Welcome to the Buffyverse

Black Bart

Ancient Mariner
A thread to talk about all things related to Buffy The Vampire Slayer (the film, the series and the graphic novels), Angel, and the whereabouts of the actors involved in them and Joss Whedon, or Buffy studies (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_studies).

I am currently in the process of watching the series again (Season 4, as of now). In parallel, it happens that I've been reading Paul McCartney's biography by Phililp Norman, and I was wondering to what extent the character of Tara McClay had been inspired by Linda Eastman McCartney. Any thoughts?

Badass bonus:

Buffy studies (or Buffyology) is the study of Joss Whedon's popular television series Buffy the Vampire Slayer and, to a lesser extent, its spin-off program Angel. It explores issues related to gender and other philosophical issues as expressed through the content of these shows in the fictional Buffyverse.

Neda Ulaby of NPR describes Buffy as having a "special following among academics, some of whom have staked a claim in what they call 'Buffy Studies'".[1] Though not widely recognized as a distinct discipline, the term "Buffy studies" is commonly used amongst the academic Buffy-related writings.[2]
:blink:

Put this in the category of threads I never expected to see here!

Just finished rewatching the show for the who-knows-how-manyeth time. It’s always amazing, though I had particular trouble getting through the incredibly poor final season. Easily my favorite show (or shows) of all time.

Angel turned out to be a better show overall, in my opinion, due to the more adult nature and the shift in tone during their last season.

I haven't managed to make it through Angel yet. I tried right after binging Buffy for the first time and it never seemed to quite click with me, unfortunately. What's really interesting is watching the increasing acting talent and charisma that David Boreanz brings in his roles in Buffy, then Angel, and finally Bones. Usually actors don't get much better, but he really did evolve as an actor.

Season 4 of Buffy is my least favourite, followed by the final season. Really, it peaks at three and six.

I'm unfamiliar with any parallels between McCarthy and Tara. Perhaps you could explain some @Black Bart?

I haven't managed to make it through Angel yet. I tried right after binging Buffy for the first time and it never seemed to quite click with me, unfortunately. What's really interesting is watching the increasing acting talent and charisma that David Boreanz brings in his roles in Buffy, then Angel, and finally Bones. Usually actors don't get much better, but he really did evolve as an actor.

Season 4 of Buffy is my least favourite, followed by the final season. Really, it peaks at three and six.

David Boreanaz's career is honestly astounding to me based on his early Buffy episodes. He was straight up bad when that show started, which kinda makes sense considering he basically got the part while walking his dog down the street. By the time they gave him his own show, they started allowing him to infuse Angel with more of his actual personality (i.e. mostly humor and charm) instead of trying to force him to be sad, crying, and brooding all the time. Once the writers figured out that his personality came across really well onscreen he was set for life. He's like a Harrison Ford: not a great actor, but he's got that one thing he does that just works so well.

Every time I rewatch Buffy I like Season 4 more and more, mostly for the humor. It's got some of the strongest single episodes in the entire series (Hush, Restless, Something Blue, This Year's Girl/Who Are You, hell, even Superstar). I like that Season 4 saw the writers and actors really swinging for the rafters and just trying everything. It was the most consistently funny season of Buffy and the exact opposite of the later seasons (i.e. taking themselves too seriously, trying nothing, having characters literally just sit around and talk about the plot). I find more appreciation for it every time I rewatch the show.

Seasons 2-3 are the golden age and always be. Season 5 has the strongest dramatic stand alone episodes, though I find the overall villain arc a tad lame and I think the shift towards a serialized format hurt the show.

Put this in the category of threads I never expected to see here!

Just finished rewatching the show for the who-knows-how-manyeth time. It’s always amazing, though I had particular trouble getting through the incredibly poor final season. Easily my favorite show (or shows) of all time.

Angel turned out to be a better show overall, in my opinion, due to the more adult nature and the shift in tone during their last season.
I still haven't started watching Angel. Lucky me?

I'm unfamiliar with any parallels between McCarthy and Tara. Perhaps you could explain some @Black Bart?
It is just an assumption but it struck me as pretty plausible: both the real person and the fictional character were the nice, intelligent, left-field, calm figures who were unfairly unpopular (in the case of Tara, to the Scoobies first, not to the audiences apparently) because they replaced somebody popular (namely Oz and Jane Asher). Both died much too soon, not long after they had become accepted. Plus obviously, the "Mc" in the surname. I think Whedon has not expressed himself about it yet.

Last edited:
Casual watcher of both Buffy and Angel, but HUGE Bones fan. There was a Buffy episode, I think season 8, that was legitamately scary. Had to do with some ghouls that always had these creepy smiles...

Never seen the movie, is it worth it? Even as a cheesy throwback?

Casual watcher of both Buffy and Angel, but HUGE Bones fan. There was a Buffy episode, I think season 8, that was legitamately scary. Had to do with some ghouls that always had these creepy smiles...

Never seen the movie, is it worth it? Even as a cheesy throwback?

That’d the episode “Hush” from Season 4. It’s great!

The movie is only worth it if you like cheesy, early 90s camp. It has nothing to do with the show and is not very good.

That’d the episode “Hush” from Season 4. It’s great!
Probably the best individual episode of Buffy, really.

I think Whedon has not expressed himself about it yet.
I feel like there might be some stretching here, to be honest. I'm not sure that Tara had a story arc when she was created; her untimely death, while absolutely shocking, I don't know if it was originally intended.

I feel like there might be some stretching here, to be honest. I'm not sure that Tara had a story arc when she was created; her untimely death, while absolutely shocking, I don't know if it was originally intended.

It wasn't. Tara was invented before Seth Green decided to leave the show. Her entire characterization (or lack thereof for her first season) was made up after the fact.

The movie is only worth it if you like cheesy, early 90s camp. It has nothing to do with the show and is not very good.
Definitely not up to the standards of the series... but you get to hear an Ozzy Osbourne non-album track (from the times he still often released good songs) and a collaboration between Rob Halford and Pantera. ;)

1. "Keep It Comin' (Dance Till You Can't Dance No More)" C+C Music Factory featuring Deborah Cooper and Q-Unique 3:58
2. "Man Smart, Woman Smarter" Dream Warriors 4:31
3. "Silent City" Matthew Sweet 2:51
4. "We Close Our Eyes" (originally by Oingo Boingo) Susanna Hoffs 3:54
5. "Little Heaven" Toad the Wet Sprocket 4:27
6. "I Ain't Gonna Eat Out My Heart Anymore" diVINYLS 4:32
7. "Party with the Animals" Ozzy Osbourne 4:18
8. "Zap City" The Cult 5:14
9. "I Fought the Law" (originally by The Crickets) Mary's Danish 3:19
10. "Light Comes Out of Black" Rob Halford and Pantera 4:59

Check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buffy_the_Vampire_Slayer_(film)

Last edited:
Back