USA Politics

Yes. This at least gives the Democrats a viable option to nearly guarantee a victory against Trump, if they're smart enough to take it. They probably aren't, but we'll have to see.

That said, if Phillips doesn't gain any traction in the primaries, he absolutely should not mount an independent bid for President. Splitting the vote on the left would put Trump in office again (probably from his Georgia prison cell).

You'd have to think Phillips's plan is to win New Hampshire, since Biden isn't going to run there, and try to use that to pressure Biden to drop out (a la LBJ in 1968). My guess: Biden wins New Hampshire by at least 50 points over Phillips via write-in and the entire Democratic Party consolidates behind the current president.

My guess: Biden wins New Hampshire by at least 50 points over Phillips via write-in and the entire Democratic Party consolidates behind the current president.
The party machinery will absolutely support Biden 100%. The question is how much sway the party machinery will have over the primary voters of New Hampshire, who the Democratic Party very publicly snubbed by moving up the South Carolina primary. I don't think you'll see a blowout at the level you're describing, and Phillips could very well win there. Also remember that in New Hampshire anyone can change their party affiliation and vote in the primary of their choice, so motivated anti-Trump Republicans could vote for him, as well as any independents who don't want a 2020 rematch.

Look to Obama vs. Clinton in 2008 as the template here. The racial politics are different, of course, but Phillips could benefit in multiple ways from the South Carolina primary being moved up. If he manages to take New Hampshire and Iowa (he missed the Nevada filing deadline), who knows what could happen on Super Tuesday. Biden would have already picked up expected wins in major black population states before that, so he couldn't use them for a momentum recharge like he did in 2020.

Outside of the truly hardcore party faithful, there isn't much enthusiasm for Biden. He seems doddering and shaky much of the time, and a supermajority of Democratic voters think he's too old and wish they had another option. The party types are stuck in superstitious historical patterns, thinking "he beat him last time, he can beat him again", "always bet on the incumbency advantage", and "incumbents who get primaried often wind up losing", so they're gritting their teeth and crossing their fingers, hoping Biden can eke out one more victory against Trump. But pretty much no voter on either side wants a Biden vs. Trump rematch in 2024, and polls have suggested that a generic moderate Democrat would get about 55% of the vote vs. Trump.

If Phillips managed to secure a debate against Biden it would put the choice in stark relief, so you can bet the Biden folks will avoid that scenario like the plague. But if it looks like Biden is running away from a legitimate challenger, and Phillips doesn't make any major mistakes and gets his name out there, primary voters could very well end up voting their conscience instead of the party line. It's a long shot for sure, but a guy can hope.

Honestly, I wasn't really familiar with Dean Phillips, so I looked him up and read up on his policies and campaign.

I'm sorry but this man won't win the presidency, let alone becoming the front runner, in a million years. No charisma, no name recognition (which whether we like it or not is quite important), no interesting policies or positions, no successful political achievements to point to. He's DOA, I absolutely guarantee it. Leftists won't vote for him, neither would Conservatives. He'd have to bet on Liberals and Moderates, which is far too risky and simply not enough.

Furthermore, the incubency advantage is real and it would be idiotic to waste it. Biden is old and the US deserves a more progressive candidate, but this ain't happening in 2024; it's something that should be done in 2028. Biden and his administration aren't perfect, but they've done much better than I thought.

Last edited:
No charisma
And Biden does? He's got the "kindly, bumbling old grandpa" thing going, but that's only a half step away from his creepy serial sniffing of little girls' hair.

no name recognition (which whether we like it or not is quite important)
I guess you don't ever walk through the liquor aisle in your local store...?

no interesting policies or positions
Most voters aren't policy wonks, and if given the option they vote for someone who seems reasonable and sounds like they make sense, and have some focus on the issues most affecting them. If they're not given that option, then they vote for the person they hate the least.

People are getting their backs broken by high prices on staple consumables and high interest rates on their credit cards and mortgages. Phillips is focusing on that, Biden isn't.

no successful political achievements to point to.
In 2018 he beat a Republican incumbent for a congressional seat that had been red since 1961. In 2020 he was reelected with about 55% of the vote. In 2022 he was reelected with about 60% of the vote. A lot of moderate voters who lean Republican do in fact like him and would be willing to vote for him, which is critical in a general election.

He's DOA, I absolutely guarantee it. Leftists won't vote for him, neither would Conservatives. He'd have to bet on Liberals and Moderates, which is far too risky and simply not enough.
Liberals and moderates make up 62% of the general electorate and 68% of independents.

