Unofficial 'history' DVDs.

clive

Prowler
Hello everyone,

Sorry if this has been discussed already but I'm looking for any recommendations or general info regarding some new Maiden DVDs which I keep seeing. They are 'Rock Case Studies' (Edgehill) and 'World's Greatest Albums' (Classic Rock Legends).

Also - is the 'History of Fear' DVD the same as the 'Legacy of the Beast' disc which came out a while ago. It certainly looks like the same documentary under a different cover and I don't want to buy the thing twice!

I figured I might as well come here and ask the experts - are they any good?

Cheers guys!

Hi,

I have the 1st two you mentioned.

Rock case studies is well worth the money IMO. It comes in a cool hard cover 'book style' case, with about 25 pages in the book with pics, reviewing each album (haven't read that yet though!). It's a 2 dvd set, but disc 2 contains just a long Di'Anno interview (60% of which is already on disc 1), but disc 1 I really enjoyed.

It contains a fair bit of footage I've never seen before, eg, a proper live version of Women in uniform (not the official video release version) plus stuff from tv shows from around 1986. But the footage is shown in between interviews, so is seen in 20 second segments, rather than continuous footage. The interviews are pretty good (Di'Anno, Stratton, Mick Wall etc), and the disc covers up to 7th son period (if I remember correctly).

The down side are it's silly little mistakes regarding the presentation, eg. the subtitle introducing Di'Anno says 'Tony Di'Anno', and says the ist album came out in 1981 etc. Also there is no interviews with the current members.

Crap research from the dvd company aside, the actual Maiden stuff is good (way better than the Legacy dvd), and I was glad I bought this (just a couple of weeks ago).

The other one, Worlds greatest albums, concerning just the debut album, is not so essential, as it's made by the same people and so uses a lot of the same footage and interviews (about 80% in fact!). That said, I was still glad I bought it.

So if you LOVE watching Maiden ex members interviews, and journalists talking about Maiden, you should like at least the 1st dvd, and if you are a complete Maiden dvd nut (like me), you'll be glad you bought the 2nd dvd!

Hope this helps! :)

The big question is, do they contain any information that is not in Run To The Hills, 12 Wasted Years, In Profile, the Classic Albums - The Number Of The Beast DVD or The Early Days? The thing is, it's pretty tiresome to hear the same old anecdotes again and again while waiting for new stuff to pop up.

There's definatley different opinions about stuff like recording the albums, touring, band relationships etc to those found in the official stuff. Who you want to believe though is up to you, as I think the opinions are personal to those being interviewed.

And obviously, I'd recommend getting the official stuff first, but the unofficial stuff serves as a nice 'stop gap' until new stuff surfaces (for me at least).

At the end of the day though, don't expect Maiden history to be re-written just cos it's an unofficial dvd, but there is a different slant on the things that happened.

I remember purchasing Legacy of the Beast. It's imo not worth getting it.

"A friend of a friend of mine, who's cousin's friend saw Maiden back in the seventies, told me..."

...etc.

I didn't even have the patience to see the whole thing.

Wowsers, thanks for the info!

I was a bit concerned that the two DVDs were made by the same people and would therefore recycle the same material between them but there seems to be enough difference between the two to jusitfy buying both.

And lets face it, it's always interesting to hear the points of view of people who were once associated with Maiden but are now outside the 'inner circle'. (Even though, in the case of Paul Di'Anno, you have to take whatever's said with a MASSIVE pinch of salt - but that's a whole other story!)

clive said:
Wowsers, thanks for the info!

I was a bit concerned that the two DVDs were made by the same people and would therefore recycle the same material between them but there seems to be enough difference between the two to jusitfy buying both.

And lets face it, it's always interesting to hear the points of view of people who were once associated with Maiden but are now outside the 'inner circle'. (Even though, in the case of Paul Di'Anno, you have to take whatever's said with a MASSIVE pinch of salt - but that's a whole other story!)

I share your opinion. :)

But remember I did say that the one dvd has about 80% that's already on the 2dvd set!

Back