Video from Eddies Bar

Welsh Phantom

Ancient Mariner
Hi all,

Here is a video from my trip to Eddies Bar last year (finally got my firewire sorted!).

It's a bit dark inside so I used nightvision after a bit, hence all the green. (Sorry, but Steve's personal photo album didn't come out on film. D'oh!)

Hope you enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh-AfZ_Neow

Cheers for looking. ;)

Hey Phantom, that's a cool video you got there! I hope I'll get to visit Eddie's Bar sometime :)

By the way, what is that accent you got there? It's nice

I reckon it's Welsh because of his nickname, but someone told me some time ago that a Welsh accent is something very unintelligible and Phantom's was not, so I figured it wouldn't be Welsh - but oh what the heck  ;)

pilau said:
I reckon it's Welsh because of his nickname, but someone told me some time ago that a Welsh accent is something very unintelligible and Phantom's was not, so I figured it wouldn't be Welsh - but oh what the heck  ;)

LOL!

Yes, it's Welsh. I am from South Wales (near Cardiff). The North Wales accent is perhaps more difficult to understand. We have a Welsh language also in addition to English, so maybe that's unintelligble? ;)

pilau said:

You gotta love the Welsh alphabet.

'dd' is one letter, and pronounced 'th', in addition to 'd'. Also 'ff' is one letter, aswell as single 'f '.
But my favourite has to be 'ch' (which comes after 'c'. eg. a b c ch d dd e f ff g.  The only way to describe how 'ch' is pronounced is to imagine the sound when you are clearing phlegm from your throat!)

There is no 'J' and no 'k' amongst others. ;)

Welsh Phantom said:
But my favourite has to be 'ch' (which comes after 'c'. eg. a b c ch d dd e f ff g.  The only way to describe how 'ch' is pronounced is to imagine the sound when you are clearing phlegm from your throat!)

Sounds like Arabic "qaf" (the letter in "Iraq", incidentally). Terrible sound, shouldn't be made by anyone.

Lol. How do you pronounce that, Phantom?

Languages are very interesting, exciting and important to me. I'd like to learn Finnish, Portugese, Italian, Spanish and Japanese (to start with :D)

pilau said:
I'd like to learn Finnish

Good luck with that, you're gonna need it. ;)  And I hope you like long words too, Finnish is full of them.  Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyysellänsäkäänköhän is the longest word in the language without using compound words. :D

Invader said:
Epäjärjestelmällisyydellistyttämättömyysellänsäkäänköhän

How long did that take to type? You probably copy paste that, whenever you use it on a computer. ;)

@pilau: the meaning is: "sod off"      :bigsmile:

Of course I typed it, I could never remember it.  Translated into English, it would take probably over 10 words, most of which are prepositions.  To be honest, I don't know what it exactly means or how to use it; the core word is "disorganized" (the first 16 or so letters) and the rest is pretty much gibberish.

If you include compound words, the longest Finnish word is "lentokonesuihkuturbiinimoottoriapumekaanikkoaliupseerioppilas" (yes, copypasted).  It's a bit easier to translate, it's a profession meaning something like "airplane jet engine assistant mechanic officer cadet" very roughly translated.  I believe it's officially been used once.  :bigsmile:

Ah, compound words rock. In German, it is possible to create virtually endless words using compounds. They are mostly used in official German, though, and the common language usually has a synonym. For instance, there is the word Fleischereifachverkäufer, which basically means butcher (although the direct translation would be professional butcher's shop salesperson). The reason for this is that various dialects have different words for this profession, so a general German word needed to be created. In Bavaria, you would say Metzger, while in Berlin, you say Fleischer.

The Guinness Book of World Records lists Donaudampfschiffahrtselektrizitätenhauptbetriebswerkbauunterbeamtengesellschaft as the longest German word, but there is actually no recorded use of the word. The longest word with actually recorded use is Rindfleischetikettierungsüberwachungsaufgabenübertragungsgesetz, which basically means "Beef labeling supervision duties delegation law", and is an actual law in the German state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern passed in 2000. The name is actually the official short form of Gesetz zur Übertragung der Aufgaben für die Überwachung der Rinderkennzeichnung und Rindfleischetikettierung. When the law was introduced in parliament, the delegates burst out in laughter.

It's the same in Swedish. The longest one is supposed to be "nordöstersjökustartilleriflygspaningssimulatoranläggningsmaterielunderhållsuppföljningssystemdiskussionsinläggsförberedelsearbeten" (I'm not even going to try to translate it). I believe there's actually recorded use of that word.

Back