Lost Keys (Blame Hofmann) / Rosetta Stoned
Intension

Promoted:
Stinkfist
46 & Two
Aenima

Fear inoculum joins the game.

@Nicholas1996
Hello there, I see you voted in this round and I’d like to thank you for your contribution to the game. However some others and I are a bit perplexed at some of your votes, would you be so kind as to explain those for me?

@Nicholas1996
Hello there, I see you voted in this round and I’d like to thank you for your contribution to the game. However some others and I are a bit perplexed at some of your votes, would you be so kind as to explain those for me?
Yes.! Culling voices didn’t really do it for me. Invincible isn’t a bad song but it never really climaxed or had anything that grabbed me. And out of the other songs I consider the patient the weakest. Not saying they’re bad songs but with the songs given that’s where I stand with them.

This is a tough round. The only song I actually wanted to vote for was Chocolate Chip Trip, but I ended up making some painful choices. These include Patient, Schism, Jambi, the monkey song, and Culling.

Yes.! Culling voices didn’t really do it for me. Invincible isn’t a bad song but it never really climaxed or had anything that grabbed me. And out of the other songs I consider the patient the weakest. Not saying they’re bad songs but with the songs given that’s where I stand with them.
No Chocolate Chip Trip?

Fear Inoculum is easily Tool's most consistent album. There's not a single bad song here (except Chocolate Chip Trip, which I still don't think deserves to be considered a song). It is, however, also their most bloated album. The interludes here are completely random and pointless and legitimately detract from the overall quality. The songs are stupidly long and only two of them truly justify their length. FI also feels likes Tool's "doom metal" album in that every song is primarily at a plodding, dirge-like pace until the final track. Sure, some of them modulate into an upbeat section after 37 minutes of repetitious pull-off riffs, but it just takes so long to get there.

But, I'm being mean again. Sorry, it's an easy thing to do with Tool. 7empest is easily the band's single greatest instrumental achievement and Descending is wonderful. The title track is also deceptively fantastic.

Voting for:

Pnuema
Culling Voices
Chocolate Chip Trip
+
The Patient (simply nowhere near as good as the remaining Lateralus songs)
Jambi (I love the energy but it gets monotonous)

Stinkfist is out? :(

Thanks for the reminder, listening to FI as we speak. Only my second full listen since it was released... :oops:

Only my second full listen since it was released... :oops:

With good reason, this album is so slow. All the songs feel like they're building towards something epic just to go nowhere. Voted for The Patient plus everything on FI that isn't the title track or Invincible.

With good reason, this album is so slow. All the songs feel like they're building towards something epic just to go nowhere. Voted for The Patient plus everything on FI that isn't the title track or Invincible.

I don't disagree that this album is too bloated and some songs drag, yet you voted for 7empest which is literally the only song on the entire album that has tons of energy from the get-go.

I don't disagree that this album is too bloated and some songs drag, yet you voted for 7empest which is literally the only song on the entire album that has tons of energy from the get-go.

Maybe I'd just lost interest by that point. My main takeaway from 7empest (worst ever title, by the way, yes, worse than Hooker With A Penis) was that the intro riff reminded me of some nu-metal song and it didn't interest me enough to remember anything else about it.

Maybe I'd just lost interest by that point. My main takeaway from 7empest (worst ever title, by the way, yes, worse than Hooker With A Penis) was that the intro riff reminded me of some nu-metal song and it didn't interest me enough to remember anything else about it.
I know that was the reason I considered it my least favorite the first listen. I began to lose attention by then, plus it came after tracks much weaker than the opening ones. But 2nd listen I was shocked because I didn't even remember it being anything like what it is...

All the songs feel like they're building towards something epic just to go nowhere
I also agree with you two that it might be too long, but I actually really enjoyed this concept. The songs are like different realities of Reflection, with more flavor. Maybe Intension would be a better comparison.

I really think that Fear Inoculum is Tool's most consistent album. Lateralus comes close, but there's a few songs there that hover around average. On Fear Inoculum, my two least favorite tracks - Culling Voices and Invincible - are still really good. The songs are long, yes, but I like progressive music that builds.

Descending is just incredible. Powerful melodies, tons of emotion, great chorus, and an instrumental second half that sounds straight out of an epic disaster movie.

Eliminated:
The Patient
Culling Voices
CC Trip

I think we'll get to the finals next round.

7th round and I place mine on Jambi, Right in Two, Pnumea and B) 73mp357 B) without much thought. Descending is growing on me, I initially had it in the bottom...

And it seems I won't have to vote a good Lateralus track out as we're most likely going to the finals next round, but if all survive it will be a terrible decision between Grudge and Schism (both of which I've contemplated voting for at least 2 rounds!)

Jambi
Right in Two
Pneuma
Invincible

How in the hell do we already have three votes for 7empest?! I don't get it. I love Descending and the title track, but 7empest is literally the only song on the entire album with any life to it.

I do not think I am destined to get along with most Tool fans.

Back