Votes: 4 4.9%

Votes: 2 2.5%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 17 21.0%

Votes: 18 22.2%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

Here, you can read other visitors' comments on 'Virus' as well as post your own. Any contribution to the commentary will be much appreciated, may it be cultural references relevant to the song (links to related websites, interpretations that may have been overlooked in the Commentary, and the like) or personal essays related to the topic of the song. Just be aware that messages that are either off-topic or too wacky may be deleted.

'virus'

Since it was the first time Maiden reconvene to write and record only one song, any outcome could have been possible.

And the result is a pleasant surprise. After listening to a set-mooding intro, the song explodes and you're there for a great ride, again showing the real abilities of Blaze.

Excellent tune. Above-level material !

4.5 stars.

Cheers

'virus'

To me, this is one of the most underrated songs in Iron Maidens discography, and one of my absolute favourites. In my ears, it was an instant classic, and I am a bit disappointed to see that it has never been played live by Iron Maiden. I also thought the version on Blazes As Live As It Gets was a bit too fast-paced in the soft portions of the song.

'virus'

I boldly gave this one the five.
Again, unlike Conor, I don't think the lyrics are cheesy. In fact, they are quite witty:
And every time you think you're safe and when you go to turn away
You know they're sharpening all their paper knives

In times when even punks have acquired corporate identity, these lyrics speak my mind. And I can relate to this couplet:
All in your mind, all in your head, try to relate it
All in your mind, all in your head, try to escape it

The song is moody and rocking in one. I love Blaze's urging performance. There are some superb shifts at work here - examples include the kick-in at 2:19 and the climactic part with choir vocals, starting at 4:08. This is also great because of the repetition of the powerful two lines

The rats in the cellar, you know who you are
Or do you?

just before the final repetiton of the intro. Excellent.

'virus'

By the way, this song reminds me a lot of a classic by Queen, Death On Two Legs from the A Night At The Opera album. It was written about a manager who cheated them out of a lot of royalities. Goes to show you that heavy emotions tend to produce the finest works:

You suck my blood like a leech
You break the law and you preach
Screw my brain till it hurts
You've taken all my money - and you want more

Misguided old mule
With your pigheaded rules
With your narrow-minded cronies who are fools
Of the first division

Death on two legs
You're tearing me apart
Death on two legs
You never had a heart of your own

Kill joy, bad guy
Big talking, small fry
You're just an old barrow-boy
Have you found a new toy to replace me
Can you face me

But now you can kiss my ass goodbye

Feel good, are you satisfied ?
Do you feel like suicide (I think you should)
Is your conscience all right
Does it plague you at night
Do you feel good - feel good

Talk like a big business tycoon
But you're just a hot-air balloon
So no one gives you a damn
You're just an overgrown school-boy
Let me tan your hide

A dog with disease
You're the king of the 'sleaze'
Put your money where your mouth is Mr. know all
Was the fin on your back part of the deal... shark!

Death on two legs
Tearing me apart
Death on two legs
You've never had a heart of your own
(You never did, right from the start)

Insane, you should be put inside
You're a sewer-rat decaying in a cesspool of pride
Should be made unemployed
Make yourself null-and-void
Make me feel good
I feel good

'virus'

The best B-side of all time.

I really got thinking about this song lately, this guy said something about me, and it brought back some pretty bad memories. But thats all the past now, hence the chorus:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]All in your mind, All in your head
Try to escape it[/quote]

The first verse has some real meaning to it:

[!--QuoteBegin--][div class=\'quotetop\']QUOTE[/div][div class=\'quotemain\'][!--QuoteEBegin--]When every good thing's laid to waste
By all the jelousy and hate
By all the acid wit and rapier lies[/quote]

I think that this is referring to what our world is coming to, slowly all the things that are good are starting to disappear; peace, health, cleanliness and alot of other things such as the environment.

'virus'

The part where the song kicks up the tempo kind of reminds me of the start of "Revelations" by Dragonforce. Does anybody else hear this similarity?