If you're talking about primary voters, any conservative Democrats who are left over would likely prefer Phillips to Biden. If you're talking about general election voters, Phillips would get almost every Biden voter except the extreme left, plus likely a larger number of moderate independents and never-Trumpers. But we'll have to see what the polls tell us after Phillips gets out there more.

Furthermore, the incubency advantage is real and it would be idiotic to waste it.
Yes, but it would also be idiotic to overweigh it. Even with the incumbency advantage Biden is losing by a significant margin vs. Trump in recent polling and over two thirds of self-identified Democratic voters want someone other than Biden to be the nominee. Ignoring those facts would be foolish. Jimmy Carter lost to Ronald Reagan despite incumbency advantage, and he also had major inflation problems on his watch.

Biden is old and the US deserves a more progressive candidate, but this ain't happening in 2024; it's something that should be done in 2028. Biden and his administration aren't perfect, but they've done much better than I thought.
Progressives often assume the appeal of their ideology is broader than it actually is, because they tend to self-select progressives for friends. The country as a whole is still digesting gay marriage, and frankly isn't ready for the wave of trans issues being aggressively pushed by the far left. Push too hard and focus on the wrong things and you'll get a second Trump administration.

I don't think he has a snowball's chance in hell Mississippi of making a dent, but you never know. Politics can be weird. Feels like this is more of an attempt to raise his profile for a 2026 Senate run, or perhaps governor. Or maybe even 2028.

and frankly isn't ready for the wave of trans issues being aggressively pushed by the far left.
The far right is aggressively working to pass anti-trans legislation and make trans people the face of evil in this country. Any wave of trans issues being aggressively pushed by the far left is being done so to attempt to protect a minority before they are torn apart by these lawmakers.

I'm so tired of the culture war far-right movements all over the world are waging and it's amazing how many are falling for the diversion. It's so bloody hollow; any move the MAGA movement makes get imitated in Europe. It's so tiresome.

The far right is aggressively working to pass anti-trans legislation and make trans people the face of evil in this country. Any wave of trans issues being aggressively pushed by the far left is being done so to attempt to protect a minority before they are torn apart by these lawmakers.
I think you have the order reversed on this. The moment gay marriage was legalized in 2015 the far left immediately started pushing hard on trans issues. There was a wave of trans-focused TV programming, people started pushing for trans women to be able to compete in women’s sports, bathroom selection suddenly became a big thing, and the far left started trying to cancel feminists who objected to having biological males co-opt their movement for themselves. Then we started getting into the thorny issues of children selecting a gender identity, and what role public schools were playing in that space re: sports, bathrooms, and parental notification. And that got into whether tax dollars should be paying for gender reassignment surgery for people in the military.

It was the hard left’s push that shoved these issues into the face of middle America, many of whom were still bewildered by the legalization of gay marriage, and had never encountered an openly trans person in their entire lives. To them, this stuff sounded batshit crazy because they had no point of reference for it and it ran counter to everything they were taught growing up. Add a little Fox News kerosene to that fire, and a side dish of CRT in elementary school with kids coming home telling their parents that they’d had to stand in the corner with the other white oppressor kids, and it’s not hard to see how these people would start freaking the fuck out and pushing back at the ballot box and in school board meetings.

The left pushed too hard, too fast, and the electorate vomited up Donald Trump in response. But because the left refuses to ever learn their lesson, and insists on dying on the hill for whatever their pet issue of the day may be without first reading the room, that push hasn’t slowed down. And I’m sorry, I have sympathy for trans people, and have one who is a close family member, but it’s not worth risking putting a criminal fascist back in charge of the country just to keep ringing the bell extra loudly for these issues right now. If the machinery of our democracy fundamentally breaks at the hands of a wannabe dictator, it won’t matter what bathroom you have to piss in.

Am I wrong in believing the GoP would have invented whatever diversion they’d needed? Make and keep people angry and you’ve got yourself an enthusiastic base. The MAGA are rather diverse in their hate and can drum up a tune out of thin air; and those tunes carry everywhere.

I'm sorry @Jer, but you are blinded by your biases. Biden isn't perfect, but he's actually more popular than you claim. As dumb as they are, memes like the whole Dark Brandon thing actually help him. Furthermore I can't help but notice that you use some of the phrases used by the alt right to discredit him ("his creepy serial sniffing of little girls' hair"). Tempts one to outright ignore whatever else you say because it comes across as kinda disingenuous. Just sayin'.

