Tournament of INSTRUMENTALS (Eighth Finals): Group B

Vote for your FAVOURITE instrumental track: 1 vote per battle

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Even better, in that case, the point of Ides being "just an intro" shouldn't be brought up since Sirius is an intro too!

Exactly. And Ides works better by itself, it packs quite a bit into a skirt time and can be easily taken as a single song. Sirius is clearly setting the mood for something but by itself its a bit pointless and unsatisfying. That's why it works really well in movies and such.

Even better, in that case, the point of Ides being "just an intro" shouldn't be brought up since Sirius is an intro too!

Never argued that myself. I only argued with the fact that you claimed Sirius to be "super boring". You came up with arguments like "it doesn't go anywhere" or "it's too short" to back it up. That has nothing to do with boredom.

As for Mosh's argument that Ides works better by itself, I don't think that's true at all. Sirius is a much more layered piece than Ides is. Ides has a complete "intro" vibe, while Sirius doesn't give anything away in regards to that.

Reactions: RTC
I think I actually preferred Sirius as a standalone. There was a little bit of drama and buildup in there, but Eye isn't my thing at all.

@RTC

I remember you never reacted to my post but I wonder if you read it:

Ides is never paired with Wrathchild though anymore, so you can't make the argument that it's a Hellion kind of deal because Hellion is always paired with Electric Eye. Maybe it was intended to be, but you can see how well that worked out. And just because Ides had history doesn't necessarily make it a good or worthwhile song.

@NP: Murders would be great as a second track in the vein of 2MTM. Carry the momentum forward from Track 1. Instead, it's placed awkwardly as Track 3.

@Mosh: It doesn't. After listening to Sirius with context involved, it flows much, much better. Ides just abruptly stops and goes into Wrathchild. Why not start the album with Wrathchild instead of starting the album with filler?

Both songs stop abruptly, did you even listen to them? Also, Hellion isn't in the game anymore so dunno why you mention it :p

Both songs stop abruptly, did you even listen to them? Also, Hellion isn't in the game anymore so dunno why you mention it :p

Listen to the full version that Foro posted. At the 1:55 mark, it transitions into Eye In The Sky. Ides stops and then suddenly Wrathchild starts.

Hellion got knocked out a while ago.

Both songs stop abruptly, did you even listen to them?

There's no break between Sirius and Eye in the Sky. Eye in the Sky uses the ending of Sirius as an intro and starts off with the same feel. Wrathchild starts with a bass intro that has nothing to do with Ides. Not that it really matters.

Ides is never paired with Wrathchild though anymore, so you can't make the argument that it's a Hellion kind of deal because Hellion is always paired with Electric Eye. Maybe it was intended to be, but you can see how well that worked out. And just because Ides had history doesn't necessarily make it a good or worthwhile song.
No but at least you've had a lesson on its history. You better have your facts straight out here, if you use them as one of the main arguments, and especially when you want to make a track look bad.

Last edited:
No but at least you've had a lesson on its history. You better have your facts straight out here, if you use them as one of the main arguments, and especially when you want to make a track look bad.

But you've proven my point more in that Ides failed where Hellion succeeded.

There's no break between Sirius and Eye in the Sky. Eye in the Sky uses the ending of Sirius as an intro and starts off with the same feel. Wrathchild starts with a bass intro that has nothing to do with Ides. Not that it really matters.
Different kind of ending. Both end abruptly but at least Ides has an ending, Sirius just segues into the next song, which is worse imo.

Quite like how those rhythm guitars continue into Eye. Awesome guitar licks at the end by the way.

RTC:
I think you said earlier that the pairing of Ides/Wrathchild had no basis at all, and I said they did.
Most Maiden fans out here do not see Ides/Wrathchild as an alien combination, even though Maiden didn't pair these in ages. The Hellion is on Priest's most succesful album ever (at least in the USA) and I guess it never left the setlist. If that is your point: then yes, that sounds more succesful compared to what happened with Ides.

On the other hand, in this game the Maiden track rules more. This is about how a track makes impact by listening to it, not about how often it got played in concert (on tape ;-).

The fact that Ides doesn't flow into Wrathchild is exactly why it works better on its own. Sirius on its own (without Eye in the Sky) doesn't go anywhere. Yes it does go somewhere on the album, but we're not supposed to be judging based on what the piece does on the album. Wrathchild and Eye in the Sky are irrelevant. Out of context, Ides of March works as its own song. It has a traditional song form (albeit very short) and it has a definite ending. Sirius is clearly meant to set the mood for something else.

Also, if something is boring to someone that's just an opinion. For some, a piece not going anywhere has everything to do with boredom.

Voted for Sirius and Floyd. Maybe I should change my votes to the winning songs, like Dusty. 3&4 are still close though.

Back