USA Politics

It makes me angry because I'm a bleeding-heart lib who thinks privilege is a scary and disgusting thing :D

I have seen similar arguments to that and as I think I mentioned, I do not think background checks are unconstitutional, I just think they are ineffective and being sold by some as a solution when I think it is more of a case of them wanting to say they did something and feel better about themselves.

I think where we spiraled into the abyss before was when we got onto the issue of guns should be banned or seriously restricted, that is where I would have a serious problem for all the reasons I mentioned before.

I don't know, exactly, about your link, Travis. However, the military is unto itself. I don't think it's impeding the freedom of religion in the USA. Remember, it's the military, not the rest of the country.

No, I don't think I agree with that.

It's more like an employer not wanting any religious artifacts to be presented. I don't want to walk around my work having people telling me that Jesus saves, or Allah is the way or any of that. I personally have no problem with nixing any religion in the work environment.

Most of the people who contact MRFF are other Christians who are tired of evangelicals pushing their version of Christianity on them. If a soldier is ordered to keep their faith to themselves while on duty and fail to do so, that's a direct order being contravened. Those people should be court martialed. Breitbart just inflating headlines again.

EDIT
I actually just read that full article and now I'm ready to spit nails. What utter bullshit. Mikey never said that chaplains are enemies of the state. What he said was that Christians who go outside of accepted norms to proselytize are enemies of the Constitution. Like using their rank to insist the soldiers under them go to a certain church. That *is* unconstitutional, illegal, and unAmerican. Mikey and the MRFF don't give a shit who you worship, and if you're having a few beers with your squadmates at the NCO's Mess and you want to talk about your god, go nuts. The problem is when the Air Force Captain lies on your performance report because you don't pray the right way.

Full disclosure: I am a donor to the MRFF.

More benefits from ObamaCare

this part just cracks me up ..
I just love the irony that the biggest crisis in healthcare was the cost, so the government got involved and through their leadership, it became so expensive that other government employers had to adjust what they were doing so they could screw people out of the benefits because the costs were too high.

"I understand there are costs to healthcare reform, but it is surely not the intent of the law for employees to lose hours," said the outreach coordinator at the El Dorado Nature Center in Long Beach. "It's ridiculous the city is skirting the law."

Many part-timers are facing a double whammy from President Obama's Affordable Care Act.

The law requires large employers offering health insurance to include part-time employees working 30 hours a week or more. But rather than provide healthcare to more workers, a growing number of employers are cutting back employee hours instead.

The result: Not only will these workers earn less money, but they'll also miss out on health insurance at work.

Consider the city of Long Beach. It is limiting most of its 1,600 part-time employees to fewer than 27 hours a week, on average. City officials say that without cutting payroll hours, new health benefits would cost up to $2 million more next year, and that extra expense would trigger layoffs and cutbacks in city services.

Part-timer Tara Sievers, 43, understands why, but she still thinks it's wrong.

"I understand there are costs to healthcare reform, but it is surely not the intent of the law for employees to lose hours," said the outreach coordinator at the El Dorado Nature Center in Long Beach. "It's ridiculous the city is skirting the law."

Across the nation, hundreds of thousands of other hourly workers may also see smaller paychecks in the coming year because of this response to the federal healthcare law. The law exempts businesses with fewer than 50 full-time workers from this requirement to provide benefits.

But big restaurant chains, retailers and movie theaters are starting to trim employee hours. Even colleges are reducing courses for part-time professors to keep their hours down and avoid paying for their health premiums.

Overall, an estimated 2.3 million workers nationwide, including 240,000 in California, are at risk of losing hours as employers adjust to the new math of workplace benefits, according to research by UC Berkeley. All this comes at a time when part-timers are being hired in greater numbers as U.S. employers look to keep payrolls lean.

I honestly have no clue what the US's healthcare system is about, at all! Do you, or do you not, currently have people in your country who do not have access to healthcare? (--& by that, I mean the same healthcare as any other citizen.)

Let's break this up in two

have people in your country who do not have access to healthcare?
Not really, in an emergency a hospital is required to take people in regardless of insurance status or ability to pay

(--& by that, I mean the same healthcare as any other citizen.)

Of course not ... no one has that just based on not every doctor or facility is the same. Having more money or just decent to good insurance is certainly helpful though

And what about non-emergencies i.e. does everyone have access to healthcare generally & have access to their own doctor? Fundamentally, are people making choices about access, based on how much money they have?

Back