We obviously can't tell the future, but I'm absolutely convinced that Biden will be the candidate (would be idiotic to run someone else) and he'll hopefully win. Anyone else would be decimated, especially Dean Phillips. I pointed out that he has no policies or positions, you countered that that's not as important to most voters. That's fair, but then you have to offer something else and this dude has quite literally nothing. He isn't really a household name, he isn't particular popular or charismatic and going "bUt BiDeN iS?" isn't a counter and doesn't change that Phillips is milquetoast and boring. Especially your claim that he'll "nearly guarantee a victory against Trump" is absolutely outlandish and I have no idea how you ever got that idea. And your quote about the percentages of liberals and moderates shows that he would have to win most of them to guarantee a win. What does he bring to the table that other Democrats don't? The only advantage over Biden is that Phillips is younger. That's it.

I mean, we can make a bet on how he'll fare and if you win I'll use an avatar of your choice and put whatever you want in my signature. :D

Also, as far as culture wars go let's make something very clear. They are pushed almost exclusively by the right wing. Trans people simply want to live their lives in peace. It's the conservative shitheels that keep dragging trans folk into every single conversation, try to take away their rights and constantly attack them. The "far left" isn't pushing anything. There's something so frustrating especially felt with American politics, where people are advocating for genuinely and objectively good ideas and policies that would benefit every citizen and yet there are always people will do their worst to not let something like that pass under any circumstance. Guess some people would rather live miserable lives as long as they get to "own the libs".

Am I wrong in believing the GoP would have invented whatever diversion they’d needed? Make and keep people angry and you’ve got yourself an enthusiastic base. The MAGA are rather diverse in their hate and can drum up a tune out of thin air; and those tunes carry everywhere.
This is absolutely correct. Conservatism as an ideology is purely emotional and essentially requires fear and hate to have something to attack and rally the voters around.

Edit:
and a side dish of CRT in elementary school
Please tell me you don't actually believe this. If so you've fallen for far right propaganda that has no basis in reality.

I think you have the order reversed on this. The moment gay marriage was legalized in 2015 the far left immediately started pushing hard on trans issues. There was a wave of trans-focused TV programming, people started pushing for trans women to be able to compete in women’s sports, bathroom selection suddenly became a big thing, and the far left started trying to cancel feminists who objected to having biological males co-opt their movement for themselves. Then we started getting into the thorny issues of children selecting a gender identity, and what role public schools were playing in that space re: sports, bathrooms, and parental notification. And that got into whether tax dollars should be paying for gender reassignment surgery for people in the military.

It was the hard left’s push that shoved these issues into the face of middle America, many of whom were still bewildered by the legalization of gay marriage, and had never encountered an openly trans person in their entire lives. To them, this stuff sounded batshit crazy because they had no point of reference for it and it ran counter to everything they were taught growing up. Add a little Fox News kerosene to that fire, and a side dish of CRT in elementary school with kids coming home telling their parents that they’d had to stand in the corner with the other white oppressor kids, and it’s not hard to see how these people would start freaking the fuck out and pushing back at the ballot box and in school board meetings.

The left pushed too hard, too fast, and the electorate vomited up Donald Trump in response. But because the left refuses to ever learn their lesson, and insists on dying on the hill for whatever their pet issue of the day may be without first reading the room, that push hasn’t slowed down. And I’m sorry, I have sympathy for trans people, and have one who is a close family member, but it’s not worth risking putting a criminal fascist back in charge of the country just to keep ringing the bell extra loudly for these issues right now. If the machinery of our democracy fundamentally breaks at the hands of a wannabe dictator, it won’t matter what bathroom you have to piss in.

Whenever I read the words “hard left” written by an American to describe political behaviours that, at best, would be labelled as centre-left in Europe, I cannot help but chuckle.

Am I wrong in believing the GoP would have invented whatever diversion they’d needed? Make and keep people angry and you’ve got yourself an enthusiastic base.
No, you’re not wrong. But “they took our jobs” motivates fewer people than “boys who consider themselves to be girls want to undress in the girls’ locker room next to your daughters and be members of their swim team”.

I'm sorry @Jer, but you are blinded by your biases.
What are my biases, exactly, and how would you know me well enough to psychoanalyze me?

Biden isn't perfect, but he's actually more popular than you claim.
Evidence?

As dumb as they are, memes like the whole Dark Brandon thing actually help him.
Evidence?

Furthermore I can't help but notice that you use some of the phrases used by the alt right to discredit him ("his creepy serial sniffing of little girls' hair"). Tempts one to outright ignore whatever else you say because it comes across as kinda disingenuous. Just sayin'.
OK, first of all, this is a very weird “guilt by association” charge, and I’m not sure what you’re even trying to say here. Are you trying to imply that I’m an alt-right troll, or are you just “othering” me because I’m not parroting progressive dogma?

I’m a liberal, but I’m not on board with the anti-intellectual, anti-free-speech left wing that’s currently in vogue.

