TNOTB/BOH triple vinyl: Will you buy it or not?

TNOTB/BOH triple vinyl: Will you buy it or not?

• Yes

Votes: 20 31.7%
  • No

Votes: 43 68.3%

• Total voters
Sort of? My posts up above note that I think the vinyl sounds superior in sound and clarity compared to the boxset CD. However, I'm no audiophile and it could just be confirmation bias on my part.
Yep. Im not audiophile but got somewhat pretty ok system and collection of albums, some in even more pressings on cd and lp.
Im willing to bet that the lp sounds a bit more open and not as compressed as such on the cd..sometimes it's tiny difference when sometimes even more..

Yep. Im not audiophile but got somewhat pretty ok system and collection of albums, some in even more pressings on cd and lp.
Im willing to bet that the lp sounds a bit more open and not as compressed as such on the cd..sometimes it's tiny difference when sometimes even more..
It feels like I can clearly hear the two guitars better in each channel, for one. And the drums snap crackle and pop like a beast.

Surprised there hasn't been much talk on this now that it's off, I got my hands on a copy and am listening now.

I really like the liner notes from Steve, we rarely get those sorts of in depth comments from band members lately and there's some fun information if not anything we haven't heard before. I'll take it over the generic Maiden PR line that gets pasted everywhere. It's interesting to hear him give a sober take on the album, he mentions not being fond of Invaders or Gangland and talks about the album being made in a rush. He also acknowledges that there's a missing guitar solo in Gangland - is that the first time a band member has acknowledged this error?

I like the imagery on the vinyl packaging, some photos I haven't seen before and a really cool inner gatefold. The excerpts from the tour program are great, especially if (like I presume most people here) you don't have the original program. My only really gripe is I hate the flimsy triple gatefold that Maiden has been using for these releases. En Vivo is basically a large sleeve, like a mini box set, with inner sleeves for each disc inside. That to me is much more durable. These triple gatefolds feel like they're going to tear easily and it makes me not really want to touch them more than I have to. Something like what they did with En Vivo + a foldout insert would've been better IMO.

OK on to the audio. Not sure if anyone has confirmed this already, but the master appears to be the same as what they released on CD in 2015. If I had to guess, it's probably a digital source (meh). It sounds good though, way better than the 2014 issue. To my ears it is more compressed than the original vinyl, but honestly, you're likely going to pay the same for an original as this package and the differences are marginal so YMMV. This renders the 2014 issue obsolete though which is pretty much all you can ask for (the 2014 btw is going for ridiculous prices on Amazon, if you don't have any of the new reissues on vinyl and want them I would snatch them while you can as the prices have been getting inflated).

Changing the track order may be blasphemous but, again, there are so many versions of this out on vinyl that I don't mind a different sequencing. It's also definitely an improvement if I'm being honest. Not only is Total Eclipse a better song, but it's a nice contrast from Run to the Hills and better sets up Hallowed. The fact that this song was mixed separately from the rest of the album back in the day and is now also a separate master from the rest of the album is really obvious though. It sounds quite a bit different than the rest, and Bruce's vocals are really low in the mix. Man Total Eclipse is a banger though. Bring it back!!

Beast Over Hammersmith: I did a bit of an A/B comparison on this new issue and the 2002 CD. Most people aren't going to notice an auditory difference here I reckon, but I slightly prefer this new vinyl issue to the Eddie's Archive CD. Slightly less compressed and I feel like the bass is a bit more present. Has that crisp classic Maiden tone.

Finally, a general note for those who are on the fence because of the pricing. Vinyl is a ridiculous bubble right now. It's not just Maiden, everybody is overpressing stuff and gauging prices because the demand for vinyl is so high. While a lot of Maiden stuff tends to hold its value (most of the back catalog reissues for example probably won't ever come down), they are probably going to press way more of these NOTBs than there are people who want or are willing to pay full price for one. They are already slashing prices on pretty much everything Senjutsu (I am kicking myself for paying full price for the box). If you are interested but don't want to pay full price, wait it out and it'll be $35 by next year. I do think this set is worth the price of admission though, mostly for the fantastic live album.

I gave in myself as its at £50 on Amazon and ive been asking for BOH on black for ages. Its a nice package. Havent listened to TNOTB yet but believe its the 2015 remaster apart from Total Eclipse. BOH sounds very nice. I cant tell too much difference from the 2002 CD but then i havent listened to that for a while. Overall i think its a must have for a Maiden vinyl collectors like myself if only for BOH, especially as its one of my fav Maiden live efforts

Surprised there hasn't been much talk on this now that it's off, I got my hands on a copy and am listening now.

I really like the liner notes from Steve, we rarely get those sorts of in depth comments from band members lately and there's some fun information if not anything we haven't heard before. I'll take it over the generic Maiden PR line that gets pasted everywhere. It's interesting to hear him give a sober take on the album, he mentions not being fond of Invaders or Gangland and talks about the album being made in a rush. He also acknowledges that there's a missing guitar solo in Gangland - is that the first time a band member has acknowledged this error?

I like the imagery on the vinyl packaging, some photos I haven't seen before and a really cool inner gatefold. The excerpts from the tour program are great, especially if (like I presume most people here) you don't have the original program. My only really gripe is I hate the flimsy triple gatefold that Maiden has been using for these releases. En Vivo is basically a large sleeve, like a mini box set, with inner sleeves for each disc inside. That to me is much more durable. These triple gatefolds feel like they're going to tear easily and it makes me not really want to touch them more than I have to. Something like what they did with En Vivo + a foldout insert would've been better IMO.

