Thoughts on Steve Harris British Lion?

Liked it, not that popular on here though.
There is a dedicated thread on here that I'm too lazy to find right now.

Last edited:
I was just thinking I should give that another try sometime. I listened to it once and really disliked it, but it's Steve Harris so I'm willing to give it another chance.

The concerts are great! Album could have stronger sound, but I like the majority of the songs.

Underwhelming run of the mill 70's tinged hard rock with a sub par vocalist. A shame because some of the songs are pretty good and would sound much better with a great vocalist....

You definitely can't liken it to Maiden, very different. Laid-back and with a nod towards retro, classic rock. They're not out there trying to do anything groundbreaking, but are clearly enjoying making music and have some decent tunes. I'm with Foro on this, the vocals sound quite soft and understated on the album, but the singer is pretty powerful live, and a surprisingly energetic frontman. I've seen them three (?) times now, all in incredibly small venues, and would see them again. The atmosphere is always good. I have my fingers crossed for a second album fairly soon.

I've no doubt that they are much better live. It's also the sort of rock that usually does well at a small intimate venue. Add to that the extra "Oomph" of a live sound...I wouldn't mind seeing them live.

I liked the album. Lost Worlds, Eyes of the Young and These Are The Hands are my favourites.

The singer sounds better live though.

One of the unreleased tracks which I really like as well. It will propably be the highlight on the next album!

Last edited:
If I was in a town, or near a town (say, 2 hr drive) where British Lion was playing, I'd go. But the British Lion album did not convince me it is worth more than that in a trip. Maybe it is better live, but if it's not good enough on the album to convince me to go to the concert, then whether or not the singer is better live is fairly irrelevant.

Paying 30+ Euros for the gig was too expensive for me, based on the album.

What? Is that including travel costs or something?

I paid around 20 for a ticket (including service costs). Tickets were 22,50 at the venue.

That is expensive. It was £15 per ticket here, about 17,50 Euros under the current exchange rate. Less than any other band I've seen in recent years.

If I was in a town, or near a town (say, 2 hr drive) where British Lion was playing, I'd go. But the British Lion album did not convince me it is worth more than that in a trip. Maybe it is better live, but if it's not good enough on the album to convince me to go to the concert, then whether or not the singer is better live is fairly irrelevant.

I would like to see the band but must also admit that seeing Harris up close is a very big draw....Everyone at their show are Maiden fans as well I suspect :D

Back