Vocals on 'Afraid To Shoot Strangers'

A

Anonymous

Who do you think sings afraid to shoot strangers better -
Bruce or Blaze?
Personally i would have to say Blaze

The topic was moved to the Commentary's forum, where songs are usually discussed (even if I find this poll a bit naff).

In my opinion, I think also that Blaze's voice is more suited to that song, though.

[img src=\'http://www.planetblaze.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blaze.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /][img src=\'http://www.planetblaze.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blaze.png\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /][img src=\'http://www.planetblaze.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/blaze.gif\' border=\'0\' alt=\'user posted image\' /]

Here it's what I've said about this song :

"I don’t like how Bruce sings the slow chorus : “Afraid to shoot strangers”, with over-produced backing vocals. I prefer the Blaze version, and I think he saves the song."

And it's still my opinion. [!--emo&-_---][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/sleep.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'sleep.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

So I voted for Blaze !

i think blaze "saves" the song, but he does do a better job than bruce. especially live. that's saying alot,considering i really don't care for blaze...

Bruce. It was the first version I heard and I loved it, so I guess Im a little biast. Dont get me wrong though, I do like Blaze's version, just not as much.

I prefer Bruce, but the reason the Blaze version rules so much is becasue you have the crowd into it so much, and it has such an amazing feel hearing the live version. If it was Bruce on the live version it would be just as amazing. Blaze has his moments, but Bruce is the f'n air raid siren!
xoxo
brenT

I got a slap in the face when I heard Blaze sing it. I listen to it much more since then.

My vote goes for Blaze (and it shows what Maiden could have done with the singer if, sometimes, they weren't too stubborn).

Cheers

I voted for Bruce.

Its not that I don't like Blaze version. I love Blaze ! But I do prefer
studio version of songs...

In the studio version this song deserves a smooth yet powerfull
and somewhat raspy voice, which surely leads us to Bruce.

But listening Bruce on Live at Donnington at this song is nothing but
pain. For live versions Blaze is, by far and away, the best.

Uh, I can't vote!

I have never heard the Blaze version of Afraid to shoot strangers. Blaze got some good reviews from you guys.

can someone make a link to that song with Blaze on vocals? Like to hear it!!!

Thanks!

Dutch Bruce

[a href=\'http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00009VTY4/qid=1127136179/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-0117886-1166571?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846\' target=\'_blank\']Here you go[/a].

I voted for Bruce even though I think this is one of the few songs that really fits Blaze's monotonus voice really well. (I'm not very fond of Blaze's singing at all...)
Live versions are better with Blaze so far, but I like the studio version better, so therefore Bruce. And I'm sure that if Bruce sang it now, it would sound much better than Blaze! [!--emo&:p--][img src=\'style_emoticons/[#EMO_DIR#]/tongue.gif\' border=\'0\' style=\'vertical-align:middle\' alt=\'tongue.gif\' /][!--endemo--]

i really dont care who sings since i (IMO) think they both sing it very well, so well that i cant choose.

Afraid to Shoot Strangers is a good song regardless of who sings it.

But I do prefer Blaze singing Afraid to Shoot Strangers rather than Bruce, especially in the beggining of the song. Blaze sounds really good when he sings it in a low key. However, Bruce's voice has improved a lot since 1992, so I think that he might be able to sing the song a little better. It would actually be pretty neat if Afraid to Shoot Strangers was added to the setlist.

Blaze gets my vote. His voice is more suited to the dark, slow, fairly low songs than Bruce's. Although, if the song comes back into the tours, maybe with Bruce's improved voice my opinion might change

Na. Go Blaze!

9.9 times out of 10 I prefer the studio songs. Not so with this one. Blaze gets my vote - Bruce does a great job too, but later in the song his voice is a bit too gruff for me. Still, both are good, I just prefer Blaze.

Back