i.e. Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, The Longest Day, and Lord of Light.

BQoBD is also a good candidate for most energetic. Otherwise: Aces High, Back in the Village, Deja-Vu, Futureal, Wicker Man, and Rainmaker.

True. Comparing Maiden's songs to stuff like Slayer or Morbid Angel, for instance, gives a certain perspective. Iron Maiden are not trying to be aggressive, but make good, inspiring songs. Yet, in the early 80s, they managed to shock people.
Everything is relative.
Well I mean, I'm not even comparing them to anyone else. With the exception of the first two albums, "aggressive" isn't a word I'd use to describe very much of their material.

From the title, to the sleeve and many songs (Killers, Drifter, Purgatory, Murders, Genghis Khan), I think Killers is their most agressive album. And at the time, it was really new, making Motörhead's Overkill sound like a rock'n roll record.

Other than the obvious choices, 'Public Enema No.1' struck me as particularly aggressive, both musically and lyrically, particularly the verses. The guitars just slash across the melody. My favourite tune from an average album.

Other than what has already been mentioned : Montsegur and Fallen Angel are both fairly heavy, if that fits with "aggressive" . Losfer Words is constantly on the go :rocker: and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner doesn't let up.

For me, it has to be When The Wild Wind Blows. Not so much for being aggressive or energetic, but for being the most intense. I live in New Orleans and survived through Hurricane Katrina. The first time I heard this song, I thought it was about Katrina until the very end of the song.
Very eerily, Katrina changed so many peoples lives and futures. This song really hit home with me. My dad lost his home because of the storm, he now lives with me, I went thru a divorce immediately after the storm. People react differently during intensely stressful situations and also are effected by the trauma of major life changes in different ways, and I thought the band captured that element of fear, panic, and dread masterfully on that track.

Other than what has already been mentioned : Montsegur and Fallen Angel are both fairly heavy, if that fits with "aggressive" . Losfer Words is constantly on the go :rocker: and The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner doesn't let up.

I reckon Montsegur and Fallen Angel fit right in with the songs on Powerslave.

Satellite 15 if I had to speak literally. It feels like very energetic doom metal experiment. I'd be interested in seeing more experiments like it.

Back