Biden is on camera sniffing and kissing one little girl after another. This is well-established behavior of his. Is it innocent? Probably. Is it creepy? Absolutely. The fact that you try to label me rather than addressing the facts at hand speaks volumes about your “argument” here. Just sayin’.

Anyone [other than Biden] would be decimated, especially Dean Phillips.
Evidence? How about if we wait for the polling first.

he isn't particular popular or charismatic and going "bUt BiDeN iS?" isn't a counter and doesn't change that Phillips is milquetoast and boring.
Nice quoting method there. Seems dangerously close to mocking the mentally challenged, which is a cancelable offense if I remember correctly.

Again you avoid the substance, dodging Biden’s own lack of charisma and pretending you’ve made an argument. My argument is that Phillips doesn’t have a charisma deficit compared to Biden, Phillips doesn’t have the issue of looking old and confused at almost every turn like Biden, and he has a proven record of winning elections among a majority-conservative-leaning electorate by progressively increasing margins, which Biden doesn’t have.

Especially your claim that he'll "nearly guarantee a victory against Trump" is absolutely outlandish and I have no idea how you ever got that idea.
I’d read about polling a few weeks ago showing a generic Democrat beating Trump by a significant margin while Biden lost the same match-up. I wasn’t able to find a link quickly, but I’ll keep looking.

And your quote about the percentages of liberals and moderates shows that he would have to win most of them to guarantee a win.
Just as Trump would have to claim most of the moderates in the right states to win, which he was able to do once before. If the Democrat is more appealing to moderates than Trump, then they have an electoral advantage.

What does he bring to the table that other Democrats don't? The only advantage over Biden is that Phillips is younger. That's it.
He doesn’t look confused or sound like a doddering fool. He’s a successful businessman, which neutralizes any argument Trump could try to make about applying supposed business acumen to improve the economy. He doesn’t carry Biden’s inflation baggage. He’s not a wokester (neither is Biden, but public perception on the right is that he is, and doing things like saying you’ll only consider black female candidates for your Supreme Court nomination doesn’t do anything to dissuade people from thinking that). He has a record of consistently running and winning in a right-leaning electorate.

Marianne Williamson sounds like a flake. RFK Jr. is damaged goods due to his anti-vax views, and he already bailed on the party to run as an independent. Cenk Uygur would have to win a court battle to even qualify for eligibility because he’s not a natural-born citizen. No one else has declared.

I mean, we can make a bet on how he'll fare and if you win I'll use an avatar of your choice and put whatever you want in my signature. :D
I won’t bet on whether Phillips will beat Biden, because as I’ve already said, it’s a long shot due to calcified thinking within the party apparatus. But if Phillips somehow gets the nomination, I’ll happily bet you that he’ll beat Trump.

Also, as far as culture wars go let's make something very clear. They are pushed almost exclusively by the right wing.
I would argue that they are always escalated by the right wing, but the left does their fair share of provocation. The right wing didn’t make up “defund the police”. They didn’t make up public schools separating children by race and labeling the white kids as “oppressors” just to make a stilted point about race relations. They didn’t make up the violent rioting that’s accompanied a number of BLM protests, especially in Minneapolis where a number of long-standing local businesses were burned to the ground. They didn’t make up progressive prosecutors refusing to charge petty theft crimes, leading to people just walking into stores with trash bags and emptying the shelves with no fear of prosecution. Those are all things the left did on their own, and the right just seized on them and ginned them up some more.

There's something so frustrating especially felt with American politics, where people are advocating for genuinely and objectively good ideas and policies that would benefit every citizen and yet there are always people will do their worst to not let something like that pass under any circumstance.
Except true believers often convince themselves that their views are “objectively” good, whether that’s actually the case or not. The only way to get to objective truth is to take off the team jerseys, drop the posing, take a hard, critical look at the facts and reasoning, and be willing to publicly admit when your own people are wrong.

Last edited:
Edit:

Please tell me you don't actually believe this. If so you've fallen for far right propaganda that has no basis in reality.
There are plenty of first-hand testimonies out there from parents, as well as institutional videos showing how to do some of these exercises, for example:

And plenty of organizations sell school curricula for all K-12 ranges for “anti-bias” training, including the Anti-Defamation League.

Yes, “CRT” is inaccurate shorthand for what’s actually hyperaggressive DEI/anti-racism curriculum, but it’s the shorthand people are using, and it’s not too far off the mark. This technicality is what allows educators to claim they aren’t teaching CRT when they’re still injecting hyper-awareness of racial differences and a presumption of pervasive racism in all institutions into their classroom.