Re: 'Virus'

Is there anyone here familiar with Godspeed You! Black Emperor? The 'Slow Riot For New Zerø Kanada E.P.' features a song named Blaise Bailey Finnegan III, which I think refers to the name of a paranoid American being interviewed through the song. During this interview he is asked to recite a poem he claims to have written himself, but it is really just a direct transcription of the lyrics of Virus! Does anyone know anything more about this?

Edit:
Well, there may not be so much more to know about this. I think the link between two of my favourite bands got me carried away by curiosity, but it really isn't much more to it. Know you all know about it aswell, at least. Funfact!

Daily Song: Virus

Welcome to the Daily Vote Thread! Rules are here.

Remember, only a decent review will count towards the contest.

Today's song: Virus

Yesterday's song remains open for voting! You can find it here.

There's an evil virus threatening mankind….

Doesn't this song take on a more poignant thought now, when you look at the way media has altered the world's perception of reality in the 15 years since this song hit? I mean, I know that's not how it's was originally meant, but apply this song's lyrics to professional pundits (read: liars, backstabbers, two-faced elite) and it is just incredible. Dark. Moody. Brilliant, and possibly the song on which Blaze sounds best for Maiden. 9/10.

Re: Daily Song: Virus

A song of hurt feelings and biting anger, with some of the most inspired lyrics in the Maiden catalogue. An honest statement about how it feels when you are at the receiving end of envy, hatred and cynicism just because you stay true to yourself. The perfect way to say "fuck you" without profanity, and one of Maiden's very best songs. 10/10.

To quote a post I made a few months back:
Steve can get sketchy when he tries to get political in his songs, but not this time. He nailed this one in that special music-matches-the-lyrics way only Maiden can do. The intro shows the resignation and restrained anger of the protagonist, a man who is trying his best not to let the shitty state of the world get to him. The anger bubbles a couple times, pulls back, then explodes into musical bitterness and fury. After a magnificent musical passage, it calms slightly into a pointed (rats in the cellar) statement of clarity. Then the song returns to the muted frustration of those who understand their anger won't change a thing. Outstanding piece of music. Nine.

It's an amazing song. I'm only noticing the lyrics now that you mention it, they seem very bitter but well written. Everyone performs brilliantly, may be Blaze's best chorus in a Maiden song.
My only complaint is the length of the intro, although I don't agree with the single edit. I think that if it was exactly half as long, it would've been 9.
Damn shame it's not on Virtual. Damn shame. Would've been the third best song. Actually, you could put the 3 songs from TXF that didn't make the cut on there instead of a couple of other songs, would've been a pretty good album. But I digress.

I give it an 8.

I actually once fitted it as the second song. Doesn't give the album a better flow.

I hate that in these polls you can't really add anything that hasn't been said in first few posts. We've dissected all these songs before to the bone, so there's nothing new to say. Yes it's a brilliant social commentary, yes it's aimed towards the media that tried to bury metal in mid-90's, yes it's applicable to most of media today and how they're brainwashing people's minds, and yes, it rocks damn hard.

10/10.

8/10. I agree with Zare, it's already been said what needs to be said. However, I do find this song not as brilliant musically as it is lyrically - not enough to lower the score below an 8, mind.

Good song in great, angry mood. Fast rhythm. It should have been there instead of DLTTEOAS.

1. Futureal
2. The Angel And The Gambler (short, radio version)
3. Lightning Strikes Twice
4. The Clansman
5. When Two Worlds Collide
6. The Educated Fool
7. Virus
8. Como Estais Amigos

^
Imagine that masterpiece...

A strong 7.

Virus has been traditionally considered an album track on this forum, being given special status by everyone from Maverick to SMX.

Great, powerful song. One of my favorite Blaze era songs. 10/10

'Virus' is easily my favourite song from the Blaze era (10/10). There's an awesome version of it on the Blaze live album 'As Live As It Gets.

Back