Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
Re: Daily Song: Virus

LooseCannon said:
Virus has been traditionally considered an album track on this forum, being given special status by everyone from He Who Must Not Be Named to SMX.

Special status? Nah, I am going to be realistic (and consequent) here and won't count it as such.

Is it really that important?

Forostar said:
Special status? Nah, I am going to be realistic (and consequent) here and won't count it as such.

I'm not asking you to count it as part of an album, whereas it is not. I'm just saying that if you go back through the history of the various songs and stuff, Virus isn't a B-side; it's an A side without an album. So, yeah. I will, of course, ask you to vote on it.

I realize that in November 2007 we had this discussion before.

Just want to make clear how I look at it:
I believe a selection of a song should be based on neutral criteria (e.g.: either all album songs, either all songs, either other criteria as long as they are consistent, and based on the whole catalogue), as opposed to the voting, which is the personal matter.

But naturally everyone can do as he pleases of course. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry Per, that I am nerdy when it comes to this.  :D
But indeed, this is certainly not that important. It does not take an inch away from my full appreciation for all the work Loosey is doing, who patiently brings these songs to our attention.   :ok:

This song is a solid 8 for me and has always been one of my favorite Blaze era tracks.  I remember when Best of the Beast came out, I must have listened to this song 10-15 times a day for a month.  Drove my college roommates nuts.

I like it because it felt a bit more "Maiden" to me than most of The X Factor does.  And while the lyrics are scathing, the music sounds quite upbeat to me.  Great song, too bad it's relegated to a Best of.  Had it been on Virtual XI it would have easily been my favorite song on there.

The lyrics really are very good, powerful and as has been pointed out could now relate to different things. Very strong song, absolutely brilliant when that fast riff kicks in. 9/10

The short version (From the Virus - Part I single album) of this gets a 10 from me

The full version is 7/10.

I voted 10 anyway.

I'm with Farhang on this. I much prefer the Edit version that knocks off some of the repetitiveness the standard version has. 7/10

Also, its funny seeing Dave trying to act serious and angry in the music video when he is usually smiles to both ears always  :bigsmile:

10. Fucking classic! There's not much to say that wasn't, already. Perhaps Blaze's best performance ever. This song has so much intent that you can almost hold it. :edmetal:

SixesAlltheway said:
Also, its funny seeing Dave trying to act serious and angry in the music video when he is usually smiles to both ears always  :bigsmile:

He does that in this video as well, that's why I love that vid.

my favourite song of blazes by a good way... i love everything but the video that goes with the long intro
that just makes me very flaccid indeed  :p

Anything that would be said about this song has already been said, so I'll just say that Blaze's best performance gets a very high 9/10.

I love the fast and angry tempo and lyrics. They add up to the NEAR-perfect song

Only thing missing? An angry guitar solo  :shred:

Still it gets a 10/10 from me

9/10. Great song but I think the slow verses are a little too much. Should've been on Virtual

6 out of 10... This actually turns into a great tune after the waytoofuckinglong intro is dispensed with. Too bad it takes up one third of the song...

It is an atrocity that this song wasn't included on either of the Blaze era albums. It's better than several songs on The X Factor, and on Virtual XI there is only one song I like better (The Clansman). The lyrics are great, as is the intro with the switching between calm and heavy. The verse has a groove which I recognize in later songs (The Thin Line ..., The Man Who Would Be King), and the part between that verse and the "rats in the cellar" is among the best interludes in the entire 90's catalog.

A truly great song, 9/10.

This song was a spontaneous undertaking. It came out 11 months after The X-Factor, and 17 months before Virtual XI. Actually, it would be weird if it was on TXF: it wouldn't make sense with the song's context.

I guess I am one of the few people left on this forum, who followed Maiden very intensely in this era. Maybe that helps me understanding that it does not belong on either of those albums.

I do not mind it's not on a regular studio album. It makes this gem (and Best of the Beast!) even more special.

national acrobat said:
Very strong song, absolutely brilliant when that fast riff kicks in. 9/10

Not sure if you mean this riff, but from this particular moment (4:08 in this clip) the song goes to an otherworldly dimension.  :shred:

Forostar said:
Not sure if you mean this riff, but from this particular moment (4:08 in this clip) the song goes to an otherworldly dimension.  :shred:
I just meant the part at 2:20, but pretty much the whole song is on some high astral plane. :rocker:

Back