Up The Gers!!!

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Some of his solos hit the spot (fear of the dark) while others miss (brighter than a 1000 suns). Live I enjoy his double solos with H on The Trooper and The Evil That Men Do. I also thought he was quite chivalrous to allow H and Dave the bulk of the solos on the SBIT tour. Definitely no ego there.
You'll be surprised, but H didn't exactly take the bulk of the solos, I wrote down the number of solos in this post, Dave's got 13, H 8 and Jan 7. Everyone took their fair share.

Ranko...I've got Jan on 6: revelations, the trooper, heaven can wait, fear of the dark, moonchild and hallowed be thy name. Not sure which one I've missed but I'm sure there is one...however I don't count his single lick in 2 minutes as a solo.

Janick is great guitarist, I realy like his progresive way of playing, I realy like his solo in Heaven Can Wait ´08,Hallowed Be Thy Name,  or doubles in Trooper, Evil That Men Do and many more  :shred:
and his songwriting is great too I like his songs like:

The Legacy
Montségur
Dance Of Death
Ghost Of The Navigator
Dream Of Mirrors
Out Of The Silent Planet
Lord Of Flies
Man On The Edge
The Aftermath
The Edge Of Darknes
Be Quick Or Be Dead

I hope that this ones will play live again

The Mid-Distance Runner said:
Ranko...I've got Jan on 6: revelations, the trooper, heaven can wait, fear of the dark, moonchild and hallowed be thy name. Not sure which one I've missed but I'm sure there is one...however I don't count his single lick in 2 minutes as a solo.
Yeah, I counted the 2 Minutes lick as a solo.

@ Jeffmetal - I was counting the solos in the first leg of SBIT, not the last one when they changed the setlist.

....I like Janick, but yea his sloppy soloing does bug me a bit, and He has been in the band long enough now that he should give Adrian all of his solos back during live shows.  He has plenty of solos of his own, and Maiden play a LOT of "newer" material on their tours.....Here's something to ponder for everyone since the conversation drifted to talking about other guitarists,.........I often wonder how Randy Rhodes would have progressed and what he would be doing presently if he were still alive.....does anyone agree that he would probably be the greatest guitar player ever?  The man was immensley talented.  Adrian and Joe Satriani are my faves, but if Rhodes was still with us,  I think there would be NO comparison.  I also think he wouldnt have stayed with OZZY that much longer and would have formed his own band.

Randy Rhoads was a genius! I don't even like to think what he'd been done and would be doing 'cos we won't ever know. In fact, he was going to leave Ozzy at the time of his death.

adrian fn rules said:
....I like Janick, but yea his sloppy soloing does bug me a bit, and He has been in the band long enough now that he should give Adrian all of his solos back during live shows.  He has plenty of solos of his own, and Maiden play a LOT of "newer" material on their tours.....Here's something to ponder for everyone since the conversation drifted to talking about other guitarists,.........I often wonder how Randy Rhodes would have progressed and what he would be doing presently if he were still alive.....does anyone agree that he would probably be the greatest guitar player ever?  The man was immensley talented.  Adrian and Joe Satriani are my faves, but if Rhodes was still with us,  I think there would be NO comparison.  I also think he wouldnt have stayed with OZZY that much longer and would have formed his own band.

I have wondered about the same thing.  I don't know if he would have been the "greatest ever", but he certainly would be god tier.  Randy Rhoads was incredible, and he was only 25 when he died.  I think he had a huge amount of potential beyond what he had already realized.

first of all I think Janick was a lot better on TM by Bruce. I never liked his playing on FOTD and NPFTD but I think it improved. My main problem with his playing is his tone. However I think he does great as a single guitar player as proven on TM. A lot of guitar players are like this. EVH, Jimmy Page, Nuno Bettencort, and Satch to name a few and Janick just seems to be one of those players. However the three guitar thing is great and Janick adds an amazing depth to the band.

Suicidehummer said:
:blink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpWQiGQSUyk

Even look at the first comment for that video. Page admitted he wasn't as good as Blackmore.

Ritchie's phrasing is far more complex than anything I've heard from Page, nevermind the fact that Ritchie hits just about every note.

Lol, fair enough.  If page said it, who am I to argue.  I do enjoy pages playing just a bit more than Blackmore's but that's just a personal take. 

I have no problem with people preferring him, it just confuses me when people praise him as THE BEST. :blink:

BTW, I think the BEST guitarist is probably Larry Carlton. There are surely faster guitarists but he plays such unusual and creative stuff and makes it sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eN-7EYddgk

How do you embed videos on here?

Suicidehummer said:
I have no problem with people preferring him, it just confuses me when people praise him as THE BEST. :blink:

BTW, I think the BEST guitarist is probably Larry Carlton. There are surely faster guitarists but he plays such unusual and creative stuff and makes it sound great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eN-7EYddgk

How do you embed videos on here?

Haha yeah, there are a lot of guitarists who are better than page.

I think in technical terms Janick isn't quite up there with H and Dave but he has some truly brilliant solos and some fantastic songwriting credits, I have no problem whatsoever with his on-stage antics, as someone else said there's no reason why Bruce and Steve should be the only ones running around. It shows the immense amounts of enthusiasm he has!  :shred:

I don't know if Janick soloed on the Mercenary, but the solos in that song are incredible.  Janick needs much more love from the majority of Maiden fans, and besides Nicko he is easily the most enjoyable to watch.  :bigsmile:

Back