Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

I remembered liking the radio edit of "Virus", but listening to it again, he's so out of key that the attempts to harmonize with himself on the "all in your mind" section just sound like interference patterns from bleating goats. And it's sad, because songs like "When Two Worlds Collide" and "The Educated Fool" are actually sort of decent when Blaze's mouth is shut, but then he opens it again and it's like he's projectile vomiting all over the master tape.

It is clear you do not like his voice (I do not particularly enjoy it with Maiden either) but that is a bit extreme, isn't it? :eek:

It is clear you do not like his voice (I do not particularly enjoy it with Maiden either) but that is a bit extreme, isn't it? :eek:
Listen again and imagine goats, then tell me if you think I'm still wrong.

:D
Fair enough. Personally, I can't unhear it.

Personally I think your an idiot. Everyone’s entitled to there opinion of course but your post sound more like a pure blaze bashing attack which was quite aggressive and rude. If you don’t like his voice fine, your choice, but to say things like he’s vomiting over the master tapes or sounds like a goat is just plain wrong.

Personally I think your an idiot.
Your grammar leaves me feeling pretty confident that you're wrong.
If you don’t like his voice fine, your choice, but to say things like he’s vomiting over the master tapes or sounds like a goat is just plain wrong.
It's how I honestly feel after re-listening with an open mind. On a handful of songs Blaze sounds pretty decent, but on most he sounds like they pulled a random person off the street and had him bang out a single take and put it straight on the album. On the softer, lower register sections he's horribly out of key and sounds like he's falling asleep; and on the louder, higher parts he can barely control his vibrato and tremolo, so their frequencies keep changing, and that's why it sounds like a chorus of bleating goats when he does his own backing vocals.

The "vomiting all over the master tape" comment might seem excessive, but that's the first image that came to mind after forcing myself to listen to Virtual XI all the way through again. The second one was "carpet bombing with verbal diarrhea", which I kept to myself. But really, by the time you get to the back half of that album, you're starting to hear pretty decent music that gets absolutely ruined as soon as the singing starts. And you have to wonder how many takes Blaze attempted before they finally gave up and decided that one of them would have to do.

Blaze is able to sound OK. "Blood On The World's Hands", "2 AM", "Futureal", etc. But on most of the songs his performance isn't just bad, it's incompetent. When cover bands start to sound better than the actual band, you know you have a problem. No wonder they made a change.

Come on boys, calm down and get to agree on Blaze's worst studio moment (fortunately, not a particularly well-known one) :D:
at 2'08!
It makes me think of Homer Simpson being frightened:

However, it doesn't mean that Blaze's input was totally devoid of great moments in my opinion (I can think of "The Edge of Darkness", "Fortunes of War", "Como Estais Amigos", the "Doctor Doctor" cover or "The Aftermath" for example).

The Internet forum.
Yes, of course. If you are in a general internet forum. Forums like this should be more professional with who they put in the moderator seat. People that google Iron Maiden Forum and come here most be so disappointed when they realize it's actually 10-15 North American friends running the whole thing.

Come on boys, calm down and get to agree on Blaze's worst studio moment (fortunately, not a particularly well-known one) :D:
at 2'08!
It makes me think of Homer Simpson being frightened:

However, it doesn't mean that Blaze's input was totally devoid of great moments in my opinion (I can think of "The Edge of Darkness", "Fortunes of War", "Como Estais Amigos", the "Doctor Doctor" cover or "The Aftermath" for example).
I remember back in 2006 I was so excited because before Youtube I could not get hold of it. Considering how much I like The X Factor, my disappointment with this song was instant...

People that google Iron Maiden Forum and come here most be so disappointed when they realize it's actually 10-15 North American friends running the whole thing.

Okay, now I'm confused. Out of the mods who are still active, most of them are from Europe. :huh:

http://www.metaltalk.net/columns/20100802.php

Chris Dale was in the same band as Doogie White:

"I don't know if you know but our singer, Doogie White was up for the Maiden job when Bruce left. He auditioned in this very room. Shit! He's played with Maiden in this very room. What songs did you do? I had to learn tons of them, he said. He laughed about how he messed up the beginning of Number of the Beast with them... in this very room! With Steve and Dave and Jannick and Nicko... in this very room!"

Back