To infinity, and beyond...

Mmm...Donuts said:
...there might be life out there. Or Daleks.
Daleks are a life form. :D

Seriously, it would be pretty ignorant to assume there is no other form of life somewhere out there. But this life form may not necessarily be as we know life. I mean, astrologers/scientist or whatever keep saying this planet is too hot/this planet is too dry/etc. to sustain life - but what if there is a life form that can live in these conditions? I'm sure these bods would have thought about this before simply dismissing it and making these claims - but am I looking at it from the wrong angle to suggest a life form can be something we don't always expect?

In a way, these extra terrestrials may have forms beyond our comprehension. Think about it, our neighbors maybe floating...flashlights?
I can say is that we can imagine all we want, then we'll find out if they ever find one of our probes and find the star map. And stare at our forms :p

Albie said:
Seriously, it would be pretty ignorant to assume there is no other form of life somewhere out there. But this life form may not necessarily be as we know life. I mean, astrologers/scientist or whatever keep saying this planet is too hot/this planet is too dry/etc. to sustain life - but what if there is a life form that can live in these conditions? I'm sure these bods would have thought about this before simply dismissing it and making these claims - but am I looking at it from the wrong angle to suggest a life form can be something we don't always expect?

True. Who says a life form has to be solid, for example?

*Playing devil's advocat*

Those are the kind of questions we could ask when we discuss God or the Holy Spirit. :p

True. Who says a life form has to be solid, for example?

Or carbon-based?  I read an article somewhere that theorised about life based on other elements.  Silicon is the one I remember, but there were others.  Unfortunately, it was in a magazine and in finnish, so no link. :(

One common misconception is that some people think life out there may be more advanced than our civilization. Who knows? It just may be a fledgling medieval like kingdoms, or TALKING animal mutant stuff, or TALKING rocks. We may never know for now.

Hey guys, anyone remember me? :) I've been gone for a long time, mostly because i'm not as much into maiden as i used to be, although I still listen one or 2 albums every now and then, but i came back to see how this place was doing.

Great thread!
As far as I know, the mission of this probe is to see if there are traces of life on Mars. This is a good first step, and in time, I believe that we'll be able to say for sure if there is or not life on Mars.

At the same time, I believe we have more pressing issues down here... Earth is in not such a good shape, so this is, I believe our priority. We can still do a lot for Earth, so instead of spending a huge amount in searching for life on Mars, we should start spending more on preserving the one here on Earth.

Colonizing it would be great fun, though. :D How do you think we should go about doing that? I think the frist step would be to make a tolerable atmosphere. How? somekind of foto-synthesis capable plants whcih don't require water. Do you guys know anything like it?

Black Ace said:
Hey guys, anyone remember me? :)

No?

:D Hahaha.  Since when has this place been about Maiden, anyway?  Don't be a stranger, no matter what tunes you're listening to.

ok ok, the universe revolves around the Earth, God gave us Mars to do with it whatever we please and if our manifest destiny is to GIVE IT life, by God SO BE IT! :p

Albie said:
Daleks are a life form. :D

:blink:
I think you'll find astrologers keep saying that Mars is making you more aggressive...astronomers say it is incapable of supporting [carbon-based] organisms.

Personally, if there is no life on Mars, and it can be terraformed, it should be done.  The carrying capacity of the Earth is something like 12 billion people, so our planet can theoretically support more of humanity, but only in an idealistic situation, where resources are shared equally among everyone (e.g. there is enough food in production for everyone to eat comfortably with some left over, yet people still starve).  Letting some of our population colonise another planet would help to bleed off this overpopulation problem, and could possibly open up more resources for our use.  However, ignoring the past's mistakes is foolish, and with thorough research, I can't see any colonisation project getting the go-ahead in this century.  Also, the emphasis should not be put on the Red Planet as a means for us to leave the husk of the Earth behind...we should still try and solve the problems here, as well.

And, if we find any Decepticons... :lol:

Raven said:
:blink:
I think you'll find astrologers keep saying that Mars is making you more aggressive...astronomers say it is incapable of supporting [carbon-based] organisms.
But I did say I mean, astrologers/scientist or whatever. :D

Onhell said:
Mars might be turned into a planetary prison... a la Australia :D

...So the Martians will beat us in cricket and steal all the NHS nurses in a few hundred years? :p

Beat us? That sounds like way to many people, they might beat you, but my countrymen refrain from such, um.... "sports" :p

Onhell said:
Beat us? That sounds like way to many people, they might beat you, but my countrymen refrain from such, um.... "sports" :p
Cricket is almost as good as Football. You should try it.

Back