Twickenham gig, my review

This was my sixth time seeing Maiden live and I have to say it was the best show i've seen them do so far. Set list was great, thought i'd never hear the likes of those songs in my lifetime.

Got to my hotel around 1pm after a long drive from Manchester. Checked in and had a swift pint in the bar. We were at the Holiday Inn and it had been taken over by two very different groups. The first group was Maiden fans decked out in black and denim and the second group was an Indian wedding. The reception area and bar were all busy and and an excited little buzz was in the air. Being just over three miles from the stadium my friend and I elected to walk, stopping at various ale houses on the way. Highlights were the Indian restaraunt that was dishing out free food and a gaybar that had a pink pool room. Apparently metal fans had been coming in, downing their pint very fucking quickly and leaving.

As we got closer the stone structure of the stadium got bigger and bigger, as did the feeling of excitement. We stopped at Tesco's and bought three bottles of piss warm Grolsch and supped them on a small patch of grass that had attracted dozens of metal fans. Forget Henman Hill, we were in Twickenham and this was Maiden Mountain.

Got into the stadium and stepped onto the covered turf and took a few moments to look around at the high steep stands filled with fans. Avenged Sevenfold were halfway through their set and we made our way to the front. Following their act the bottle throwing started and we ducked and dived and thankfully didnt get hit.

When Churchill's speech started a surge towards tge front started and I screamed half in crushed agony and half in ecstacy. The band hot the stage and the crowd went bonkers, jumping, moshing, singing, screaming you name it. I was unfortunate enough to be knoecked to the ground during Revelations but was quickly helped to my feet. Being 36 and not as fit as I used to be we took a decision to move a bit further back to relative safety.

We attempted to move forward again during the quieter part of ROTAM but my friend and I got seperated so I watched the rest of the gig with an Andy Murray lookalike and his gang of mates.

After the gig we walked back to the hotel, stopping at a fine kebab shop on the way. A few beers in the bar and the bed for about three.

Highlights were Aces High, Wasted Years, ROTAM, Moonchild and Heaven Can Wait.

The first gig they have played to a stadium audience in the UK and the best gig I've been to so far.

Back