Do many existing power structures produce (mostly) unintentionally racist outcomes? Yes. Should we explore the data around this, look at things critically, and see how we can improve it? Yes. Should we start children down that path in elementary and middle school with hamfisted generalizations based on race, implying that people should in fact be judged to some extent on the color of their skin, and not the content of their character? I would argue an emphatic “no”, as that is literally the opposite of Dr. King’s dream.

Alright, let's play your little game I suppose. I'll put in the energy and effort one time though it is becoming increasingly clear that it's just going to be an enormous waste of time, but there are so many fallacies, falsehoods and even lies in here that I can't just let them stand like that. Let's start at the top again and do it your way:

This at least gives the Democrats a viable option to nearly guarantee a victory against Trump, if they're smart enough to take it.
Evidence? You demand evidence for every little thing, stuff you could easily google, so I'll return the favor. This is an outrageous claim so you better have the evidence to support it.

And Biden does? He's got the "kindly, bumbling old grandpa" thing going, but that's only a half step away from his creepy serial sniffing of little girls' hair.
It's a subjective assessment, but yes, Biden is a million times more charismatic than Phillips. Need not evidence for that, since it is an opinion ;)

I guess you don't ever walk through the liquor aisle in your local store...?
His adoptive father is a household name; Dean isn't.

Most voters aren't policy wonks, and if given the option they vote for someone who seems reasonable and sounds like they make sense, and have some focus on the issues most affecting them. If they're not given that option, then they vote for the person they hate the least.
While this is mostly true Phillips' only argument is that he's younger. Hell, he keeps praising Biden but simply says that Biden is too old (which is true, but that doesn't make Phillips a good choice). He brings nothing else to the table.

People are getting their backs broken by high prices on staple consumables and high interest rates on their credit cards and mortgages. Phillips is focusing on that, Biden isn't.
Objectively incorrect. Bidenomics is a dumb term, but Biden has done a lot to improve the economy, but he doesn't get any of the recognition for it.

In 2018 he beat a Republican incumbent for a congressional seat that had been red since 1961. In 2020 he was reelected with about 55% of the vote. In 2022 he was reelected with about 60% of the vote. A lot of moderate voters who lean Republican do in fact like him and would be willing to vote for him, which is critical in a general election.
That's nice and all, but worthless to the discussion about if he's effective or not. He is part of the House Problem Solvers Caucus who funnily enough haven't solved any problems. He hasn't passed any meaningful legislation, despite the fact that he is more moderate and tries to work with Republicans. Biden on the other hand has had quite the effective first term, considering that he had to deal with the Trump admin's problems as well as the pandemic. He also got the most votes ever, so if we care about voting numbers those are important and valid as well. Can't pick and choose whatever suits you best.

Also, while we're at it: Phillips has voted 100% in line with Biden. The only thing Phillips brings to the table is being younger. We'll see if that makes him in any way popular, but I severely doubt it.

If you're talking about primary voters, any conservative Democrats who are left over would likely prefer Phillips to Biden.
Evidence?

If you're talking about general election voters, Phillips would get almost every Biden voter except the extreme left, plus likely a larger number of moderate independents and never-Trumpers.
Evidence?

But we'll have to see what the polls tell us after Phillips gets out there more.
Right.

Yes, but it would also be idiotic to overweigh it. Even with the incumbency advantage Biden is losing by a significant margin vs. Trump in recent polling and over two thirds of self-identified Democratic voters want someone other than Biden to be the nominee. Ignoring those facts would be foolish. Jimmy Carter lost to Ronald Reagan despite incumbency advantage, and he also had major inflation problems on his watch.
Out of the most recent polls Biden is winning 4 out of 14, losing 6 and the rest are considered even match-ups. Except the UMass poll, none of them are "by a significant margin" and the UMass is by a significant margin in favor of Biden.

Progressives often assume the appeal of their ideology is broader than it actually is, because they tend to self-select progressives for friends. The country as a whole is still digesting gay marriage, and frankly isn't ready for the wave of trans issues being aggressively pushed by the far left. Push too hard and focus on the wrong things and you'll get a second Trump administration.
Conservatism is inherently unpopular as an ideology. They are a loud and obnoxious minority, but they aren't actually gaining numbers. The only way conservatives can win is by banking on voter apathy, as well as gerrymandering and tactics that take away voting rights from citizens. Most progressive policies are widely popular if they are presented to people without saying that they are by progressives.

Medicare for All is supported by 70% of Americans.
90% of all Americans (including 91% of Republican voters) want to slash drug prices.
Two-thirds of all Americans favor expanding Social Security – not just maintaining it, but expanding it. Republicans favor the concept by a 2-1 margin.
A strong majority of Americans favor doubling the minimum wage to a living wage of $15 an hour. Seven out of 10 Republican voters favor raising the minimum wage.
75% of Americans are in favor of higher taxes for the wealthiest and large corporations. Sixty percent of Americans favor a wealth tax on those with more than $50 million in assets.

