Vocaloids, truly prefabricated pop stars.

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
I don't know how familiar you guys are with this, but it was news to me. For history and background check out this link:

Don't want to watch the video? Vocaloids are computer programs that sing, like an advanced auto-tune program initially aimed at professional musicians so they could listen to what their song might sound like once finished. However, leave it to the Japanese, some of these "programs" have become increadibly popular, so much so they have recorded albums, appeared on TV ads, video games and have had live concerts... yes... LIVE concerts. Here is one of the uber mega popular Hatsune Miku:

Here is what makes these programs interesting to me. Ever since the dawn of "buble gum pop" in the 50's with the Partridge Family, the Monkees and all the way up to the Backstreet Boys, One Direction and Justin Beiber today, it is a genre that has been criticized for being "prefabricated," "fake," etc. Studio writers, Label controlled content and image. Some of these "teen" stars eventually outgrow their contract and lash out (Christina Aguilera) others less talented continue on that path until they become irrelevant (Brittany Spears).

These Vocaloids however are prefabricated in the truest sense of the word... The ultimate pop star from fan and label point of view. What fight over creative control if ANYBODY can and does write for them? They never grow up, will never fight back and the public... at least in Japan, LOVES them. There are those who are revered, others loved and the rest... just like in any genre of music.

Oddly enough the English singing vocaloids are not as popular (read NOT AT ALL) as their Japanese counterparts, due to the fact that Japanese is more vowel oriented, thus, according to two of my Japanese speaking friends, making it easier to simulate. Because they sound better they are sought after even in Europe and the U.S. I had NEVER heard of this until having a nice chat with a coworker of mine, the classic Anime obsessed American.

Any thoughts as far as the music (some of it, I must admit, quite good), what it means to music and musicians and how familiar are you guys with this fad/subculture?

Back