Vocalists that were auditioned for Bruce Dickinson's replacement in 1993

Not bad but he sounded a bit flat on parts of the song. Would have been a bit like blaze was to be honest, good on the x-factor and VXI but would have struggled on the Bruce material live.

I on the other hand think Grimmett would have done better on the tour material/old songs etc....but Blaze was better fit for the new studio stuff they were cooking up!

Not bad but he sounded a bit flat on parts of the song. Would have been a bit like blaze was to be honest, good on the x-factor and VXI but would have struggled on the Bruce material live.
He is a bit flat on the chorus (deliberately I assume, that chorus is ridiculously high on the original and even if he could technically reach the notes I imagine a controlled delivery might be too much) but not in a major way. I sincerely doubt he would have had any trouble with Bruce era material based on that performance. Definitely not at all comparable to Blaze since his voice is naturally far lower and obviously we all know how that worked out live.

But then again, we wouldn't have "Man On the Edge", or "Futureal", or "Como Estais Amigos".
Then again, Blaze only wrote the lyrics. Listen to some White Spirit demos and you will find Man on the Edge there ;)

Doogie White would have been great, but with him being from Scotland I understand why that didnt happen.

It's funny that DT tried to go for a Maidenish sound with the To Tame a Land cover but kind of screwed it up. It sounds quieter, yet more crushed than any other song on the album (Dream Theater's Black Clouds and Silver Linings, not the Maiden tribute album), and LaBrie's vocals are muffled.

Back