And before you ask for evidence, you can google stuff yourself as well. I'm already spending enough time to answer everything in detail; I don't have enough time to provide a source for every single little thing as well.
The second bolded part I'll focus on further down.

What are my biases, exactly, and how would you know me well enough to psychoanalyze me?
You have an extremely obvious anti-Biden bias and one doesn't need to know you or to "psychoanalyze" you. Give us a basic amount of respect and be honest, your comments are clearly visible here and show that you are anti-Biden.

Evidence?
Note: I didn't claim that he was immensely popular. Just that he's more popular than you seem to think or claim.
We can see his approval rating here. Considering how divided America is nowadays and that Democrats won't approve of Republican presidents and vice versa, and his numbers aren't as bad as previously thought.

Evidence?
That's not a subject that can be answered by polls or studies because it's not something that is being asked. Merchandise sales for a campaign obviously don't translate to actual success but we can at the very least see that the Biden campaign has embraced the meme and has had financial success.

OK, first of all, this is a very weird “guilt by association” charge, and I’m not sure what you’re even trying to say here. Are you trying to imply that I’m an alt-right troll, or are you just “othering” me because I’m not parroting progressive dogma?

I’m a liberal, but I’m not on board with the anti-intellectual, anti-free-speech left wing that’s currently in vogue.
Quit your persecution complex. I'm not saying any of those things. I'm simply stating the observable fact that you keep using phrases that are pushed by the alt and far right. That doesn't mean that you align with them. Maybe their propaganda and smear campaigns worked and convinced you? Only you could answer that, but I'll go into detail further down to explain what I mean with right wing propaganda and how you keep repeating it. I'm simply calling out what you are publicly posting, so no need for fake outrage.

Also, it's adorable to try to claim the left wing is anti-intellectual. I'd ask for evidence, but I know that we fundamentally disagree on some concepts so there's no point. Anti-free-speech is also quite the dishonest framing. There's no reason for absolute free speech in the sense that hate speech has no justification whatsoever. And before you start with the slippery slopes: Hate speech is not vague; it's easily defined and countries like Germany that have hate speech laws have a higher freedom index than the US. Free speech absolutism is naive at best and dangerous at worst because it emboldens bigotry.

Biden is on camera sniffing and kissing one little girl after another. This is well-established behavior of his. Is it innocent? Probably. Is it creepy? Absolutely. The fact that you try to label me rather than addressing the facts at hand speaks volumes about your “argument” here. Just sayin’.
So far you have barely provided any facts so there isn't much to address. What's your evidence for this "well-established behavior"?
Because so far you that's no fact. In fact, we can see that one of the most recent examples was edited and a fabrication. Almost as if there aren't even any allegations against him by little girls or their families. Almost as if that's just one of the more common talking points of the far right, without any evidence except edited videos and out of context pictures. So much for "facts", but moving on.

Evidence? How about if we wait for the polling first.
That's my personal opinion, so there is no evidence. But yes, let's wait for the polls.

Nice quoting method there. Seems dangerously close to mocking the mentally challenged, which is a cancelable offense if I remember correctly.
Nah, you're simply not familiar with that typing being commonly used online to indicate heavy sarcasm. Has nothing to do with mentally challenged folks, it was born out of Spongebob meme of all things lol. Also, "cancel culture" isn't a thing. It's the consequence of one's actions catching up to them. Take a look at all the people who have claimed to have been cancelled, yet they are just as loud and present as before. And if we're talking about regular people losing their jobs for questionable behavior: This has always been a thing and it is common sense that if you don't want to lose your job maybe don't post stuff on social media that would get you in trouble with your work place. Right wingers want to be victims so badly that they keep harping about cancel culture to continue their grift.

Again you avoid the substance, dodging Biden’s own lack of charisma and pretending you’ve made an argument. My argument is that Phillips doesn’t have a charisma deficit compared to Biden, Phillips doesn’t have the issue of looking old and confused at almost every turn like Biden, and he has a proven record of winning elections among a majority-conservative-leaning electorate by progressively increasing margins, which Biden doesn’t have.
You claim that Biden has a lack of charisma. I disagree with that. There's no "substance" to avoid. As for the bolded part, like previously mentioned: Biden has the track record of beating Trump and gaining the most amount of votes in the history of the US. That's another example of your anti-Biden bias, where you cherry-pick your examples. And like I said before, Biden has passed bills, Phillips hasn't. Simply having a seat doesn't mean that someone is effective. Or are we going to say next that Jim Jordan is an effective politician?

