USA Politics

On this subject, he's lost all credibility by dismissing the whole issue as mere campaign posturing. It isn't. I know many liberal American Jews who are -- and have been, long before this presidential campaign -- scared to death that Obama would effectively abandon Israel in a conflict with Iran. (Maybe he would, maybe he wouldn't.) Then, in an effort to deflect away from his obvious error, he insulted me with the richly ironic "pay more attention to history" comment.

Reading that post again, my only regret is that I did not instead respond simply as follows:

Take it easy champ. Why don't you stop talking for a while. Maybe sit the next couple plays out.

Mere? After all it is in the campaign but maiden indiana also gave other arguments, told about things which are highly unpopular in the campaign. And as I can see highly unpopular for some American Jews and the people who agree with them.

Romney is smart, he knows how to bring this subject in to try and get the Jewish vote.

Speaking about these liberal Jews in relation to Obama. I hope some of them have sense to vote for Obama and not listen too much to Romney or other conservatives from the past. Fear isn't always the best council in foreign conflicts. And why the hell would Obama abandon Israel?

I hope that some understand that Israel isn't infallible. The endless building of houses on occupied territory, the constant refusal of help for Palestinians. This inhumanity needs to end one day.

I think Obama did well, at least his attitude in the Palestinian conflict. Finally a president who dares to criticize Israel. A conflict has two sides and both need to be addressed.

Obama did not loose all credibility. He tried to give hope to the oppressed by letting Israel know that not everything they do is acceptable and taken for granted.

It doesn't have a damn thing to do with Republican rhetoric. In all honesty, I think it's more of a racial prejudice issue. American Jews and American Blacks don't like each other. That's an oversimplified stereotype with many exceptions, of course, but it's more true than it should be. You'd think that, since they both have been heavily persecuted over the centuries, there would be mutual empathy. Nope.

My point to Cornfed is that tensions between the U. S. and Israel is nothing new, and in the past has been far more contentious. To the best of my knowledge, Obama has not cut one dime in the financial aid that we have provided Israel nor even suggested doing so. Anybody with common sense would realize that the U.S. would never desert our strongest ally in that region of the world. Israel just doesn't like the fact that a U. S. president has finally told them that they're not always right in their actions. As far as Cornfed being done with me, sorry to disappoint him but I have far more important concerns to worry about

Israel just doesn't like the fact that a U. S. president has finally told them that they're not always right in their actions.
Nor do the Reps like it, or at least that's what Romney is hoping for, because this could be a major difference between him and Obama on the foreign campaign. Even if foreign campaign plays a minor role in the elections, Romney sure would hang on to every difference possible. And he sure might get lots of American support for this different view (I sure don't hope so though).

Civic duty done for the year, went and early voted today. Was surprised at how crowded it was, I know one of the poll workers, he said that this was the biggest turnout they had seen since they started early voting. Good to see so many people come out to vote

Phew, one poll says 48% for Romney and 49% for Obama. The next one says 49% for Romney, 48% for Obama. What impact is Sandy going to have?

Polls are all over the place, just look at the past 4 polls from Ohio, they range from Obama +5 to Romney +2. The trick on all of these is that the pollsters are trying to determine who will show up to vote ... and that is what this really comes down to. Do more Republicans/Republican leaning Indies show up in greater or lesser numbers than the Dems. They one advantage I think Romney has is that pretty much all polls show hime with leads amongst independants, wheras Obama won them over McCain 4 years ago.

It does not mean all these votes switched from Obama to Romney, I think it means that pollsters are expecting (too varying degrees) that independants that generally lean more to the right are expected to vote in greater numbers than those who lean to the left.

It looks like it is a legit tossup kind of election and it really will come down to which side can get the better turnout in key states.

It looks like pretty much all in person compaigning is on hold for at least the next few days because of Sandy.

Some of the newscasts have started talking about the possibility of Romney winning the popular vote while Obama wins the electorial college vote. Just what we need, a repeat of the 2000 election.

