Tournament of Maiden Solos: the Top 10 video!

Which guitar solo is your favourite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hmm, you guys could have saved it. Let's hope this won't happen too often.

Difficult. On the one hand I could open it again, because you didn't get a warning in advance, but on the other hand that wouldn't be nice for the (more alert ;-) people who voted for the other solo.

Last edited:
(NOTE: If this game is new for you, and if you would like to participate, please check the opening post of this thread, before you vote)

Result of round 1, 3rd battle: Adrian Smith's Rime solo from Flight 666 (114) is eliminated. All live solos have been eliminated. This one came the furthest in the game. 035 advances to the 3rd round.

Round 2: 4th battle:

Nah, don't change it now... It wasn't that easy to miss the match completely. And the deadline is always displayed at the top of the poll.

I'm going with The Thin Line. Dave's CSiT is not really good, to be honest...

@Forostar Are the solos paired randomly? (I believe Rime studio vs live wasn't.)

Not random.

I have a scheme and a method, worked out from the beginning. Zooming in at the round 2 pairing, the method did not work out entirely.

The plan was as follows: All second best solos from the first groups in round 1A, that did not directly qualify for round 2, let's say the non-group winners that made round 2 via round 1B, would be paired with a group winner from the other half of the scheme. As it turned out (and I knew in advance that this could happen) there are more solos from one and the same original 1A group that made it to round 2 (groups of death ;-) ). So one of these next best solos followed the method, and landed against a designated group winner (decided by a number in the scheme), but the others had to meet other group winners which had no designated opponents because there were groups with no next best solos going to round 2 via 1B (because they lost in round 1B ). I paired these occasions myself.

Short version: Every group in this 2nd round has a 1A group winner in it. Sometimes the opponent was decided automatically because there was only one 2nd best solo from a 1A group. Sometimes the opponent was decided by me because there were too many 2nd best solos from a 1A group, or none at all.

Last edited:
See previous post.

As it turned out, in round 2, 1A group winner Adrian's The Prisoner won. The other two 1A group winners (Adrian's Rime Flight 666 & Janick's Dance of Death) lost from their opponents.

Last edited:
OK, that's complicated, but I'm glad you have it figured out. I mean it's good that there is some kind of algorithmic method behind it as opposed to 'Hmm... Today I feel like pairing this one and that one'. :p Random could be quite unfair too.

I am quite proud of the 1A and 1B group forming. In 1A I did my utmost best to spread the estimated popularity of the solos, but in 1B I really divided the actual popularity over the groups, based on the results of 1A. Compared to this accuracy in the first round, everything goes very (almost too!) fast, from now on.

Everything is designated from now on. The scheme decides the next pairings in every following round.

Last edited:
Great runs on the Caught Somewhere in Time solo. I like the way he runs on the neck of his guitar, covering most of it. Very fluently and there's a cool rhythmic element as well.

Thin Line.
I've always regarded Dave's CSIT solo simply as a prelude to the best solo ever.

Also in this context? I love it on its own. It's one of his longer and more thoughtful solos (even though it has its flashy moments, there are patterns that do not feel that improvised).

Back