Just as Trump would have to claim most of the moderates in the right states to win, which he was able to do once before. If the Democrat is more appealing to moderates than Trump, then they have an electoral advantage.
Like we saw before Biden's numbers aren't as bad as you claimed. Furthermore, polls the last few years have been rather unreliable, so I wouldn't take them as gospel. And let's not forget that Trump has never won the popular vote and could only become President due to the Electoral College.

He doesn’t look confused or sound like a doddering fool.
While Biden has had an obvious decline, given his age, I disagree that he sounds like a "doddering fool". The man has had a stutter for his whole life. He isn't an orator like Obama, but compared to Trump (who is likely going to be his opponent) he is perfectly coherent and clear. Just because of flubs here and there doesn't mean he is a "doddering fool".

He’s a successful businessman, which neutralizes any argument Trump could try to make about applying supposed business acumen to improve the economy.
In that sense yes. On the other hand one could easily weaponize it against him by pointing out that Phillips is one of the wealthiest (or even the wealthiest? Haven't kept up to date) House representatives, yet hasn't passed any legislation. You know how people feel about "career politicians", whether he actually is one or not, right?

He doesn’t carry Biden’s inflation baggage.
That's true, but also a disingenuous framing, considering that historically Dems have been better for the economy and have to repair the damage done by the GOP. Inflation has sunk thanks to Biden. We can only imagine how bad things would've gotten if Trump had won the presidency.

He has a record of consistently running and winning in a right-leaning electorate.
Which doesn't inherently mean that he can apply that nation wide.

Marianne Williamson sounds like a flake. RFK Jr. is damaged goods due to his anti-vax views, and he already bailed on the party to run as an independent. Cenk Uygur would have to win a court battle to even qualify for eligibility because he’s not a natural-born citizen. No one else has declared.
Because, in my opinion, Biden is the only viable candidate for 2024.

I would argue that they are always escalated by the right wing, but the left does their fair share of provocation.
Now will come the most tedious part, because your following paragraph is full of misrepresentations, lies and an incredibly disingenuous framing. Also to make it very clear: Anecdotes are statistically useless, yet all your examples rely on anecdotes.

The right wing didn’t make up “defund the police”.
I'll concede that "defund the police" as a slogan is terrible, especially when most advocates aren't even for abolishing or full defunding. That said I believe it to be an obviously important change that needs to happen.

They didn’t make up public schools separating children by race and labeling the white kids as “oppressors” just to make a stilted point about race relations.
Is that a widespread thing? Or just an anecdote that gets pushed by the right wing to frame the narrative? Hint, it's the latter. Unless you believe all people to be a monolith and that one should extrapolate from the actions of an individual to the actions of the group.

They didn’t make up the violent rioting that’s accompanied a number of BLM protests, especially in Minneapolis where a number of long-standing local businesses were burned to the ground.
Ah, my favorite example of idiotic far right argument with no basis in reality and a heavy distortion of actual facts.
You want facts? Let's start then:
The George Floyd protests were the largest in US history.
The were overwhelmingly peaceful, with 93% of them being peaceful.
Out of the remaining 7% that turned violent, the violence was often started by police, not by protesters.
Conflating the protesters with the rioters is wrong and disingenuous. Those aren't the same groups of people and the people who wanted to riot would've done so under other circumstances as well. They were looking for excuses.
Now comes the fun part: We know for a fact that many of the riots were sabotaged and instigated by far right agitators and accelerationists. That's what I'm talking about when I say that you keep using right wing propaganda in your comments.
Here's some more useful information compiled with links that explain the details of the whole situation.

They didn’t make up progressive prosecutors refusing to charge petty theft crimes, leading to people just walking into stores with trash bags and emptying the shelves with no fear of prosecution.
Again, anecdotes. Evidence? Studies? And don't give us a single YouTube or Twitter video.

Except true believers often convince themselves that their views are “objectively” good, whether that’s actually the case or not. The only way to get to objective truth is to take off the team jerseys, drop the posing, take a hard, critical look at the facts and reasoning, and be willing to publicly admit when your own people are wrong.
That's nice and all, but inherently meaningless. This is quite simple: The right wing is trying to take away voting rights, the bodily autonomy of women as well as constant attacks on minorities, particularly the LBTQIA community. The left wing has actual policies beyond "being reactionary". Fighting climate change, equal rights for everyone, better healthcare, lessening the wealth disparity. These are objective and verifiable facts. It has nothing to do with "team jerseys". Now, probably more than ever before, it is as clear as possible that the Dems are the vastly better choice in every respect compared to the GOP. Given the state of the world I would argue that conservatism is detrimental and the only way to move on would be to embrace progressive ideals.

