Three Amigos (spoilers?)

Most of the songs on the SBIT setlist are pre-Jannick.  The only Jannick era song is Fear of the Dark.

Just wondering if they are going to allow Jannick to play some of Dave and Adrian solos to even things up.  I'm hoping no, since I like to hear the persons that actually played the solos on the recorded version.  They usually give Jannick the Adrian solos on Revelations and Hallowed Be Thy Name.  Anybody know if they gave Jannick any extra for the India gig?
Thanks    :)

Re: Three Amigos

Hi there, welcome aboard.

Please make sure that any discussion of the ongoing tour is appropriately spoilered.  Spoiler tags can be found in the emoticon tool bar or work like such:

Code:
[spoiler]STUFF[/spoiler]

Thanks in advance,
LC & the Mod Team

Re: Three Amigos

Yeah, if there are any Australians here, it would be nice if they could try and track who's playing the solos (and report here). :D

Brian Maiden, you are supposed to use spoiler tags. This was your second warning. One more offense and you're out of here.

I had received the earlier warning about spoiler tags.  But posting that the recorded song Heaven Can Wait has 4 solos (fact) isin't a spoiler, so I didn't think that it needed a spoiler tag.  I suppose to keep from getting removed from this forum, I can simply label every entry as spoiler.

I've got a suggestion - since the grand majority of people here already know the setlist and wish to discuss it, why not simply create a subforum here named "SBIT Tour - spoiler topics", where we could freely discuss the tour without having to keep track of what is and isn't a spoiler?

Or, alternately, if a topic title contains the word "spoiler", shouldn't that be enough of a warning to those who don't want to be spoiled?

Item 1 - Mentioning a song that is in the tour is a spoiler, even to relegate statistical data about that song.  Some people who have tickets for later shows want to be surprised by *every song*.

Item 2 - You can never be too careful.  All we're asking for is a little courtesy and asking people to label topics and posts appropriately.  I apologize that it adds 2-3 extra seconds to the time it takes to post, but we are asking people to be discretionary and to err on the side of caution here.

Item 3 - Many people use the "show new posts since last visit" option.  Those people may see a spoiler post regardless of where on the forum it is located, or regardless of the topic inclusion "spoilers".

Item 4 - A forum cannot be created simply by snapping our fingers, but it will be mentioned with RW.

LooseCannon is right. There are a lot of people that do not want to hear about the setlist prior to the show. If we can make them happy by adding just two simple tags in our posts, then so be it.

Now, on topic :

Heaven Can Wait features two solos. Dave plays the solo before the "take my hand..." and the singalong part. Adrian's solo starts on the last part of the singalong, and ends just before the verse kicks in again.

But, H's solo has three different successive parts, licks on the singalong part, then the main solo, than those "happy" melodies before the verse kicks in again.

Therefore, there can be a bit of variation in the playing there. If they want to pass something to Janick, H can play the licks, then Janick can play the main part, and they can play the final melodies as harmony. Or anything alike.

Janick's guitar style can be a great asset to some songs, and personally if the guys would let him add an extra solo, or play along with the others, would be ROTAM, Powerslave, Revelations, and he's perfect in Moonchild!

Mmm Donuts, I disagree with you.

Janick played the first Moonchild solo very badly, as we all could see on a few 2008 tour videos posted at Youtube. Someone doesn't have to be a guitar player to notice that. That solo sounded awful...bad choice of notes, unnecessary shredding. For those who may think I don't like Janick, that's not the case. I do support him and wish he can become a better player in no time, but he doesn't help it ! Have you heard the latest ? Steve Harris whisperers to Adrian and Dave before Janick performs the classic solos  " Bring your solos, bring your solos to the slaughter..." . In case you haven't seen the Moonchild video, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZ436hlUw8

I do enjoy when Jannick "echos" the main solos, but personally don't care for when he plays his version of the original guitarists' solos.  I've shyed away from the youtube videos of this tour.  I will wait to see/hear for myself in New Jersey next month.  I can't wait!

the one Janick did for Moonchild in Perth was quite good I thought.  Regardless, I never thought Moonchild was even that good a solo by H.  Quite literally it may be in my bottom 3 for him post-Powerslave

InfiniteDreamer said:
Mmm Donuts, I disagree with you.

Janick played the first Moonchild solo very badly, as we all could see on a few 2008 tour videos posted at Youtube. Someone doesn't have to be a guitar player to notice that. That solo sounded awful...bad choice of notes, unnecessary shredding. For those who may think I don't like Janick, that's not the case. I do support him and wish he can become a better player in no time, but he doesn't help it ! Have you heard the latest ? Steve Harris whisperers to Adrian and Dave before Janick performs the classic solos  " Bring your solos, bring your solos to the slaughter..." . In case you haven't seen the Moonchild video, here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4AZ436hlUw8

My thoughts were really more of songs he would fit his play style in, what I meant are songs that he could help contribute, since Moonchild's instrumental section is frantic, so I thought he would fit right in between or after H and Dave's solo. To be personal I do enjoy Janick's guitar style too, and some choice of notes show energy.
I do agree that some old solos should be performed by the original performer, but I was thinking in a way that he would add to a solo. Sometimes overboard can be too much.

Having been a devout follower of H for many years my initial thoughts to Jan taking some solos is one of horror however I think in the interests of fairness it is only right. Adrian decided to leave the band and they were forced to replace him with Jannick, who like him or love him, did an effing good job and weighed in with some excellent songwriting as well. He brought a new energy to the band with his live performances and he linked up with Mr Murray very well. During Adrian's absence the band continued to tour and were not restricted to songs without Adrian's solos so someone had to do them!! it would then be unfair on Jan to give all the solo's back to H when he returned as the setlist has continued to be (AMOLAD excepted) made up largely of Golden Era material plus material from the album they were touring with. (RTH, Trooper, TNOTB, HBTN etc etc.)

As the blonde bomber has been the only ever present guitarist on all the albums you can't ask Davey to give up his solo's so it was only fair that Jan and Adrian share some of the solos or as in The Trooper and, I think, The Evil That Men Do, they play the solo together.

I do however think that some of the longer songs could handle three solos and have wondered why that they havent decided to implement this. i suppose it probably came down to 'Arry who may have said something like "If it ain't effing broke, don't effing fix it"

Sorry if i have broken any spoiler rules but i dont think I have spoken about the tour anywhere...

Back in the Village said:
Sorry if i have broken any spoiler rules but i dont think I have spoken about the tour anywhere...

You're fine.  Only information relating specifically to the current tour are spoilers.  And I can't ban Willis, I'm too scared.

Back