OK on to the audio. Not sure if anyone has confirmed this already, but the master appears to be the same as what they released on CD in 2015. If I had to guess, it's probably a digital source (meh). It sounds good though, way better than the 2014 issue. To my ears it is more compressed than the original vinyl, but honestly, you're likely going to pay the same for an original as this package and the differences are marginal so YMMV. This renders the 2014 issue obsolete though which is pretty much all you can ask for (the 2014 btw is going for ridiculous prices on Amazon, if you don't have any of the new reissues on vinyl and want them I would snatch them while you can as the prices have been getting inflated).

Changing the track order may be blasphemous but, again, there are so many versions of this out on vinyl that I don't mind a different sequencing. It's also definitely an improvement if I'm being honest. Not only is Total Eclipse a better song, but it's a nice contrast from Run to the Hills and better sets up Hallowed. The fact that this song was mixed separately from the rest of the album back in the day and is now also a separate master from the rest of the album is really obvious though. It sounds quite a bit different than the rest, and Bruce's vocals are really low in the mix. Man Total Eclipse is a banger though. Bring it back!!

Beast Over Hammersmith: I did a bit of an A/B comparison on this new issue and the 2002 CD. Most people aren't going to notice an auditory difference here I reckon, but I slightly prefer this new vinyl issue to the Eddie's Archive CD. Slightly less compressed and I feel like the bass is a bit more present. Has that crisp classic Maiden tone.

Finally, a general note for those who are on the fence because of the pricing. Vinyl is a ridiculous bubble right now. It's not just Maiden, everybody is overpressing stuff and gauging prices because the demand for vinyl is so high. While a lot of Maiden stuff tends to hold its value (most of the back catalog reissues for example probably won't ever come down), they are probably going to press way more of these NOTBs than there are people who want or are willing to pay full price for one. They are already slashing prices on pretty much everything Senjutsu (I am kicking myself for paying full price for the box). If you are interested but don't want to pay full price, wait it out and it'll be $35 by next year. I do think this set is worth the price of admission though, mostly for the fantastic live album.
My copy is sitting here but of course my receiver went on the fritz before receiving it. Looking forward to spinning it soon.

It has been on my Amazon wish list for months. I was waiting for it to go below £40 (£30 was my initial goal but that was unrealistic). For weeks it sat at £43 and I didn’t give in. Now it has gone back to full price…

Does anybody remember when it initially got announced and was released last year? Asking this has to do with my hope of a similar release about the Piece Of Mind 40th anniversary. I can't imagine celebration is over yet by three POM-Tshirts in the official Maiden store. So, is there hope for something more? Triple vinyl with the Dortmund show would be nice, or maybe even Hammy '83 which was a great gig obviously.
And as to the Tshirts in their store: I'm expecting more to come. They had a Tshirt-edition called "The Legacy"-collection. Improved material quality compared to their reguar shirts, and they did releases since 2021 40 years Killers anniversary. It would actually surprise me if there wasn't a shirt with World Piece Tour globe destroy image. Would be cool.

Reactions: Yax
Does anybody remember when they released the announcement last year for the TNOTB anniversary triple vinyl? I guess around the same time this year an announcement regarding some Piece Of Mind anniversary release should be made. Isn't it about time yet (compared to last year)?

If they are going to do something from the Future Past tour then they probably won't do something for Piece of Mind as well

Does anybody remember when they released the announcement last year for the TNOTB anniversary triple vinyl? I guess around the same time this year an announcement regarding some Piece Of Mind anniversary release should be made. Isn't it about time yet (compared to last year)?

Wasn’t this question already answered in the previous post?

If they are going to do something from the Future Past tour then they probably won't do something for Piece of Mind as well
I think one wouldn't replace the other. TFP still continues, and if somthing is going to be released it'll take time to be edited and all that anyway. A POM anniversary release could be the plan for this year, maybe in a limited edition, while a Future Past release might be scheduled for spring 2024. They could make additional money with a POM anniversary thing. And would Smallwood miss a chance in generating income?

Has Iron Maiden ever commemorated an album the way they have with Number of the Beast? Besides, the 40th anniversary vinyl just repackaged stuff that has already been available before. POM would require them digging into the archives more and right now it doesn’t seem like the band is interested in that.

Has Iron Maiden ever commemorated an album the way they have with Number of the Beast? Besides, the 40th anniversary vinyl just repackaged stuff that has already been available before. POM would require them digging into the archives more and right now it doesn’t seem like the band is interested in that.
Sounds plausible in a way. At least your point with them focussing more on TNOTB ever since. They could e.g. easily have re-released Killers in 2021 as an anniversary 2LP with Maiden Japan attached to it. Or maybe even with the full Nagoya show, in that case as triple vinyl. But they didn't.

I doubt we’ll get fuck all from Maiden in the form of a special 40th POM release.

All we got for the debut was a record store day picture disc, nothing for killers either. NOTB is the maiden album that always crops up in top 50 metal albums of all time polls and magazines and websites have gushed about it for years. Also it was Bruce’s debut so easy to see why that got something as beast over Hammersmith was already there too just never released on vinyl so it was a no brainier and quite lazy package to be honest.

Back