There are plenty of first-hand testimonies out there from parents,
Oh, you mean anecdotes?

as well as institutional videos showing how to do some of these exercises, for example:
Just like that. And that isn't even CRT, which for the record is a university-leval course in the context of legal studies, so: no, CRT isn't taught anywhere in schools. Furthermore this video doesn't really say anything. It's a video about white privelege. I don't know how your school experience was, but especially in ethics we discussed a slew of various topics. If I went to school today white privilege might've been one of the topics and it is entirely valid to discuss that.

And plenty of organizations sell school curricula for all K-12 ranges for “anti-bias” training, including the Anti-Defamation League.
How about you state how that is a negative thing? Because a) I don't see it, and b) this isn't CRT either.

Yes, “CRT” is inaccurate shorthand for what’s actually hyperaggressive DEI/anti-racism curriculum, but it’s the shorthand people are using, and it’s not too far off the mark.
No, it very much is off the mark as described above.

This technicality is what allows educators to claim they aren’t teaching CRT when they’re still injecting hyper-awareness of racial differences and a presumption of pervasive racism in all institutions into their classroom.
If you honestly believe that America has no problems with institutional racism and that there is no value in debating and discussing that then I don't know what to say anymore. Then we'll never be able to agree on anything.

Do many existing power structures produce (mostly) unintentionally racist outcomes? Yes. Should we explore the data around this, look at things critically, and see how we can improve it? Yes.
So far, so good.

Should we start children down that path in elementary and middle school with hamfisted generalizations based on race, implying that people should in fact be judged to some extent on the color of their skin, and not the content of their character? I would argue an emphatic “no”, as that is literally the opposite of Dr. King’s dream.
This isn't what's happening though. And I believe far too many people use children as arguments because it is easy, not because they actually care. Children aren't fragile little things; they can and need to be confronted with difficult topics as they get older. If kids in Germany can learn about the horrors of the Holocaust and turn out fine, kids in the US can learn about the systemic racism prevalent throught the history of the US. Hell, you have states like Florida that try to completely change historical facts and try to downplay the horrors of slavery.

Also, it is quite hilarious that you mention Martin Luther King when he so vehemently would disagree with your comment:
“Often white liberals are unaware of their latent prejudices....
....Yet in spite of this latent prejudice, in spite of the hard reality that many blatant forms of injustice could not exist without the acquiescence of white liberals, the fact remains that a sound resolution of the race problem in America will rest with those white men and women who consider themselves as generous and decent human beings....Nothing can be more detrimental to the health of America at this time than for liberals to sink into a state of apathy and indifference.”

Also, bonus quote, since we talked about the riots earlier:
“But it is not enough for me to stand before you tonight and condemn riots. It would be morally irresponsible for me to do that without, at the same time, condemning the contingent, intolerable conditions that exist in our society. These conditions are the things that cause individuals to feel that they have no other alternative than to engage in violent rebellions to get attention. And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the negro poor has worsened over the last twelve or fifteen years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.”

This took far too long and too much energy. At this point I'm sure that neither of us is going to gain anything out of this; we simply fundamentally disagree on various concepts so we'll simply have to agree to disagree, because I'm definitely not willing to go back and forth in circles. You can take your time and respond, and I will take the time to read the comment, but I probably won't respond back because I don't ever see us agreeing on these issues. Would rather shitpost about Maiden than to continue with these topics here.

Last edited:
Whenever I read the words “hard left” written by an American to describe political behaviours that, at best, would be labelled as centre-left in Europe, I cannot help but chuckle.

There's no left, left; not in States not anywhere. Left's principal mission should be redistribution of wealth, but since they are not able to do it and stay in power (or alive), they focus in lesser matters such as abortion, LGBT and all that.

There's no left, left; not in States not anywhere. Left's principal mission should be redistribution of wealth, but since they are not able to do it and stay in power (or alive), they focus in lesser matters such as abortion, LGBT and all that.
Exactly! I always felt the Leftist ideology as pretty much incomplete in itself. Neither Lenin nor Mao could usher into 'withering away of state' or 'society regulating the general production', making it possible to do one thing today and another tomorrow, "to hunt in the morning, fish in the afternoon, rear cattle in the evening, criticise after dinner".

It's almost like ideology and movements are dynamic, relative, and ever changing. Who would have thought?

But yes, there has been a substantial shift, in Europe in particular, towards the right, transforming parties, people and thus what constitutes right/left policies in the respective countries. There is a fundamental consensus on how society should be constructed, and thus the lines of conflict have shifted.

Last edited:
Back