I think that is possible, it looks like Romney will run up huge numbers in the red states, some states will switch from blue to red and Obamas margins in the blue states will be less than 2008. I would prefer a clear outcome, not matter who wins.

Obama won Indiana in the last election, but I seriously doubt he'll win it again. Unless Romney continuing to endorse the dumbass Republican senator candidate costs him votes

There is no way Obama will win Indiana again, he is not even contesting it. GOP Senators need to say nothing when asked about rape, but it does show to a degree how things have swung against the Dems in Indiana and MO. The Senator in Indiana has a decent change to win (and is still probably the favorite) and the one in MO is only down by a few points.

Things haven't really swung in Indiana. Obama winning this state during the last election was the exception not the rule. He was the first Democrat to win this state since Johnson in 1964 and before that you have to go back to FDR since a Democrat won this state. On the other hand Mourdock really fucked himself with the rape statement. And then he made it worse by not appologizing for what he said, but appologizing for the way people misunderstood his remarks. I was watching the debate and I didn't misunderstand what he said. I was busy trying to stop my old lady from kicking the fucking T.V. screen in when he said it. I'll be shocked if he wins.

Memo to Obama (and Romney, in case he wins): like it or not, incentives matter.

Looming Tax Hike Motivates Owners to Sell
By JOHN D. MCKINNON
A looming increase in the capital-gains tax rate next year is fueling sales of some privately-held businesses.
Many business owners—mostly founders who could gain a lot from a sale—are looking to close deals before next year, when the maximum tax on investment income is scheduled to rise from 15% currently to at least 23.8% on most capital gains, at least for higher-income households. Many sellers intend to convert their equity into retirement funds or just start anew.
MK-BY412_TAXSEL_D_20121031182456.jpg
Eddie Seal for The Wall Street Journal
Bert Wolf of Acetylene Oxygen in Harlingen, Texas, says he plans to sell his compressed-gas business before 2013. Many business owners are looking to close deals by year's end.
"It just made more sense for me to take my chips off the table and go do something else," said Bert Wolf, 60 years old, who has an agreement to sell his compressed-gas business, Acetylene Oxygen Co. of Harlingen, Tex., before year-end.
Mr. Wolf added that if he waited until after the tax increase to sell, he would have to expand the business at the current rate "for at least 3 or 4 more years to achieve the same after-tax sales dollar." He is profiting on the sale of his business to Praxair Inc., a public company.
"There's a kind of a panic on to get things done," said Beatrice Mitchell, co-founder of Sperry, Mitchell & Co. Inc., a New York investment bank that is advising Mr. Wolf on the sale.
To be sure, the weak economy has been difficult for many small-business owners across the board. The median selling price for U.S. small businesses in the quarter ended Sept. 30 was $174,000 down 8.2% from four years earlier, according to BizBuySell.com, an online small-business marketplace. The firm's findings are based on sales, reported voluntarily by business brokers and mostly of less than $1 million, in 70 major markets.
In the three quarters so far this year, 3,536 small businesses exchanged hands, down 34% from the first three quarters of 2008, when sales of small businesses were at a record high, it found.
Yet, some companies' bottom lines are in better shape now than during the recession. That has improved their valuations. Investment bankers say they believe sales of companies whose asking prices are $10 million to $250 million have been boosted for the past two years by pending increases in the capital-gains rates.
The top tax rate will go up at year-end by at least 3.8 percentage points because of a provision in President Barack Obama's health-care overhaul law. But that will be added onto a top rate that will depend on negotiations between Mr. Obama and Congress after the November election, when they are expected to seek a deal on numerous tax and spending measures.
Mr. Obama and Congress agreed in late 2010 to extend the current 15% capital-gains tax rate through this year. Absent further action, the top capital gains tax rate will rise to 20% on Jan. 1. After adding the extra charge from the health-care law for higher-income households, the maximum tax on investment income would be 23.8%. When combined with the scheduled expiration of some other tax breaks for high earners, the maximum tax on investment income would be as high as 25%.
Many Republican lawmakers want to extend the 15% rate. If they prevail, the maximum tax likely would rise to at least 18.8% because of the health-care charge.
Mr. Obama proposes to let the top capital gains tax rate rise to 20% on income above $250,000 for couples, but hold it to 15% on income below that threshold.
Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney has said that if elected, he would seek to eliminate taxes on all investment income, including capital gains, for taxpayers with incomes below $200,000. He proposes to maintain the 15% maximum rate on income above that level. He also plans to repeal parts of the health-care law, including the investment-tax increase.
Leonard Ramirez and his wife built up their Houston-based oil drilling supply business, Drilling & Production Resources Inc., over 25 years. They sold it last year to PGI International, a manufacturer of precision parts and systems, partly to avoid the possible capital-gains increase, according to Mr. Ramirez.
The owners of IM Solutions LLC, a Dallas-based online marketing company that serves the legal industry, figured the expected tax increases in 2013 would eat up about 8.8% of the proceeds from selling their business, said company president John Emerick. That 8.8% chunk could be up to $1 million or more of his share, he said.
"It was pretty clear to us that it made more sense for us to pull the trigger early," Mr. Emerick said. "For me—I'm 49—I'm thinking I might not earn that much for the rest of my life. The earnings for the rest of my life would be equivalent to the tax I'd be paying by waiting until 2013." The owners sold the business to LeadingResponse LLC in a deal financed by Huron Capital Partners, a private-equity group, closing on the sale in July.
Generally, there are more sellers than buyers of small businesses. Investment bankers and brokers say both are being motivated by taxes to some degree. Sellers are looking at the scheduled increase in capital gains rates, and buyers are being discouraged by the overall uncertainty over tax policy.
When Congress last raised capital gains tax rates in 1986, lifting the top rate to 28% from 20%, the change triggered a wave of asset sales, including securities and companies, in the months before it took effect.
The top rate had been scheduled to rise from to 20% from 15% at the end of 2010, before the White House and Congress agreed in December 2010 to extend the lower rate for two years. In the fourth quarter of 2010, there were 928 sales of companies priced between $10 million and $250 million, for instance, compared with 660 sales of companies in that range in the third quarter, and with 548 sales of companies in that range a year earlier, according to data from S&P Capital IQ.
Sales of companies in this range have stayed reasonably strong, averaging 728 per quarter since the start of 2011, according to S&P Capital IQ data. But such sales have slipped a bit this year compared with 2011, largely because of broader uncertainty about the economy as well as tax policy, investment advisers say.

Write to John D. McKinnon at John.McKinnon@wsj.com
A version of this article appeared November 1, 2012, on page B5 in the U.S. edition of The Wall Street Journal, with the headline: Looming Tax Hike Motivates Owners to Sell.

Election Day tomorrow ... I feel pretty decent about Romney winning (at least 50-50 decent). The underlying premise in many of these polls strikes me as BS. CNN for example has Obama +1, but are assuming an 11% Dem advantage over the GOP in turnout (it was 7% in 2008). I am not seeing Romney down 1 winning Indies by 22.

I'm begining to think Obama is going to squeak one out by the narrowest of margins. However no matter who wins, I think it'll be at least Wednesday or possibly Thursday before we know who wins.

Yeah, Ohio might go on for a while .. they are projecting many provisional ballots. Though if Romney cannot win VA, FL, and NC ... Ohio will not really matter

I'm going home, putting on my jammies, getting a pizza and beer, then turning on Comedy Central's coverage of the election.

Looks like Mitt is toast, the GOP needs to find someone who can get 40% of the non Cuban Hispanic vote or they will end up looking like the Dems did during the 1970s/80s in Presidential races. Luckily, the GOP held the House and might even make a small gain,

Back